Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain meals get cheaper in France

Poster: A snowHead
Mountain lunches and evening meals in resort are set to fall in price as sales tax is cut in France from 19.6% to 5.5%. The French government has instructed restaurant owners to pass on the reduction to diners. It’s been estimated that a standard ‘plat du jour’ should drop from 15 euros to 13.20 euros, a saving of around £1.40.
...Unfortunately, the cut doesn't apply to alcohol.

Source: http://www.planetski.eu/news/576
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

a standard ‘plat du jour’ should drop from 15 euros to 13.20 euros

Whilst the rest of the menu will increase by 14% to make up for the reduction of cash in the till.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, off there in the morning, so we will see what happens.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eurozone inflation will soon wipe out any tax-cuts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
but for most of us, the exchange rate is more important, so eurozone inflation could work to our advantage?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Paid for lunch in the Bourg en Bresse services today. TVA 5.5% on food, and was definitely a lower price than when we last stopped at the end of December . However, although the TVA shown on our dinner and breakfast bill for the hotel last night was 5.5% ,the menu price was the same.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reduced TVA, but prices the same? rolling eyes That's a real big surprise.......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Paid for lunch in the Bourg en Bresse services today. TVA 5.5% on food, and was definitely a lower price than when we last stopped at the end of December . However, although the TVA shown on our dinner and breakfast bill for the hotel last night was 5.5% ,the menu price was the same.

Smacks of small retailers and the VAT here. B2B businesses and major retailers played the game or didn't have anything to gain and it all goes into the pocket of the smaller retailers!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All prices have been dropped in all the local restaurants that I know ... with some still using old menus and the reduction made on the bill.

As usual Whitegold your observations are inaccurate and misleading ... There isn't going to be a 12% inflationary increase in the Eurozone 'soon'.

Doesnt mean mountain restaurants will play the game of course as the baseline for most will be when they reopen. BTW doesnt apply to drinks ime ...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, no still 19,5% on the drinks. stevew, this was only one restaurant, it doesn't mean that it will happen in all of them. I will report on the rest of our experiences soon. Some of our mountain restaurants are open now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMF_Skier wrote:
Reduced TVA, but prices the same? rolling eyes That's a real big surprise.......

Don't worry I reckon the €10 jacket potato will still be available for €10 in LA1800 in January Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, €12. It will come with mayonnaise. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
Boredsurfing, €12. It will come with mayonnaise. Toofy Grin

A plate and steel cutlery would be nice Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, Ah. You didn't say. I bet you'll find that the posh restaurant is at the other end of the terrace. No baked potatoes, no worries - you can have a lovely salade Savoyarde. €22 - but you do get that cutlery. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're paying 10€ for a jacket potato, you should be going somewhere less expensive.
latest report
went out for a birthday meal in Cham last night, the Plat de jour had been cut from 19 to 15 euro, all other prices remained unchanged.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, I didn't say I paid, we just moved swiftly on.... Toofy Grin

achilles
, you have been there as well Laughing

jbob, I think I read the French government suggested the plat du jour must be reduced, by default allowing the rest of the menu to remain un changed.
latest report
I read http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8128465.stm that there is no obligation for retaurants to pass on the cuts to their customers. But I guess anywhere where there is a lot of competition, like here in Cham, restaurateurs will do so.
snow report
In the Igloo at Les Deux Alpes prices of some Plats were marked down by hand on the menu, but not salads, sandwiches etc - is it only on hot food? On the mountain the prices were as the menu and the receipt showed 5.5%
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, holidayloverxx, I think it is on all food looking at our bills so far. Something from the supermarket (most was 0% ) was charged at 5.5%
snow report
Quote:

......restaurants would be monitored to ensure that those which advertise reductions do pass them on.
Establishments will not be obliged to pass on the cuts to customers but 80% of businesses would do so,
From the BBC link above.

So no need to pass on the cut at all. I think the UK experiment with VAT cutting has proved the unreliability of such tax cutting, particularly when the UK rate goes back up to 17.5% on the strike of midnight on New Years Eve. So get your drinks in early and pay in advance for the meal Toofy Grin
snow report
jbob, so do you live out there?
ski holidays
Walking past one of our local restaurants this evening, we looked at the menu, they are passing on the full reduction in TVA to their customers.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, not sure how it will go this time but.......

when the VAT rate changed last year we adjusted some prices down and left others where they were, mostly as costs had increased, when the rate goes back up at the end of the year we will more than likely have to do a similar thing, somethings will HAVE to go up due to rising costs and reduced or low margins others where we can stand the loss will stay the same..... not quite sure how it will happen exactly yet, but i know that the smaller retailer will get HIT by the big boys who buy in bulk, get better discounts and terms and will no doubt hold all their prices and advertise the hell out the fact that that is what they are doing

bottom line is that i costs money to make the changes whatever way it goes...either up or down or remaining the same, the VAT rate has to be changed on the web site, the till and prices on the products have to be changed if required...either way last time it took at least a day of number crunching just to remain legal, then there was the screw up which is accounting proceedure, as it falls in the middle of our VAT quarter...so some will be at the old rate some at the new rate..... do the VAT office do anything to help the small business...No they called us up and wasted another 30 minutes of my time with a survey asking lots of questions about how long the changes took and what the cost implications were to our business...most of the questions were irrelevent to a small business, but they had to ask them any way rolling eyes rolling eyes

tell you at the end of the season how it goes
snow report
I bet Courchevel 1850 is exempt.
snow conditions
micky, Sad Once I start looking for my next trip I'm not doing Courch 1850. might see about 1650 (gentle withdrawal Laughing ). Prices at 1850 are a joke. Also am considering Austria, will have to bump my Austria thread back up soon.
ski holidays
There was a truly spectacular music-accompanied firework display in C1850 in the last week of Feb this year and it was free. It must have gone on for about 25 minutes, best I have ever seen anywhere, including Millenium stuff on TV. Mind you, the loud music probably helped stimulate my senses.

I like to ski 1850 but stay in 1650. Whereas my son, who doesn't pay the bill, prefers 1850.

I am now dreaming about coming down the gentle runs just above 1850, Biolay and Verdons I think, if only I were there just for a few hours.......

Never mind, we are in LDA from Saturday 18th for a week.....whoopee
snow conditions
micky, We actually like to ski over to 1650, so nice and quiet and tree runs. We've stayed in the Grande Alpes in 1850 the last 3 years but we're a bit more hard up this year and it was just silly money last year. Though very nice. Laughing Where do you stay in 1650? Let us know about the prices in LDA!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, LDA in town 5 - 6.50 euro a pint, 8 - 10 euro for a pizza, 12 euro bottle house wine.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, similar to Serre Chevalier.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, LDA in town 5 - 6.50 euro a pint, 8 - 10 euro for a pizza, 12 euro bottle house wine.

so still expensive then....italy & austria again next season me thinks wink
snow conditions
Wherever we go in Winter we book half-board so we don't have to use restaurants. We don't drink much cos we are usually too tired and lunch is usually a baguette or a burger. The cafe type place in the 1850 mall was ok at 5€ for a baguette but I was miffed at the prices of the bar downstairs at about 10€ for a drink plus they insist you use their cloakroom for your outer layer, another 2€ - we didn't stay long. Mind you, if they toned the prices down in town the place would probably be heaving so we can't win....
latest report
I am off to Tignes next month so will see if there is any change, there wasn't earlier this month :
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
is it only on hot food? On the mountain the prices were as the menu and the receipt showed 5.5%

I don't know but according to la Montagne on Saturday (a regional newspaper based in the Massif Central) only around 1/3 had passed on the full VAT cut which is on food (hot or cold, dunno?). Some are only putting it onto coffee! The idea is that some restaurants may keep prices the same but improve their service or premises.

So far I've seen a noticable difference, more than the 1/3 of establishments quoted by la Montagne but that is more in the Rhone-Alpes area and may just be where I eat. The reduction appears on the receipt rather than a change in menu prices. Knowing how coffee went up when the Euro was introduced don't expect it to last forever. I don't believe the TOs who claim French ski holidays will be 10% cheaper in 2010.
snow report
davidof, a few restaurants in Monetier have refurbished recently. Several have passed on TVA reductions on Plat du Jour, several starters, and some of their pizzas, and show the reductions on their menus. Reduction was on both hot and cold food. Perhaps where one leads, the competitors will follow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy