Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mt Hutt - New Zealand!

Poster: A snowHead
Mt Hutt – New Zealand – June 2009

Right, as a few of you already know I am currently doing a season in NZ touring in a campervan and will be skiing in five of the biggest commercial fields in NZ to include Mt Hutt, Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Whakapapa and Turoa. NZ ski fields are very different to European ski as they are generally much smaller and can only be accessed by a shuttle bus or drive up from a surrounding town, normally 10-20km away and these same towns host the après-ski too. I am hoping to write a little report on each ski field and the surrounding towns and hopefully compliment it with a few pictures to give everyone who hasn’t skied the southern hemisphere an idea on what it’s like.

So my first stop was Mt Hutt, which was a short drive from the tiny town of Methven. The town was very small and reminded me slightly of Hintertux in Austria with just a handful of pubs and restaurants and a few ski rental shops and one of those ‘local’ pubs where it all goes quiet and everyone stares as you walk in rolling eyes .

Many people have pre-warned me about the drive up the access roads and I must say that Mt Hutt’s is probably the most terrifying experience of my life. The first drive up we became stuck on a patch of ice in our campervan about half a mile up. Luckily, a member of the mountain staff was around to kindly advise us, as polite as possible without mocking or bursting into fits of laughter, that we had our snow chains on the wrong wheels. This was quickly sorted but didn’t stop us sliding around all over the ice with sheer drop cliff edges and no barriers either side. We also witnessed a car sliding off the edge and miraculously the car got wedged about 100ft down the mountain and both people surived.

Here is what it looks like;

So, the ski field itself is pretty small and unlike large European resorts the runs aren’t clearly defined. The trail maps show various runs but in truth it’s just one run from each of the 3 lifts – down. All runs are next to each other, nothing separating them and entwine so often it’s unlikely you will ever finish the run on the one you start.

The top and highest run;

After getting used to the differences we really started to enjoy the freedom Mt Hutt provided and it felt much less rigid than most places we have skied in that we could ski anywhere at any time and no two runs felt the same. Also, as the field is within a bowl area all off-piste areas in-between runs are safe in terms of drop offs or water so we were skiing off-piste (for the first time ever) within 2 days and spent the rest of our time just making runs up as we went.

The lift at base;

The weather provided an early dump of snow a few days before we got there and combined with their snow making efforts made most on piste areas fairly soft and powdery. Out of the 3 chair lifts only 2 were operating so there’s about 30% of the mountain we have not yet skied. Visibility was excellent and the views, without a doubt, the best I have ever skied. To top it all off, lunchtime we just popped out to the camper, pulled out the barbeque and just grilled fantastic NZ meats surrounded by the fantastic scenery.

The views;

So, in short, Hutt was hard work to get to and hard work getting used to the differences, however, once we got a feel for the mountain it was great fun. We’re actually on our way to Coronet Peak now as I write this but we will definitely be going back to Mt Hutt once the season gets in full swing to ski the 30% we missed out on! So expect some more photos and an idea on the rest very soon!

NB
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very nice pictures, Looks like lots of fun, enjoy! Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NomadicBoo, nice one keep up the reports Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Say Hallo to Sal at Sals Place .
I bet the sheep shearers are more accommodating now at the Blue Pub ( http://www.thebluepub.co.nz/ ) than 20 yrs ago. Any foreigner would not of survived !!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NomadicBoo, great report and pictures. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, the Blue Pub is now a fully fledged 'apres ski' pub and the one where all the tourists go. The new sheep shearer pub of choice is the brown pub opposite. Cheap beer, cheap pool table but some very odd folk indeed Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also, just thought I would share with you guys the link for my first ever attempt at a jump - also at Mt Hutt. I am so cool Cool .

http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt78/NomadicBoo/?action=view&current=Travelling009.flv

And yes, it hurt very much.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You are so cool. Good to see you enjoying yourself here in NZ and getting the feel of skiing at this end of the world.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that great report. I have been to NZ two years ago. I think you are absolutely right. Even if NZ resorts cannot be compared with the huge european ski areas I really enjoyed skiing NZ. Don`t miss Treble Cone. My absolute favorite because of the amazing off-piste. Have fun.
Greetings from the European summer
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey Nomadic Boo

Great to see you visiting NZ to ski - I'm a ski fanatic here in NZ. Please make sure you visit the Club fields in Canterbury - Broken River, Craigieburn, Cheeseman, Olympus, Temple Basin. THIS is what New ZEaland skiing is ALL about - these clubs fields are maintained by ski clubs - all the maintenance is done by members. They employ staff to run the fields in the winter. These provide the ultimate Kiwiana skiing experience - they are small, laidback and friendly. You can stay on the mountain at these places. I've skied at various places around the world and haven't experienced anything quite like these places elsewhere. Each club field is slightly different and caters for a slightly different type of clientele. The skiing is AWESOME - lots of offpiste and semi backcountry of you want it AND no crowds.

For a personal account of one - Broken River - check out www.squidoo.com/brokenriver Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
Say Hallo to Sal at Sals Place .
I bet the sheep shearers are more accommodating now at the Blue Pub ( http://www.thebluepub.co.nz/ ) than 20 yrs ago. Any foreigner would not of survived !!!

i survived in 1989. Even met my wife there wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
managed a day on Whakapapa in 1989. I remember skiing on rocks only for locals to tell me it was great snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whakapapa and turoa are phenomenal in good weather. volcanic terrain makes fun skiiing - nothing steep but lots of natural diversity
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gortonator, If you want steep at Whakapapa get yourself to the Pinnacles.

This is the only photo I could find and is not mine http://www.powderhound.co.nz/PinnaclesatWhakapapa.htm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like you're having a great time. The Hutt access road is nothing compared to some of the smaller ski fields, especially if it's snowing!

If you're driving to Queenstown, take the time to stop at a few of the other spots on the way. Dobson has epic conditions at the moment, and Ohau is great fun too. Both are on the main road through Mackenzie, so you'll go right past them. It's a totally different vibe to the bigger commercial areas.

Half a metre of snow forecast over the net few days! So wherever you go should be awesome.
ski holidays
Looks like a cracking wee place... a NZ version of glenshee!

NZ could be huge for skiing if they'd develop the sport more... even the roads must put some people off!
snow conditions
One of the great things about NZ skiing - especially the Club fields is that it ISN't very developed - there aren't too many people, and the people that are there are really keen on the sport and being in great places, not because it is the trendy thing to do. What matters is that you're having a great time and sharing it with like minded people - not what you wear.
snow conditions
20 to 25 cm fresh snow overnight at Broken River WAHOO! - will be a great start for opening day tomorrow (July 4th) - not to mention the new passenger carrier - our Goods Lift has been upgraded to carry passengers... a 4 Min ride up through the native beech forest from the car park to the accommodation huts and ticket office. Very Happy
snow conditions
TeleClaire, enjoy - i kinda liked the hike up there ... Smile
latest report
Gortonator - I actually do too... and there is no reason why you can still walk if you want. I intend to as I like the warm up, not to mention time walking thru the bush. Had an AWESOME day on opening day - Sat. - 25 cm of brilliant, light powder snow... and we had another 20 yesterday! Laughing
ski holidays
TeleClaire, Sounds like you have received all the fresh snow that missed us down here in the southern lakes area. Glad to hear that you are enjoying a great start to your season. The clubs are such a great place to ski. I wish we had some down this way.
latest report
Sarge, yes we are lucky to have so many club fields around. I skied down south for a bit and really missed them. Having a great week at Broken River this week - packed powder and still fresh untracked powder to be found if you go for a hike Laughing Great early winter skiing....just wish I could be there everyday to really make the most of it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy