Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L1 35 hours

Poster: A snowHead
Seeing as it's now 6 months since doing L1 I figured I better get my ass in gear and get the license posted to me. For the 35 hours I understand it's the director/manager of the school needs to write and sign a letter, on headed paper, confirming that you have completed these hours.
Now, question is does it have to be a story of everything I did or just "I confirm mr luv plums has completed 35 hours of ski school experience, signed Mr ski school boss man"?

Then it's just disclosure to do, I've been in switzerland for 5 years but it's best I get my forms from disclosure scotland, been a naughty boy once or twice Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Simple letter will do.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cool, thanks. Is that the same for the 70 hours? Or is that broken down more?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The same, at least it was for me. Just a few letters (or a shadowing form) signed by ski school boss.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
awesome. thanks again.

I have a new path I want to take. L2 sitting in the middle of the piste getting stoned then the new freestyle development coach courses. ISIA is dead unless an adaptive snowboard course comes up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny luv plums wrote:
awesome. thanks again.

I have a new path I want to take. L2 sitting in the middle of the piste getting stoned then the new freestyle development coach courses. ISIA is dead unless an adaptive snowboard course comes up.

I'm doing the Alpine Development Coach course at the moment (essentially an Assistant Race Coach qualification) - if the equivalent freestyle coaching course is the same quality it's well worth doing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Is that with BASI ? All the course names seem the same these days.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I was impressed with the snowboard skill level of the instructors I met (neil and ben), not at all ski like as I feared.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy, yes. It's the Alpine Development Coach Level 1, although I think it's had three different names in the last three years! Has it's roots in the APC (or was it the APM?), although in its current guise was bought in from the CSCF more or less in its entirety.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny luv plums wrote:
rob@rar, I was impressed with the snowboard skill level of the instructors I met (neil and ben), not at all ski like as I feared.

Listen mate, you have to stop pussy footing around and just climb aboard a pair of skis and get down to it. ISIA is where you need to be Wink I'm going to learn to snowboard, so we can compare notes. If fact, you could lend me your baggy pants and I could lend you my catsuit Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, believe me I have tried, at least 3 times Laughing I guess its being crap again that puts me off it, I want to go straight onto twin tips and be a freestyle monkey.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny luv plums wrote:
I guess its being crap again that puts me off it,

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe we should set up a support group for "Reluctant 2nd Discipliners"?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny luv plums, we are all crap when we start the getting up and going again is half the fun. Trouble with learning 2nd discipline is you feel you are missing out on the one you are better at as you said yourself you wanna be awesome immediately.
In saying your crap youre be comparing your skiing to your boarding which you have so much more experience of. IMO skiing has a slower initial learning curve than boarding.
Trying 3 times?? is that 3 runs, 3 days 3 weeks????

Go ski and enjoy it wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RPF, 3 times 1 hour Laughing

I dont get why 2nd discipline is so important when most people seem to get it then never do that 2nd discipline again.

Last time I skied was straight from boarding and some noob girl who was better than me let me go down the bunny slope 1st because I looked better than I am (her words exactly "you can go 1st, I'm just a beginner, you look like you know what you're doing" and she was intimidated by my gangsta steez. Laughing I got embarrased then I never did it again. Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny luv plums, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

For F Madeye-Smiley ck sake give it another shot Laughing Laughing you MIGHT even enjoy it. Laughing
latest report
Jonny luv plums wrote:
RPF, 3 times 1 hour Laughing

still Laughing Laughing a day later your a funny man Jonny luv plums
ski holidays
well the plan was to learn to ski in my lunch breaks but I soon realised it wasnt going to happen so I moved onto one of those ski fox sit on things, couldnt do that either Sad
latest report
Quote:

ski fox sit on things

Are they the "ski bike things"? Hardly counts as second discipline Very Happy
snow conditions
Jonny luv plums, If you learned to ski you could join the DHO!!!
snow conditions
these things

And yes I had the shoes on Cool

But what an awesome 2nd discipline if it was one though Very Happy
ski holidays
riverman, I didnt think being able to ski was a pre requisite of joining the DHO Laughing

Ski School without a teacher IMO. Little Angel
snow report
Jonny luv plums, good point
snow conditions
Jonny luv plums, If i was thirty years younger i would learn to snowboard as to do both would be great.
ski holidays
riverman, I think shouting "BIT OF A SCHUSS" at everything steeper than flat ground is a better skill to have for that club.
I only jest anyway, I do know some cool guys from that club who I do have some time for, shame they are outnumbered.
latest report
Jonny luv plums, having a second discipline is an ISIA rule I believe.
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums, If you are interested, I could possibly help you towards your Alpine L1 qualification next season.
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums wrote:
But what an awesome 2nd discipline if it was one though Very Happy

Is that thing all that different to a sit-ski ?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Jonny luv plums wrote:
awesome. thanks again.

I'm doing the Alpine Development Coach course at the moment (essentially an Assistant Race Coach qualification) - if the equivalent freestyle coaching course is the same quality it's well worth doing.

rob@rar I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about the Alpine Development Coach course you are doing at the mo. I've just passed my Alpine Instructor Level 1 and the whole piste performance aspect is one that really appeals to me. I'm too old for Freestyle and I'm not sure if the ole knees will hold up over the bumps, so staying on piste feels like the way to go

I had a quick look at the details of the course on the BASI site, but would welcome your thoughts first hand

Plus, going down this route there's a possibility that I may get to bump into Chemmy again.......moi, shallow? Hell yeah! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deleted, as no interest in this
snow report
Sleipnir wrote:
rob@rar I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about the Alpine Development Coach course you are doing at the mo.

Just finished so I'll do that in another thread when I've had a bit of a rest and reflection. I suppose the main thing you need to ask is why you want to do the course. If you (a) want to work with your local ski race club, or (b) it's a mandatory part of an instructor badge you're doing (such as ISIA) than it's a good course to do. But if neither those things are relevant I think there are better options for improving your personal skiing.
snow conditions
Jonny luv plums, Where do you get the idea that professional instructors don't use their second discipline? All the ones here do. In fact most have at least 3 + several languages. If you can't ski normally on alpine I don't see how you can do freestyle - a good base of solid technique is necessary for any tricks.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Jonny luv plums, Where do you get the idea that professional instructors don't use their second discipline? All the ones here do. In fact most have at least 3 + several languages. If you can't ski normally on alpine I don't see how you can do freestyle - a good base of solid technique is necessary for any tricks.

Do you teach snowboarding? I know my snowboarding is rustier since I've been skiing more and its always notable to me who teaches snowboarding regularly when observing lessons.
snow report
easiski, I assumed he meant snowboard freestyle coach?
snow report
Jonny is a freestyler at heart; he can do it quite nicely on a board; His interest doesn't change by wearing a pair of skis; so really he'd want to go freestyle right away... which won't work; and that puts him off...

How far am I off the truth Jonny Wink?

Someone needs to convince him he could actually benefit from listening to a skiteacher Wink
Maybe I should talk to his GF about that Wink
ski holidays
Sleipnir wrote:
rob@rar I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about the Alpine Development Coach course you are doing at the mo.

I've done a write-up of the course in this thread.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy