Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Transceivers

Poster: A snowHead
barry wrote:
on the subject of aviodance (which can be dismissed by "experts" on here sometimes)

i think it's a given that you try to avoid getting avalanched in the first place rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, my thoughts (and practice) exactly, but reading some posts on here, not everyone agrees (with sentiments such as folk can go into riskier terrain / conditions if they're bleeping) rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah blatantly you can. The transmitted waves from the transciever push the snow away from you so the avalanche goes round you. Thats how they work right?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
barry wrote:
on the subject of aviodance (which can be dismissed by "experts" on here sometimes)

Hey, cut him some slack, jack. Jive ass dudes don't got no sense no how. Dig the rap? When you be laying with the big mo-fo jacks cut ya to the bone. Know what am sayin'? You be sayin', 'I don't got no beeps no how'. Jah gonna take you quick, no sheeet!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
el nombre wrote:
yeah blatantly you can. The transmitted waves from the transciever push the snow away from you so the avalanche goes round you. Thats how they work right?

Thats the the old analogue ones. The more modern digital ones prevent avalanches occurring in the first place. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
barry wrote:
on the subject of aviodance (which can be dismissed by "experts" on here sometimes), and forecasting, take a look at the following from the real experts - think I posted this on here before. Great quiz and very very informative (i got flattend well before the end rolling eyes)

http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/avalanche.asp

Good grief. 32.4MB for a quiz? I don' think so.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, 300 ducats for a bleep though eh??!!

(it is worth the effort/bandwidth)

PJSki, only the righteous, mo dhearthair

not sure what my point is no more Puzzled Puzzled Laughing Laughing

and so, peace out dudes, if yer gonna get buried, be sure an have the right and latest gear on for when they haul yer carcass outta there! Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry, Laughing

If I wasnt burried with a load of expensive kit I dont think anyone would bother digging me out Shocked.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't care what I carry - so long as the folk with me have the absolute best kit to get me out! wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc, My point... Laughing she wasn't carrying, so would have been bug all use to me...

she had other uses tho... Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RPF wrote:
el nombre wrote:

Thats the the old analogue ones. The more modern digital ones prevent avalanches occurring in the first place. Toofy Grin

I was in a ski shop with my apprentice he asked the guy behind the till what a Recco was
He replied “it saves you from an avalanche” He replied !!!! Wow it put a force field around you !!!! rolling eyes Not the sharpest tool in the box
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glen Charman wrote:
RPF wrote:
el nombre wrote:

I was in a ski shop with my apprentice he asked the guy behind the till what a Recco was
He replied “it saves you from an avalanche” He replied !!!! Wow it put a force field around you !!!! rolling eyes Not the sharpest tool in the box

Wrong assumption -a Recco obviously sends a signal to the nearest SAR outpost who scramble a helicopter to pick you up. Works on the shake to activate principle like a heat pack only its churning in an Avy that does it. An analogue transceiver is a bit like an old candy bar mobile, a digital is like an Iphone that dials up SAR with your precise GPS position.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How long before they put GPS in a bleep
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
latest report
JT wrote:

The GPS signal won't penetrate the snow pack.
snow conditions
PJSki wrote:
JT wrote:

The GPS signal won't penetrate the snow pack.

No but useful for rescuers who would have a GPS location for SAR - arguably people could carry an emergency GPS for this purpose anyway or SPOT beacon is probably even better.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
I don't care what I carry - so long as the folk with me have the absolute best kit to get me out! wink

Exactly. That's why I'm happy with my shoite Tracker so long as my buddies have Pulse's wink

One of my favourites: What do you do when your buddy turns up with a transceiver but no shovel & probe (I've seen this happen)?
Answer: Give him your shovel & probe wink
snow report
fatbob,

Yep, when all hell is breaking loose, then GPS on a device will help the crew flying in...
snow report
JT wrote:
fatbob,

Yep, when all hell is breaking loose, then GPS on a device will help the crew flying in...

Yo, so got to be, bro. But so not worth jack sheeet to the mo-fo in the pit if the vis ain't slick. Ya dig?
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

Exactly. That's why I'm happy with my shoite Tracker so long as my buddies have Pulse's wink

Yo, bro, the BCA ain't so slow to a mo-fo in the know. But the Pulse ain't too intuitive if yo buddy ain't so slick with the blip and the diggin' and sheeet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy