Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women ski instructors

Poster: A snowHead
For me, it was a magic carpet lift in the beginners area, freshly waxed skis, and that horrible "I'm sliding backwards" feeling, quickly followed by a miffed local snowboard instructor who was on the receiving end of my frantic attempt to stay on-board, which i did, just.

Later in the day it was quite funny to see one of the local instructors actually fall off the thing Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski,
Quote:

Or maybe they might say 'you looked crap' or 'I saw you fall over on' or .......... or.............

That's the one snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Er....didn't Alison Hargreaves "solo" Everest....without oxygen?? And then successfully climbed K2 (tragically killed during a storm on the decent).

I think the term "be all you can be" applies here....regardless of gender.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If a certain percentage of women like skiing and teaching enough to do the entry level exams, why do fewer of them than men continue through the system, that's what I'm asking.

beanie1, You might have to actually ask them in the end, as all that you will get here is lively debate and opinion.
Confused Puzzled Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GreyCat wrote:
Er....didn't Alison Hargreaves "solo" Everest....without oxygen??

Ok, Ok, if want to look at it that way. Yes Alison was alone so (technically) she was in an all female team (of 1)
I never said (some) women can't climb - I climb with some real top, well-ard gezzeressess. I said nowt of note has ever been done by an all female team, and it ain't wink

But if you/I were to be pedantic; I would define a team as more than 1.

Last post on ths topic
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MarjMJ, I am asking them, here!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, you had some very circular logic throughout this thread.

First, you're the one who started to claim there're few female mountaineers because they're not strong enough.

When other offer example of teams of all women who climbed high peaks, you discount "all female team" as nothing but PC.

Then you discounted a solo female climber by saying she's not in a "team".

So with your logic, any women climbing alone is not in a "team". But if she's in a "all women team", it's artificial & daff. And if she's in a mixed gender team, it's proof women can't climb without man... So they can't win, can they?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
Wayne, you had some very circular logic throughout this thread.

First, you're the one who started to claim there're few female mountaineers because they're not strong enough.

Yep - there are "few" as "most" ain't. Mind you most blokes can't hack it either.

abc wrote:
When other offer example of teams of all women who climbed high peaks, you discount "all female team" as nothing but PC.

No - I said that nothing "notable" has ever been done by all female teams and yeah most all female groups are just there to prove a PC idea women are the same as men. They ain't ya know. No it's not being sexist it's being real regarding physical abilities (not learned abilities but just natural male/female stuff)

abc wrote:
Then you discounted a solo female climber by saying she's not in a "team".

Again - the point. Loads of women can climb well. Some have done notable stuff (but never inan all fmale team), like Alison and her Everest thingy. But - again - she did it as she was Alison not as someone with something to prove. And no she wasn’t in a "team" or it wouldn't have been a "solo" climb.

OK - this is the main point. Mountains are not, will never become, should not, etc etc be a place where your gender is important. As soon as you get above advance base camp you become a person, not a tag. You ain't a female, male, black, white, or whatever else is important back in the world. You are a mountaineer. And this is what the organisers of all females team never seem to get.
Mountains are probably the only place left where you do what you can and if you can't its tuff, it's not the fault of the government, society, your teachers, parents, etc etc. it's no-one's fault. eg. you’re not tall enough (like me) to reach that hold, your not strong enough to carry the loads, you don't have enough muscle mass to keep warm, etc.

Men and women are the same above advance BC and because of the physical requirements of high altitude climbing there will always be more men that get there than women.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This entire thread has ignored one obvious fact: in just about any profession that recruits men and women pretty much equally at entry level, when you get to the top of the tree, women are vastly underrepresented.

In my field, the biological sciences, women undergraduates outnumber men about 60%:40%.

Among graduate students (studying for PhDs) the numbers fall back to about 50-50 or 40-60ish.

As you move through the career grades, the numbers become massively male-dominant, so that there are still relatively few female professors, despite decades of equal-opportunity legislation.

- This pattern is equally true of other walks of life (bankers, accountants, lawyers, medics. etc.) and it reflects the continued tension in our society between the desires of women to produce and nurture children, on the one hand, and to have a high-profile career on the other. Not to mention the ingrained prejudice of the senior (and therefore male-dominated) hierarchies that determine employment and promotion that still holds the glass ceiling firmly in place.

Ski instruction is no different.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Acacia, good point. If, like me, you don't want/have children the problem still exists because they don't believe you! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Acacia, you just beat me to making the same point, but much more eloquently and cogently argued than I would have done.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, indeed, though there are women - myself included - who still decide they don't want a high-profile career, even though they don't/won't have children. In other words, they lack ambition, or at least the willingness to sustain that ambition (I retired relatively soon after having reached what could be described as the top of my profession) and that possibly reflects that we are hard-wired to produce and look after children, even if we end up not doing so. At least that's one possible theory...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Acacia, yes very good point. Certainly in my profession (surveying) this is the case, but what is true at the top reflects who was entering the profession 15 - 20 years ago. Now there are lots more women entering the profession than there were 20 years ago, and progressively more going up the ladder.

So yes, there will always be a drop out rate of those women who decide not to return to work or maybe work part time after having children, but I think the numbers will change. Primary reason being that of the couples of my age I know there are very very few who would be able to afford their mortgage on one salary! The cost of housing in the past (even for those now in their 30s and 40s with children) meant the mother giving up work was an option, in the future I think it will be an option only for the very wealthiest. Or conversely the least well off, where the mother was earning less than the cost of childcare prior to having children.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Acacia wrote:
- This pattern is equally true of other walks of life (bankers, accountants, lawyers, medics. etc.) and it reflects the continued tension in our society between the desires of women to produce and nurture children, on the one hand, and to have a high-profile career on the other. Not to mention the ingrained prejudice of the senior (and therefore male-dominated) hierarchies that determine employment and promotion that still holds the glass ceiling firmly in place.

While it's true "many" women prefer to produce and nurture, this has long been an over-used excuse to cover up the prejudice at EVERY level. Not just at the senior leve where only old men inhibits. But at every level where there is competition. By "assuming" ALL women prefer to produce and nurture, many women were passed over for key position and significant promotion.

Not all women were discriminated at EVERY level, but just enough of them at frequent enough interval to tilt the playing field to produce even fewer female at the top level than their natural inclination would have resulted.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, I don't disagree that there has been, and continues to be, some discrimination against women, but I also think that, for some women, the need and perceived right to produce and nurture, is an over-used excuse to under-achieve!
snow report
Acacia wrote:
In my field, the biological sciences, women undergraduates outnumber men about 60%:40%.

Among graduate students (studying for PhDs) the numbers fall back to about 50-50 or 40-60ish.

As you move through the career grades, the numbers become massively male-dominant, so that there are still relatively few female professors, despite decades of equal-opportunity legislation.

That's not true of my field of study, physics.

There were ~15% women in first year undergraduate.

There were ~15% entering graduate school (and graduate Ph.D. degree)

Of the faculty in the department, there were ~15% women.

Majority of the women faculty were married, with children.

My personal, though totally unscientifically proven, theory is the following:

1) The low number of student entering the study program reflects the society's view of women as (un-suitable) physicist.

2) The acedemic environment was relatively free of such open prejudice against women. So same percentage of women as men in the program graduate and move onto post-graduate study, and later into professional career as physicists (or other related field).

3) Hence, my conclusion being prejudice was a very significant reason for women NOT advancing to higher level, while natural differences between male and female only partly responsible for the overall percentage of women at top level of any profession.
ski holidays
Hurtle, you have a point there. Very Happy
ski holidays
I think there are some differences between ski instructing as a career and other options - for example medicine, law, in which despite the odds being stacked against them, many women have succeeded. I suppose a combination of having to work away from "home" (assuming the prospective instructor is British) and being prepared to work very long and hard for rather a small amount of money and little prospect of a comfortable and well-financed retirement. To be fair, there are also rather few male British ski instructors in the top rank - for some of the same reason. In Alpine villages there are plenty of female ski instructors - not as many as men, but they are hardly a rarity.
latest report
pam w, I was actually going to say the opposite! If you're a career instructor you'll live in resort anyway (at least part of the year), rather than just be doing "seasons" as youngsters do which evidently wouldn't work with a family. I think ski teaching is probably much more family friendly than careers in medicine, law etc as you wouldn't be working such long hours. A Swiss instructor friend of mine recently had a baby, she worked up until about 7 months!! (with the tiny kids on nursery slope, so not on her skis in latter stages). She is now a full time mum in summer (her partner has a year round career) and a ski teacher in winter, currently grandparents are childminding whilst she works, but that is only until her daughter starts school.
snow conditions
abc wrote:

1) The low number of student entering the study program reflects the society's view of women as (un-suitable) physicist.

I'm not sure that "society" has a view on who makes a suitable physicist. When I was at school it was noticeble at A level how previously very capable girls dropped physical sciences in favour of biology, social "sciences" and languages. It was probably the opposite in modern languages.
snow report
fatbob, in my A-Level Biology class there were definitely more girls than boys, I think I can only remember 3 boys in the class actually, in my A-Level Physics class there was only me and 2 other girls and the rest of the class were boys, and in A-Level Maths there were more boys than girls but only by a few. I'm not sure of the reasons why not many girls chose Physics because there were girls in my Maths class who were more than capable of doing both.
ski holidays
beanie1, yes, no problem at all for Alpine based ski instructors on their own home territory - plenty of extended family around to look after kids etc etc. The last female French instructor I skied with had 2 kids and pointed out one of them in a class with a colleague, on a Saturday morning. In the summer she made cheese. But my point was that ski teaching is hardly "family friendly" for UK based families. How many instructors earn enough to keep their families in resort on one income? And how many ski instructors' partners want to spend the winter in a cramped apartment with children? My son shared an apartment in Tignes with a top qualified BASI instructor who was working constantly all season. They shared a teeny weeny and very expensive one bed apartment - and took in lodgers from time to time to boost their income. That's fine for someone in their early 20s but hardly a tempting way of life for a prospective partner. "Is it our turn for the bedroom this week darling? And can we get rid of those smelly ski bums who've been dossing under the dining table?"
snow report
pam w, you don't have to live like that, and the top levels of ski instructing pay well. Friend of mine earnt enough teaching one private client in Courchevel for 10 days to pay his UK mortgage for the whole year... True if you have children you need a supportive partner, but that is the same for any career to some extent,
snow report
Quote:

True if you have children you need a supportive partner, but that is the same for any career to some extent

Yes, but in terms of annual earning power the average ski instructor really doesn't do that well - they are builders/farmers/mountain guides/gardeners etc the rest of the year, to make ends meet. The fact that a few might get well paid, or get some handsome tips from time to time, is hardly a sound basis for a career plan and realistically any British skier contemplating life as a ski instructor will have to accept just a moderate income - with little security. Someone aiming to do pretty well in medicine, law, banking, etc can reasonably expect to be able to earn enough to have a decent house, afford help with child care, and for their partner to have an opportunity to have their own career for much of the time too. Only a very small minority of ski instructors can sensibly aim for anything of the sort.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
abc wrote:

I'm not sure that "society" has a view on who makes a suitable physicist. When I was at school it was noticeble at A level how previously very capable girls dropped physical sciences in favour of biology, social "sciences" and languages. It was probably the opposite in modern languages.

I think they DO, unfortunately!

That's why "capable" girls don't take physics. Fortunately, theres much less of such prejudice for girls in math.

(not that physicist being such a ssort after career, but it's a great undergraduate field of study for any advance study in most science, engineering and many other technical field)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 9-07-09 21:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
pam w, I see your point and also as I've mentioned elsewhere on this thread the cost involved with actually getting to top level has to be taken into consideration too, because it takes a while to earn back that money you've spent. The same could be said for doing a university degree I know but certainly it is possible to earn more than a top level ski instructor (per year because theirs is across 5-6 months usually) in medicine, law, finance, other health related occupations, sales management etc. It would be reasonable to say they (top level instructors) probably earn more than people doing unskilled or semi skilled jobs though and rightly so, because a lot of training has to be undertaken to get to the top level of course.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5,
It "may" be that female and male lower level ski instructors (L1, L2) look at continuing in the system differently.
From a male point of view there is, many times, just a desire to continue to the next course either with a view to "getting the badge" or just as an appraisal of their ability.
But it "may" be that female teachers will take a longer view and consider the overall outcome, ie. see the continuation as a career choice, and they decide against it.

Do women see going on courses as career training, where men see it as ski training ? I don't know the answer.
snow report
pam w, Spot on as usual.

beanie1, Your friend would be unusual. The odd wealthy client (and then only in places like Courcheval of course) do not make an annual income. What would I do with my regular repeat clients if I said 'Oh, sorry, I've got a rich person who's going to pay for all my time that week - can't help you'? To put it in perspective: my turnover last year was around £30,000, (I've never seen any point in being coy about money) but that is TURNOVER. We did the summer camps and now I don't have ANY work for 3 weeks.... I wouldn't say it was well paid. I can't afford to hurt myself because I wouldn't be able to work, I can't be ill, and I have no pension.

I'm not complaining - it's my choice, and I couldn't consider doing anything else - but the truth of the matter is that it costs a fortune to do all the courses (not to mention the hard work), there are no grants or student loans, and in the end you have to live away from family, work very hard - wait till you've done a few weeks back to back at 7-8 hours a day, quite possibly for 5 months with only about 3 days off - and for not much of an income. To put it in perspective though, my sister is a technician at a school and I don't suppose she touches £20K for full time work (no hols like teachers) and keeping the kids safe from themselves and teachers who want to use bench saws the wrong way or the wrong welder on the wrong type of metal etc. etc.

All of this has nothing to do with women staying the course though IMO. Just a bit of background. I'm often amazed at how this idea that ski teachers (particularly in france) earn shedloads of money, is propogated. I still think that most female ski teachers just find it too hard to go against the grain to get to the level required.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, maybe he is unusual, but he still says he's better off working as an instructor in France, than he is in the UK. Like you say though, the work is erratic with no security, so wouldn't suit everyone.
snow report
Yes, benefits are another thing I thought of last night. I don't know if a teacher employed by a huge ski school like ESF would have the benefit of a company pension scheme that their employer contributes to as well as themselves, and possibly sick pay, but I'd have thought that the majority of ski teachers that work in France are self employed and work alone and have no benefits at all like all self employed, or, they are self employed but work as a director of a ski school with others and then they split the net profit between them. Or, they could work for a ski school but still be self employed or employed depending on how the ski school does things. If they are employed then it could be that the ski school may offer a group stakeholder pension scheme but I would have thought that only the employee would contribute to it rather than the employer as well. In all of those cases they have to fund their own retirement provision, and make provision for themselves in the case of accident or sickness. I don't know the ins and outs of individual arrangements, but I wouldn't be surprised if the above was true. I think it's bloomin' hard work when you think about it.

Maybe Wayne is right in saying that perhaps females take a more long term view and see the continuation as a career choice and after doing the first level or two think "Nah".

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 10-07-09 15:52; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Most instructors in france, including ESF and ESI are self-employed and the ski schools are run as a collective. When you're fully qualified and have been there for a while you can be voted a 'permanent' which allows you a share of the profits. Otherwise you just get an hourly rate (same for everyone at each stage). therefore most are entirely on their own WRT to insurance and pension etc. We do get good rates through the unions, but still - at my age it's not practical. The exceptions to the ski school setup, generally are the british schools, who mostly seem to employ instructors.

This is part of the reason why my ambition is to drop dead while teaching one day - not very nice for the class but no pension requirements! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
easiski, hmmm yes I can see the attraction of dropping dead compared to maybe 30 years after reaching age 65 on a much reduced income Laughing

Mind you, ski instructing aside it is well known in the UK that a lot of people have got inadequate pension provisions unless they have been fortunate enough to have a good employer scheme quite early on and have done plenty of years to build up a fair sized pot, or, have made investments in other ways.
ski holidays
The worst thing about teaching skiing is having to make enough money during the summer so you can afford to teach again next season! And this is true for either gender.

In my experience, there are less female instructors at the top because of the aggressiveness required to pass the ski exams, the females that fail tend to not be aggressive enough - which worries me because I'm not an aggressive skier but I'd like to be fully qualified with a goal of becoming an examiner. But it could also be true for men as well - a friend failed L3 this year because he was not aggressive enough (obviously skied like a girl - try telling that to Julia Mancuso Razz )
snow report
pollittcl, Interesting that you see the same thing from the other side of the pond. However it's slightly different in europe where we can and do earn enough while doing the job, but need to save enough to get us through the summer. Shocked This year I made very sure to have enough in the bank at the end of the season to pay the mortgage until November (although I'm eating into it by not having any work at the moment). However that did mean no LPG for my van and no big expenses on the house either. Sad
ski holidays
easiski, I wish I was able to save enough to get me through the summer, but the reality is I'm lucky if I make enough during the season to pay rent and living expenses for just the winter months. Shocked It's expensive to live in the mountains, but I'd rather be doing this than anything else! snowHead And with tips and babysitting I do usually make a profit for the season. The summer can be hard for me - I can't imagine what it's like for people who have a mortgage to pay year round.

If I'm every fully qualified I'll make more money, but that goes around to the aggressivemess factor again - I don't think I'm aggressive enough so L3 cert is going to be hard for me.
ski holidays
pollittcl, I'm sure you can do it one way or another. L3 is not ISTD, so the requirement shouldn't be unattainable. If you get a chance try to do a bit of work with Fastman and I'm sure he'll help. I know IIRC that you're not int he same neck of the woods - but the trip would surely be worthwhile.

Yeah - mortgage and only me to pay it - runs until I'm 70! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
Here in the US my observations have been that the percentage of female instructors fall slightly below that of the gender ratios in the general skiing public. I suppose it could partially be attributed to the intimidation factor of having to compete with men for a spot on the squad.

As far as selections of candidates here, it has much to do with looks and personality. That goes for men and women. I've heard many a high ranking PSIA examiner/director say, "we can teach em to ski later". The nature of ski school lessons over here are that most are one time shots, so schmoozing clients goes farther than actually providing a quality lessson and guidance that might lead to a long term impact on their skiing skills. Sad, in my eyes, but true. So the superficials of pearly white smiles and hot bods goes a long way. And while the looks/personality factor goes for both genders, I have to say that I've seen it carry much heavier weight with the women. I've seen selection processes take place first hand, where women who couldn't ski their way out of a paper bag were hired for nothing more than the opportunity to add pretty new prey in the locker room. I guess we shouldn't be shocked,,, why would we thinking things would be different in skiing than they are anywhere else in life?

Of course truly talanted women come along too, and they generally write their own ticket onto the squad and ascend up the ranks, if that is their goal. It's quite easy over here, as the ranks are not well stocked with talent to begin with. These talanted women usually come out of the racing community, and my race programs have over the years produced many of these ladies who have gravitated to instructing and coaching at a high level. Real talant can generally call it's own shots, regardless of the gender.

One comment I want to add here for the ladies in the audience. Don't feel as a woman you have to be inherently intimidated on the slopes by the boys. Any woman can ascend to the top rung of this sport if they have a mind to. Yes, ANY WOMAN! You can become more skilled than 99 percent of the male recreational skiing community. Many men try to get by on their brawn, not focusing on real skill development, and end up skiing like hacks. Ladies, you're the ones not afraid to stop along the road and ask for directions, and that innate trait is your advantage. With real skill development you can effortlessly ski circles around the muscle bound bone heads trying to horse their way down the mountain. This is not just a pie in the sky pep talk I'm spewing here. I speak from the experience of helping countless women over the years reach that level. It's plain and simple fact.

pollittcl, PSIA level 3 is not out of the reach of anyone, male or female, if they really want it. It's not so much having to have balls to the walls aggression, t's really more a matter of just developing your skills. As that happens, your skiing will look more aggressive to observers, yet feel more safe and controlled to you. Strange yet true, because skills breed confidence, and confidence breeds speed. As easiski suggested, I'd be happy to help you realize your goals in any manner I can. I actually have a number of PSIA instructors who are currently using my program to achieve their skiing and certification goals.
snow conditions
Quote:

With real skill development you can effortlessly ski circles around the muscle bound bone heads trying to horse their way down the mountain.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin too true, A female race coach told me to be "less bull and more china shop" recently Laughing
snow conditions
skimottaret, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Met a friend of yours from Mottaret today - Philippe from ESF - does parapenting at ADH in summer.
latest report
FastMan, I'd be grateful for any help with L3 - I should be attempting it within the next 2 seasons. Thank-you.

I agree with your observations on the hiring of women for ski school - and it seem as though it's the young pretty ones who can't stand the very male environment in the locker room, so they don't last more than a couple of seasons although snowboard instructors seem to stay longer. Shocked In our ski school as a woman you have to be willing to teach kids, although we don't do kids groups, which some women don't want to do. It usually takes a few seasons before you're accepted enough to teach the women's program, and it helps if you're L2 or L3 - so if you want work it's going to be with the kids, if you get any work at all, especially during a slow season like this last one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy