Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Train cancelled for Winter 09/10

Poster: A snowHead
Rail Europe have announced that they will not be running their ubiquitous Snow Train service this coming Winter. Famed as one of the more hedonistic paths to the French Alps, the route via Calais was once one of the cheapest ways to reach the mountains. With the advent of the channel tunnel though, the Calais 'Party Train' was shelved in favour of the slightly more comfortable route via the Eurostar to Paris.
However, with customers becoming ever more cost conscious and Sterling weak, it appears this more expensive option has now been considered non-viable ...

Rail Europe wrote:
We're very sad to announce that the Snow Train won't be running during the 2010 ski season. Despite
its popularity with keen skiers and snowboarders over the years, the current economic climate and
unfavourable exchange rates means the service is not financially viable for the coming season.

As far as we are concerned, this isn't the end of the Snow Train, we're hopeful that we will be able
to run the service again in the future, once economic conditions improve.

Of course, as many snowHeads know, this 'packaged' service is not the only way to reach the Alps by train. Many have found it far more cost effective to book Eurostar and SNCF tickets separatel, the only added hassle being the need to take the Metro between Gare Du Nord where the Eurostar arrives and Gare d'Austerlitz from which the night trains depart.

The direct daytime and overnight Eurostars will still be running at the weekends.

Originally PowderMonkey wrote:
For anyone hoping to use the Snow Train this winter, I just spotted this on the Rail Europe website: http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=481
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hope that doesn't make other services more crowded. With luck the hordes will turn to flying.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It will mean that Eurostar will put up their prices... supply & demand.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
But isn't that service essentially superceded by the Eurostar Direct Ski Train? Departing Friday eve or Sat am to 3V, return departures Sat am or Sat eve. Sounds a bit similar. Maybe something different about recliner seats only instead of sleeper compartment? (I've never done it myself so don't know what the details were)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep you can still take the Eurostar overnight service but there are no couchettes - seats only.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

no couchettes - seats only

which doesn't make it a very attractive option - if you are prepared to sit up all night you could go by coach at half the price (or less).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It' s much quicker though. About 61/2 hours to Moutiers, I think.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blinder, As long as the Eurostar prices are the same to Paris, And the SNCF prices for onward trains are not affected, I am content.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blinder, hopefully, Eurostars to Paris, and SNCF thereafter will see not too much extra traffic.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, can't see the point of a fast O/N srervice, you'll only spend the time awake in sidings anyway...

And if the buffet bar is open, then you will have people walking thro all the time...far better to have a couchette cabin so you can get some peace.

The whole point of Eu0star/TGV is the speed as comfort, even in 1st class isn't enough to be able to get straight off and ski, IMV...
As said, you may as well do the coach for less bucks...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PlanetSKI covering this is quite deep and very good depth:

http://www.planetski.eu/news/586
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've taken the Snow Train booked through Rail Europe but I've also more recently booked my train tickets independently. I usually book my Eurostar tickets through Eurostar direct, and then my train tickets from SCNF http://www.voyages-sncf.com/, helps if you speak a bit of French! It seems to work out cheaper. However you can book with Rail Europe too. Essentially it's the same deal, change at Paris, hike to Gare du Lyon or Austerlitz and get the overnight or day train.

I'd recommend the day trains they whizz down there in about 4.5 hours and you're there before you know it! Also a lot of people don't realise that you can get the train to loads of ski resorts. Go to Oulx for Montgenevre, Sestriere and Sauze D'Oulx, Briancon for Serre Chevalier and Grenoble for Alpe D'huez amongst others.

Bit more info on alternatives on our blog http://ski-concierge.com/blog/snow-train-cancelled-this-season/

Liz
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm guessing that the Snow Train was pretty dependent on the blocks of space booked by the big tour operators and they are slashing their commitment, whether that be flight seats, train seats or chalet beds. When they have a bit more confidence in the market we should see the service come back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a great shame. Easily the most convenient way of getting to the French Alps for 8 days skiing after a reasonable nights sleep.

Quoting from the letter that Rail Europe sent me:
Quote:
Despite its popularity with keen skiers and snowboarders over the years, the current economic climate and poor exchange rates means the service is not financially viable for the coming season

Whenever I've travelled on it, it has always seemed to be full, unlike the scheduled SNCF services. Why can't they make money on it?

I can understand the problem though if UK tour operators are pulling out. Neilson stopped offering the train a few years ago, around about the same time that they started blathering on about how environmentally responsible they were.

It wouldn't be so bad if the TO's offered a decent discount for taking accommodation only and organising your own travel.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Easily the most convenient way of getting to the French Alps for 8 days skiing after a reasonable nights sleep.

..........Er, not what I experienced. Could hardly sleep as it felt/sounded like the night was spent loudly clanking and clunking through railway sidings. The couple (who had just met in the infamous disco carriage) sh@gging in the couchette above didn't exactly help matters either rolling eyes
ski holidays
Pete Horn, Why book the accomodation through a TO? You can book accomodation directly as well as travel. Many resorts have a service from their site (See L2A). And else the tourist office in town often runs a service like that.
latest report
mountainaddict, you could have asked to join in... Time would have flown by then... Shocked
ski holidays
Pete Horn, well, there is the option of travelling to Paris by Eurostar, then taking SNCF night sleeper to the mountains. I know there is the hassle of travelling across Paris - but with a group of good mates (take a bow the train EOSB mob Very Happy) that can actually be fun, and the quality of the trip after that is far better than what I recall of the snow train.
ski holidays
Thanks achilles, I do know that route and have done it a couple of times. The thing is, when organising for a group I have trouble 'selling' the hike across Paris, and last year when I looked the cheap PREMS tickets had already gone. BTW, I know the 'hike' across Paris is easier than Waterloo to St. Pancras in London, which those of us down south now have to do to get to the Eurostar, it's just persuading the others.

Ronald, Again, when booking for a group, many people prefer a single package. Last year though, I did book directly with the accommodation providers (Ski France) and book the train & taxi transfers separately. It is more effort though and nerve racking at times when doubt that the taxi is going to turn up. We prefer UK run chalets to hotel accommodation, hence normally booking through a TO.

mountainaddict, I grant you the Snowtrain is not everyone's cup of tea, especially in those circumstances rolling eyes
latest report
Is the Snow Train the same service the EoSB'ers use?
snow conditions
Such a shame about the Snow Train. Used it as with a group of friends last winter and ok didn't get much sleep but really enjoyed the experience!

Anyone have any tips on taxis for groups to travel across Paris to change stations if using the Gare d'Austerliz overnight train? What is a guideline price? Can you only book the French overnight train on the SNCF site?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 3-07-09 20:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just had a Eurostar email to say their ski train tickets are on sale 9am July 7th
latest report
BMF_Skier, No. The snow train (or the one I knew) went from Calais to the Alps direct. We ESOB train freaks went by Eurostar to Paris (Nord), by shared taxis to Austerlitz station, then by night sleeper to Moutiers. As an oldster, I was almost surprised it was so much fun - but I guess a lot of that was down to the company.
ski holidays
topcat, no idea on taxi price, but there's a direct connection via Paris Metro for about 80p. Your call Smile

You can book the french overnight train through the SNCF website, it used to be way cheaper than the SnowTrain but think it's gone up a fair bit in recent years. Worth knowing that couchettes are 6-berth...so always try and book a whole one if you can.
ski holidays
and you essentially have to share your berth with your luggage - so don't take too much!
latest report
We managed to get 2 cabins of 6 couchettes between 10 of us last time on the Snow Train so we managed to store more luggage in the one with less people in. Also there was a cupboard type thing at the end that we managed to fit our skis in. For getting off an on we just formed a chain passing things along, which worked very well. Not sure if the French train would be the same but we may give it a try.

80p for the metro - not bad if we can get all our luggage on Confused
snow conditions
ChrisWo, topcat, I seem to recall about €20 for the taxi each way - including tip. The thought of manipulating our bags and ski bags through the Metro did not appeal.
snow report
achilles, you also want to be careful that urine doesn't drip on you from the ceiling at the Metro station... as at least one person found out in 2008... Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skisimon, so maybe that's why the tube is so expensive in comparison to the metro...much better plumbing?!
ski holidays
This is a real shame.

We took the Snow Train this year and having a full 8 days skiing was great, however I have to admit it was a bit quiet. There were lots of empty cabins on the train we were on.
ski holidays
Am I being an eejit? I don't seem to be able to book Eurostar tickets for later than December 2009 on their site?
snow conditions
rainman, sounds about right - or even generous - the usual rule of thumb is about 3 months in advance availability for the trains, I think. All part of the train companies clever wheeze to give an advantage to the airlines wink

Mind you, it seems to be very unusual for a Continental train service to be cancelled once the train companies have accepted bookings.
snow report
Looks like this isn't the only snow train casualty of the recession.

"Struggling Alaska Railroad cancels popular Ski Train.
A rollicking Alaska tradition that began in the 1940s is over."

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/skiing/story/946952.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy