Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what is the economy like in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
just a little overdue defensive skirmish there pam w, I'm done wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a tad harsh barry, and i have to say unfair too.....infact not even funny!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have you been at the sauce?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
barry wrote:
stanton wrote:
The recession is not over & even if it is, the recovery will take years 5-10yrs without a war in between.

a dog would know more about its father you amadan, nobody cares what you think, you kiddie-fiddlin, donkey-worryin bigot Laughing

You got issues. Hopefully your get a better life & get over them ............
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
in response to his lovely post in this thread, been niggling at me for a while and I shoudnt have let it go. Idiots like this are a waste of good fresh air

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51804&highlight=

would love to meet you one day in person to teach you some manners, but failing that, I've had my satisfaction so am going to waste no more time on your worthless ass
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
and here's the link... http://mag.digitalpc.co.uk/olive/ode/crystalski/

I hope Crystal paid Marty Odom for THAT photo wink (he did get fired because of it...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry wrote:

would love to meet you one day in person to teach you some manners, but failing that, I've had my satisfaction so am going to waste no more time on your worthless ass

Big issues Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:

Big issues Sad

Your catchphrase while you sit outside railway stations around Europe? wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, I would complain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

teach you some manners

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
stanton wrote:

Big issues Sad

Your catchphrase while you sit outside railway stations around Europe? wink

Nice one, I know ski bums who do that in the summer Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Guys,

Some interesting stuff on this thread. Just wanted to tell you about my experience last winter. I was in Austria to run a schools travel operation in the Ski Amade area of Salzburgland. I must admit I'd never been there before as, like most Brits, if I go to Austria I tend to head west. What a price difference! Just as examples, a large beer cost 3 Euros or less and a really good 3 course menu on the hill was 7.5 Euros. I was amazed.

If anyone is on a budget I would thoroughly recommend checking out St Johann im Pongau. Good prices, very short transfer time (45 mins from Salzburg), huge ski area (which is really quiet out of the high season) and good apres ski. The only downside is the ski schools. Whilst they do employ some qualified instructors they also seem to think its completely ok to employ non-qualified, and sometimes very inexperienced, instructors.

Enjoy!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basoid, good post and I expect the alpes to realise that they need to get people to come to their places othewise they have no money in the system at all.

The Brits have traditionally been a good customer..in that they arrive and stay mostly when they say they will... The TO deal acommplishes that..

The Swiss learnt this lesson long ago...and the hotels had to be pro-active with their pricing so DIY there is a good option...

Nowadays...Switzerland can be as cheap as anywhere in the alpes... and the CHf hasn't quite bombed the £ to the level of the euro ..

Of course, there are a few exceptions like Verbier, Zermatt etc which can still name their price, but you could say that about one or two places in France or Austria..

I know where I'll be heading again this season...

Why am I writing this......?? Puzzled Puzzled rolling eyes Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The higher elevation western Austria mega resorts

Lech,Zurs
St Anton
Ischgl
Solden
Obergurgl

with Advanced slopes have always been more expensive tha the Eastern Tirol,Salzburgerland,Cartinthia.

Luckily the last two seasons the eastern lower resorts of Austria have had good snow however, they have had some green seasons in the last decade.

Switzerland (often over looked) can be cheap for skiing. Places like Davos, Klosters & St Moritz are surprisingly cheap.
ski holidays
Seems Im not the only one who thinks the worst is to come..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6644667.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/william_rees_mogg/article6643982.ece
snow report
Gordon Brown doesnt know what day it is any more .. oil up 75 per cent this year? what about from this time last year? what about from 2 weeks ago?
snow report
...and your other main party wants to give the cowboys all your medical records. Just think what the Dept of Homeland Security could do with all that data....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6644919.ece

Dont think it cant happen. Employers are already having there CV/Resume paper sieve speeded up with all the information on social networking sites like Facebook, LOL !!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 7-07-09 7:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

The higher elevation western Austria mega resorts

Lech,Zurs
St Anton
Ischgl
Solden
Obergurgl

with Advanced slopes have always been more expensive tha the Eastern Tirol,Salzburgerland,Cartinthia.

Luckily the last two seasons the eastern lower resorts of Austria have had good snow however, they have had some green seasons in the last decade.

Switzerland (often over looked) can be cheap for skiing. Places like Davos, Klosters & St Moritz are surprisingly cheap.

I can not quite share your opinion about St Moritz or Davos. It is definitely not cheap to pay almost 10 euros for a small bottle of water and a small sandwich as I did in St Moritz. But I can definitely say that the eastern alpine regions are a lot cheaper. Carinthia or the Salzburg region offer really big ski resorts and are definitely worth a visit.
latest report
Wolfgang, I was at St Moritz this spring. Most of my lunches are around 10 swiss franc, which is more like 7-8 eruos, I think?
snow report
Stand-By

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8157876.stm
snow conditions
Nobody's economy is pretty right now - apparently even the Norwegians are down to only one new Saab per year per family. My heart bleeds! Wink

I'd take last years figures with a pinch of salt as far as money spent in the resort goes - many people will have paid and thought "what the hell?" before the back bottom fell out of the UK/EU economy. This coming season will paint a truer picture imo.

I've mentioned this on another thread - but I was looking at some TO prices the other weekend and for 2 adults you can get 2 weeks in Jackson Hole for knocking on the same price as 2 weeks in France. Why on earth would anyone go to France at those prices? Canada was coming in at considerably more expensive than the US, and whilst I prefer skiing Canada to the US, it is a consideration.
ski holidays
The chance of a double dip (in the economy) IMO, was always more likely than less. Most people have been shielded from the worst of the dowturn up until recently (if not by the financial stimulus itself but by the confidence it gave some), but we're on the cusp of another slide.

House prices are yo-yoing as people struggle to get the measure of the market/economy, and unemployment figures will get even more dismal. None of the other indicators are genuinely positive. If we can get through to Xmas, the whole thing will unravel again Mar/Apr '10. And it will be a biggy. I really hope I'm wrong on this, but haven't been too wide of the mark so far. JMO.

As regards sliding, I reckon as the season in Europe progresses you will see some pretty good offers appear. Packages, accomodation, lift tickets, even meal/drink costs, as the actuality dawns (even more that it seems to now) on the providers. I reckon I might even be making a couple of trips to Europe this coming season, rare for me.

The EU as a broader entity is about to enter a $hitstorm.

As regards NA, myself and the bride are going out mid March '10 for the lowest cost we've ever managed. Two people, two weeks, flights/transfers, RO, one thirteen day pass/carriage etc for £1435 all in. It's only Jasper, but ideally suited to the trip as it has to be, ticking most of the boxes. I even bought my Ca beer tokens at the recent high, so the total cost is a known quantity, barring the unforseen. It's swings and roundabouts, and checking the bargains/offers, so no change there.

Anyway, whatever comes of all this, make the most of what you can.

John.
snow conditions
Public finances deficit for July 08 showed a surplus of £5billion. Figures for July 09 just announced - A DEFICIT of £8 Billion Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:
.. was looking at some TO prices the other weekend and for 2 adults you can get 2 weeks in Jackson Hole for knocking on the same price as 2 weeks in France. Why on earth would anyone go to France at those prices? Canada was coming in at considerably more expensive than the US, and whilst I prefer skiing Canada to the US, it is a consideration.

Been thrashed out year after year - but briefly:

Long travel time, including long flight. Immigration hassle. Jet lag (especially after return journey. All things being equal, I wouldn't dream to going to NA just because it was the same price - and frankly, from what I have read (+ one visit to Fernie) only somewhere like Jackson Hole could remotely tempt me at all, even if the US/Canada became an awful lot cheaper than Europe.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 20-08-09 13:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, tis alright they are going to print some more money, great news for you, the rate they are going we will all need a furniture van to carry the money to buy anything Confused
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Public finances deficit for July 08 showed a surplus of £5billion. Figures for July 09 just announced - A DEFICIT of £8 Billion Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

No difference to an individual's net "worth", which includes a couple million in their home that is now worth half of what it was a year ago!

It's all paper money, or a number's game. On a good note, if everything is now worth half of what it's worth, you only need half of the money to live equally well. Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

excuse huge amount of ignorance about Public Finances deficit... but what does that mean to me? At the moment , it doesn't pass the " so what?" test because I have no idea if its good, bad of the same as everyone else.

An economics 101 woudl be quite useful on this front...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimW, it all needs to be paid back (with interest) at some point in the future and taxes are, ultimately, the only place the dosh can come from. So tax burden goes up (probably combined with increasingly ropey services as misguided short termist cuts are made), the UK becomes a global economic joke, our currency is worthless etc etc ... But I agree it is very difficult to get over excited about something so fundamentally dull.
snow conditions
But is that a deficit in a Public Finance Deficit, ie a surplus? Smile
latest report
Everyone in the UK will have much higher bills in the next few years. Just to start with (in case you forgotten) the 15% rate will remain until 31st December 2009, and from 1 January 2010 it will revert to 17.5%

The next UK Government (presumably Conservative) will have to raise taxes immediately they take office to begin to clear some of its National Debt.

This will be done by increasing VAT again (as its the easiest way to collect) to at least 19% but I expect to be more like 21%
snow conditions
stanton, the fact that someone wishes to throw comedy abuse at you does not automatically mean that they 'have issues' (whatever that means). More likely they just think you are an irritating little t!t. Laughing
ski holidays
JimW, Public finance is an overhead and the surplus would only be against projected spending.
It will all come from taxes...

Think of it like your kids have not spent their pocket money for the week...that is a surplus.. but it still comes out the family purse

I believe we are in the 'bad' section... as Brown will not contemplate tidying up his own mess..and will be pulled from No 10 screaming.
He will, of course, leave a nice little present on the carpet to doom the incoming regime.. typically ..only the nation will have to pay for it for years to come...

This is why he should be booted out now..

Cameron and Osbourne aren't up to it either...( can't be anywhere near as bad as Brown and Darling tho;..)... but we need someone to take a look at the books and start sorting it out NOW..
snow report
JT wrote:
.....Cameron and Osbourne aren't up to it either......

I fear you may be right. We can only hope that they bring in someone who does know what he/she is talking about.

Of the front bench, only Cable seems remotely up to speed - but were he in a government party, I would not be sure that even he would be up to it.

Bring in CAN CAVINGTON! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Hell, while there is still snow and you are able to ski ..................GO SKI Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
JimW wrote:
But is that a deficit in a Public Finance Deficit, ie a surplus? Smile
Embarassed Embarassed but you knew what I meant.....I think...anyhow, let's get some more double neagtives down..

The government is basically a business and it has to eventually balance its books. Historically July has been a good month for Government income, but the deficit of last moth shows just how tough thing are out there for businesses and individuals.
latest report
I wonder whether some of this has been done on purpose. Government becoming increasingly unpopular so gets ousted at next election. Incoming government has to impose huge taxation and becomes very unpopular very quickly so doesn't stay in power very long.
latest report
queen bodecia, it's just history repeating itself - the proles will blame Cameron and spend the rest of their lives believing Labour is the way forward. Rinse, lather, repeat.

The cupboard is bare - it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

It's funny (IMO) how many of us are polar in the case of US vs. UK parties. I'm Tory/Democrat - my oh Labour/Republican. Puzzled
snow report
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/7982303/Warning-of-sharp-interest-rate-rise-in-2012.html
latest report
stanton, that's good news for me - savings rates have been down so low lately. Odd you should drag up a year-old thread, though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy