Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toe punch or grind

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm an advanced all mountian skier who is progressing into the park more and more. Ive skied a couple of weeks a year for the last 10 years and spent the last 2 seasons in Whistler (instructing) and Morzine (bumming) respectively.

Despite several attempts to find an acceptable boot I am still having troubles.

- First I had a Nordica Beast 10 in 28.5 but I was consistently having to find ways of filing the extra space.

- Last winter Snow and Rock fitted me a Salomon Ghost 27.5 with custom footbeds but after a week in Morzine my feet were black and blue and I had to take some days off skiing. I also had to have them punched out for my 6th toe and ground for extra volume in the toe box but it wasn't enough so I sent them back and got a refund.

- Now I have some Nordica Speed Machine 10s in 27.5 and they were pretty good for the majority of the season and as I earned more money and felt what work was needed I got custom footbeds and some shims for my right ankle. However I still feel that I get some toe bang on my big toes when landing a bit back seat and walking is pretty sore if Im hiking lines all day.

I reckon the main reason for this is that my feet are different sizes (several boot fitters have said this). The right would probably fit better in a 28. Since I don't want to buy another set of the same boots I was wondering to what extent the toebox could be pushed out or ground, particularly in the big toe areas? And are there any shops in the UK who are known to be good at this sort of work?

I appreciate that this is the area where the binding interfaces with the boot but any improvements would be worth it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
www.solutions4feet.com in Bicester
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ta Bicester is within reach. I'll call them next week
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
smokeyjack2000, welcome to snowHead's by the way. (very remiss of me in replying to your first post not to welcome you. I'm on a Friday pm mental go slow) wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smokeyjack2000, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Wot RPF, said. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a superbly written review somewhere on here about solutions 4 feet.

They seem quite popular.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing Laughing Mosha Marc,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
27.5 or 28, depends where the shell size change comes but it may make zippo difference. It sounds to me like you should sell these boots and get some that fit better without resorting to the boot fitters dark arts.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grind the toe off. Punching it may make it swell up larger.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, in pretty much all alpine boots except the atomic B tech range the split would be 27.0/27.5 being 31?mm and the 28.0/28.5 32?mm if i remember correctly the nordica speed machine is 315mm and 325mm respectively, so quite a difference

my money would be on the big toe just being a little too medial in the shell, a stretch to the shell just to square out the corner of the toe box usually resolves problems like the OP described...of course without seeing the foot and the boot it is impossible to say...but a simple stretch to a ski boot is hardly dark arts...my feet didn't come out a box and i'm sure most people are the same, boots on the other hand are mass produced, and sometimes just sometimes when someone whats a good performance fit they have to have modifications made, especially if both feet are slightly different sizes Little Angel
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smokeyjack2000, 6 toes? No wonder you are having problems with boots Shocked

Quote:

I also had to have them punched out for my 6th toe

Mind you I'm sure the master bootfitters will have sorted out most problems in the past and CEM, is bound to be able to work miracles
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice.

CEM is right about the bsl difference. I took some time looking at both 27.5 and 28 and indeed the difference is a whole 10mm. I was after a relatively tight fit as I can't stand the feeling of shifting around inside the boot. It seems to me that the shell is a good fit apart from a little too much pressure on the big toes at the front and on the side.

Hopefully I'll be able to make a trip to Bicester this week for a better diagnosis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy