Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowboard size ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are going to Tremblant skiing in March and fancied having a go at snowboarding whilst there. we have got the chance to take a friends board to have a play with. Trouble is we are all different heights raging from 1.44 m to 1.69m .....would the board be of any use to us ( it belongs to an adult dont know size though ) Is the size of the board that inportant when just learning or playing around ? Hope someone can help and advise.

Cheers Blush
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
karencannon, welcome to snowHeads. I'm not much help with your question I'm afraid
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Karencannon.

Depending on whether your taking it seriously or not is the answer. If your just messing about then no it should be fine... but if your trying to get a taste for it and maybe learn a little bit then yes it would matter. Not only will height make a difference but alo weight.

try out this link http://www.snowboardlengthcalculator.com/

A board to long will be difficult to turn, and a board to short will be difficult to control. I would think it would be difficult to gauge whether or not you are enjoying it if the equipments not right. I would recommend that if your serious about finding out what it's like, then try renting a board each.

Either way hope you enjoy the experience... and welcome to SnowHeads !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a board that best fits all of you, assuming roughly average weights, a 148-150 cm long (or something in that range) board would probably be the best. This is already going to be alot for the 144 cm person to handle, and a fair bit short for the 169 person, but you could probably all have a go on it (an average weight 169 person wants about a 155-158, whereas an average weight 144 wants around a 138-142). Still, it is amangeable to board on something quite far off the wrong length - it's just harder. But boarding is pretty tough in the start anyways, so you might not even notice Smile If it's your first day, prepare to hate chairlifts with a passion.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ponder, Not as much as you'll learn to hate old jerky butto lifts!!! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Funny - this is my first go at boarding and I've had all sorts of different board lengths recommended to me so not too sure what is best, and would be great to know what you guys might think for me
I'm 5'6/170 cm and 70kg

Guy in Snowboard Asylum tried to sell me a 155
Snowboard instructor suggested 149 for the snow (was on a 140 on the dry slope)
Osh's calculator suggests 155 for freeride
'Mates' that board thought 155 would be too difficult for a beginner and 150 would be better, although ultimately I might end up on a 155

Would be good to get your thoughts as am thinking of buying a 2nd hand board on ebay but not sure of what length to go for... And in terms of boarding - is 5cm difference in length significant for ease of turning?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountain mad, i reckon that the calculator is correct. this means that you should be looking to ultimately be riding a 155 if you want a freeride board.

however, if you are thinking of getting a 2nd hand board to start on, you could certainly go a bit shorter (but I wouldn't go shorter than 149). this would mean that the board is easier to turn. the disadvantage is that it will be less stable at high speed - but if that becomes a worry then it will be time to replace the 2nd hand board with a nice new one.

and yes, the difference between a 150 and a 155 will be noticeable - not critical, but noticeable.

all of the above is a rough guide for "general" boards - some boards can be ridden at longer lengths than others. therefore, if buying new, check the maunfacturer's recommendations as well - but probably not worth worrying about for a 2nd hand board from eBay as you may not be able to get details for the precise year of the board that you end up bidding for.

without wanting to confuse you, be careful about buying a 2nd hand board. if it has been trashed to death you would do better hiring a decent board from a local shop in the UK for each trip to the mountains - and then buying a new one when you are ready. of course, if you plan to be a dry-slope regular, you will want an old board that you can chuck about on the dry slope.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks tony - I'm only dry-sloping so its not a complete mystery when I hit the slopes!
Am keeping my eye on ebay - but it seems crazy as I'd hoped to pick something up for around £60 - but it seems like 2nd hand boards with no guarantees of quality/condition of bases and edges are going for over £100. Although you do seem to get good deals on brand new boards - e.g. new burton feather retails at £239 but can get for maybe £170.
Will probably stick to hiring...

Can i take this thread a little of the topic of length... I wanted to buy because I really like the idea of flow bindings and rental stuff is usually the regular bindings. Do you think you can rent just a board if I had my own bindings (or can you rent with flow bindings?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountain mad, I would imagine it would be quite difficult to get flows in a rental shop. A mate of mine managed to rent a board with flows in Austria.

If you want to use your own bindings on a rental you could always rent board and bindings and change them yourself.

On the subject of board choice - I think there is much more to consider than just length.
Specifically the stiffness of the board will influence the ease of learning. I think it is difficult to learn on a stiff board.
I also think the sidecut radius has quite some influence on how easy a board is to turn.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BTW - i learnt on a 'soft, forgiving' 155 (I'm 5'8"), but now ride higher end (stiffer) 159 and 160 boards.
The difference is noticeable.

As Tony said - these boards are both more stable at higher speed.
They are also easier to turn when pointing down the hill rather than traversing across it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountain mad, I guess it depends on the shop. Before i bought my own stuff i used to hire from Boardwise in Chiswick (they have shops elsewhere). They do rent out boards with Flow bindings.

I doubt that there would be much of a price difference between renting just a board rather than board and bindings and so, whilst you could obviously have yoru own bindings and swap them over, you may be paying almost as much rental as you would for the complete set up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountain mad, I don't know if you have a decathlon anywhere near you, but they have some very good prices on boards (and skis!) that are "lower end spec". I got board, bindings & boots for £140. Okay, so they're not top of the range, but they'll do me 2 years - in which time they've paid for themselves against hire charges.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks - have googled boardwise and decathlon - but neither have a branch near Bristol...
Will keep my eyes peeled for any deals that are around...
On a 150-155cm board, thats not stiff (labelled as a beginner?) !!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountain mad wrote:
Thanks - have googled boardwise and decathlon - but neither have a branch near Bristol...
Will keep my eyes peeled for any deals that are around...
On a 150-155cm board, thats not stiff (labelled as a beginner?) !!!

I bought my first board from Blue Tomato. They often do good deals on last seasons kit. But then I found it difficult to get good hire gear because I have size 12 hooves.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any beginner board should have soft flex. K2 boards have a reputation for forgiving flex which makes them an ideal choice for beginners.
latest report
E-bay boards to keep an eye on:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=93829&item=7131600034&rd=1 (burton clash)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=93829&item=7131534270&rd=1 (k2 spitfire + preston bindings)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=93829&item=7132186823&rd=1 (nitro storm)
Hard to find anything in the UK, only 3 pages of snowboards on ebay uk in 151-160! I think if you can get the clash for under 100 pounds that would be a good board to go for. I'm not a big burton fan, but the clash is supposed to be a very decent all-around intermediate board.
Don't buy a true begginer board, these things are as stiff as paper - you'll grow out of them in 1/2 a season. It is only slightly more difficult to learn on a stiffer board, and much better value in the long run.
snow report
ponder - spooky as I already the burton clash in my favourites - although the new ones do tend to go very high in the last hour - lots of boarders know about ebay!!!!
ski holidays
Don't know about that blue tomato site, every board seems to cost more pounds than what the same boards sell for in Canadian dollars!!
You should see if "The House" delivers to the uk. If so, good deal:
http://www.the-house.com/9855m3t5zzm3.html
As you may have guesses, I would go with a 155 for your height/weight. It should be roughly as easy to turn, but a bit more stable and a bit faster, also easier to land jumps on.
ski holidays
Fab prices... would be a bit nervous about buying for a 'deal' and then getting stung with some import tax.
My sensible side says wait - and see when the sales start (we're going 12th March) but I am enjoying looking at the moment!!!!!
latest report
ponder wrote:
Don't know about that blue tomato site, every board seems to cost more pounds than what the same boards sell for in Canadian dollars!!

that's coz we get paid more pounds than your Canadian dollars wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
karencannon, I wouldn't bother taking one snowboard between you all. Far better to hire so that you can all learn together (I presume you are all going to have to hire boots anyway).
Whatever you do please take lessons - you will learn far quicker, if you don't take lessons you will just be wasting valuble skiing time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy