Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic X110 m series boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been reading the forum for quite a while, but now I need to ask a question so have registered (apologies for the lurking!)

I have two questions, if anyone would care to help I would much appreciate it:

Firstly, I have always hired boots, and suffered either in lack of fit or lack of return for it I suppose. I have been considering a custom fit before my next ski holiday and am torn between the solutions4feet in Bicester, (which I know many of you rave about), and Profeet in London. I have had many recommendations for Profeet for their running shoes, (have always been a summer and winter sports fanatic really!), and I am very close to London, so this would be the easiest travel option. I wondered which you would all generally recommend, or are they of the same quality and I should take advantage of being near the Big Smoke?

Secondly, I have 'proffed' a set of Atomic x110 m series boots in a 26.5 - I understand they have heat mouldable linings. What would be the best way of moulding these other than simply skiing them until they shape?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fr0sty, I can only speak for solutions4feet as I've not been to profeet. I had excellent boot fitting here and highly recommend. He also does running shoes too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So guys, are these X110's any good? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski wrote:
So guys, are these X110's any good? Puzzled

Its a bit like Cinderella, if the boot matches the foot your laughing, if not your stuck with her her ugly sisters.
AFAIK atomic make good boots but I have a Salomon shaped foot so cant offer anymore.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fr0sty, Welcome to Snowheads!

These are good boots, they are a special edition of the M series, I have the M100 and they are great. For me.

Can't comment personally on either shop but have read great reviews about both from here and elsewhere.

From your point of view I would ask yourself the following;

As RPF, says foot shape is often a big issue. Atomic's tend to suit broad forefoot and narrow heel/ankle people. If you've hired a few times did you ever hire a pair of them, and were they comfortable?

What your level of skiing is? these are 110's so satisfy yourself that, even if they can be fitted, you can ski in them? Rembering that you will not be able to flex the same on the hill next winter as you can in your lounge in this weather.

Take them along to either, I am sure they will give you an honest opinion. If they say no then listen, the £200+ you spend on properly fitted boots will be the best money you ever spend on skiing!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,
thanks for the replies.

I think I have used Atomic boots before, and feel that the wider foot to narrow (ish) ankle claim seems right as it suits me. However, this doesn't mean I have an 'Atomic' foot I imagine, as I've never had a custom fit done.
The 110 series boot which I have is brand new, feels tight as new boots should but with the early signs of a good fit on both feet. I believe, (guessing?), that when it packs out at most all I'll need would be a possible punch at the big toe or so.

I'm just guessing / judging here based on past experience.

I think for less than £40 new, they were a good option as seem like they'll be a good fit with the inner moulded properly - hence the question in the first post about methods for this.

But, I am aware that not having had a custom fit, I might be settling for something which is better than a hire boot, but isn't as good as a custom fit.
How long would someone have to book in advance to get a fit at Bicester? (theoretically). I suspect I would be +1, as the Mrs is unlikely to let me have all the fun.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fr0sty, Just give him a call he can usually fit people in quickly. And at least when you have your appointment you know you will have his undivided attention. I suspect its not as busy as pre season for boot fitters! He will tell you exactly what brand and model your foot is wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RPF, A Salomon Foot? What's that?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fr0sty, without wanting to sit here and plug my business (leave that for other kind folks to do wink wink ) at this time of year i have slots most days mid week, saturdays do fill quickly though

as for how long it takes ..that really depends on what you are looking to have done, just a basic heat mould of the boot should take no more than 30mins start to finish, a pair of custom footbeds can take around 30 mins to produce and if the shell needed work on it then depending on the nature of what was needed it can take anythign form a further 10 mins to an hour, cost wise you pay for what you need, ie basic fitting charge, then footbed at what ever level required then work on the shell if required, don't need a custom footbed because only a trim to fit is what you require then the cost of the footbed comes down to that level etc etc

hope that helps, if you need more information please do not hesitate to contact me either by phone, e-mail or on here Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, A foot genetically engineered by Salomon so I'd have to buy their boots wink

I did find when buying boots that Salomon shells matched my feet best.

Edit: probably more correct to say CEM found Salomon shells matched my foot shape best. I hadn't a clue Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the help folks, and to CEM I'll be in touch. I'll probably call you and speak to you directly.
Cheers!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This will be against all suggestions on this, and other ski forums, so it's up to you if you will think about it at all or discard it right away.
I'm sure custom fitting sounds really cool, but is it really necessary? I have two pairs of boots, one (Fischer World Cup pro 130) are lightly fitted, but these boots are real racing boots with extremely hard shell and liners so thin, they are almost like socks. The other pair are my work boots (as photographer I'm normally on course with skis, but being on course for 3 hours or more in race boots would be insane, so I have much softer Fischer Worldcup Soma 130 for this) and they were never touched by fitter. They are fine for skiing too, even if they don't have any custom fit. Pretty much all my friends who don't ski with real racing boots never took their boots to fitters either, and I don't hear anyone complaining about. Someone might say they don't know difference, but considering I do know difference, I still don't see reason to take my other pair to fitter Wink
So personally, I don't consider custom fitting as necessary step, especially when it's about some recreational boots and at least kinda normal foot. But I do suggest going to store and trying few different pairs (unless anyone considers this as custom fitting). Not all boots are same afterall.
PS: Sorry CEM I'm not trying to get you out of business. Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A quick question on these boots, (without resurrecting an old thread too much).

Can anyone tell me why it's necessary to keep at least one of the two rear 'softening' bolts in ? - would you be able to get away with removing both if you were pootling about on a blue, easy red at slow speeds?

Cheers!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fr0sty, if the boot has the section i think it has on the back (a metal assembly) then you need to keep one bolt in to hold the part on to the boot, removing it will result in the metal section falling off which will leave a hole in the back of the boot, other than being unsightly the hole will not cause too many problems BUT this will transfer all the stresses of flexing directly onto the ankle hinge points and is not recomended...

if the boot needs to be softened further then it is possible by removing some plastic from various areas
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, thanks for the reply.
Yes, the boots have the metal 'plate' at the rear. They are great boots, and once you're used to them for a short while they feel full of control - but they are stiff as anything (and will only get stiffer on the mountain I believe!).

Ok, thanks for that - I really need to come and book an appointment with you soon, even if you actually recommended the m110s for me I would undoubtedly benefit from your analysis and the odd punch around some parts of the boot.

(I have that weird toe thing with my second toe being longer than my big toe! - it gets uncomfortable on boots, because the fit over the rest of the foot is great, but that one toe is squashed up. It's very annoying!)

Anyway, ramble over! - thanks for the information. Smile
latest report
fr0sty wrote:
They are great boots, and once you're used to them for a short while they feel full of control - but they are stiff as anything (and will only get stiffer on the mountain I believe!).

I've got the M110 which I think is the same boot. It does stiffen up a lot in the cold, much more than any other boot I've skied in. Don't take them off at lunchtime would be my advice, they can be difficult to get back on!

As for recommendations on where to go, I've used Profeet and Solutions4Feet on a few occasions. Although I'm quite close to Profeet I prefer to drive up to Bicester to see Colin.
ski holidays
primoz, you're obviously more lucky with your feet than I am with mine!
snow report
??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy