Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming query - help please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
For some reason unknown to me I have always fancied skiing in Schladming!

Can all you knowledgeable snowheads enlighten me as to the good and the bad points of the resort please? We are a pretty mixed group covering snowboarding and skiing children (8-10 years) and good beginner through to advanced adults. I'm interested in ease of access to slopes, variety, crowds, lifts, extent, and peoples general opinions of the place. Not bothered by apres ski reviews!

If anyone can recommend good accomodation, preferably catered chalet with quick access to the slopes that would be great.

Many Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there,

I've been on four or five trips to Schladming, and really rate it. It's a town with a life of its own outside of skiing, so it doesn't feel like a typical resort, but there is plenty going on there. I don't usually like going back to places over and over, but Schladming is usually on my list, because it ticks so many boxes.

The skiing is on four lift-linked mountains, with the main Schladming mountain being the Planai, with the Hauser Kaibling to the east, and the Hochwurzen and Reiteralm to the West. The main Planai lift is just a minute from the town square, and there is another route up via the Golden Jet from the outskirts of town. You can ski back to resort down the Planai, but I think you need to downlift on the Golden Jet because it crosses the Rohrmoos road.

The skiing is interesting and in terms of extent, there is plenty of it, although it is not wildy varied, in that all four mountains go to roughly the same altitude, at roughly the same pitch, with broadly similar types of skiing on the wooded slopes. It's very pretty for skiing, and as long as your party can all ski blue runs, there is plenty of scope for everyone. Moving from one mountain to the other gives a good feeling of travelling, as you move quite a way along the valley, so it is fun to do, and can be quite exciting for more novice skiers who might have less experience of skiing with a view to getting somewhere, rather than just skiing around. However, be aware that some of the links are low down and so can be icy in the mornings (and one gets a bit narrow), so might be a bit off-putting for the 'good beginner'. The bus service along the valley from one mountain to another is pretty good, and if you want to really explore the Reiteralm for example, then it's worth considering getting the bus there, rather than skiing and arriving with tired legs! For the advanced adults, there isn't much on piste that will be particularly exciting, but there are quite a few off-piste opportunities so plenty to go at.

Snow-wise, Schladming is low altitude, but has a surprisingly good snow record. The slopes are north facing so hold the snow well, and the resort is usually one of the first to open and last to close (a couple of years ago they opened in October!), so whilst the lower slopes can get slushy in the spring, you're usually pretty confident of good snow there. There is also the Dachstein Glacier on the liftpass, and accessed by bus, so that is an option for a day out.

I would say that location of accommodation is important in town, as it can be a bit of a walk from some of the accommodation, and there are citybuses but they're not that regular. There is no ski in ski out accommodation, unless you stay at one of the mountain restaurants I guess, but there is loads within a 2 or 3 minute walk. There is also lots of accommodation a bit of a trek away, so be realistic about how far you are prepared to walk. The town is flatish though so it's not trudging up and down hills. We stayed around a 12 minute walk from the lifts last time, and sometimes we got a citybus, sometimes we walked, sometimes left equipment in a locker etc. The distance didn't bother us. There are lockers at the bottom of the slopes, but you can't get them for a week, only for a day at a time, which can make a combination of skiers, keys, starting and finishing times etc. a bit complicated!

I would also bear in mind that it's not historically been a place that lots of Brits go to (and it's by no means over-run now), and so in general the standard of English spoken is lower than in other bigger more touristy resorts. As an example, we had a ski instructor who we were told spoke excellent English, and really he didn't, and my friend and I who spoke German had to translate for the rest of the group.

The town is in the shade for a lot of the day in winter, so it's not really a place for playing in the snow in the valley, but I guess that won't be a problem as the kids you mention are older than that anyway.

OK, I'm kind of waffling here. I did do a review of Schladming so have a look at that, and I think there are one or two others.

Happy sliding
D
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forgot to mention, the area is part of the Ski Amade region, so the liftpass also covers loads of other resorts, accessed by bus and/or train, such as Flachau, Wagrain, Zauchensee, etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deliaskis,

I was going to write something but can't now.... you have gone and said it all!! NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kyoto49, As Deliaskis has said, it's quite a good ski area. I've only been once, more than 10 years ago. The town has some nice restaurants, I seem to recollect that if you like typical Austrian food there was a good eating place next to the local brewery Toofy Grin
I stayed a bit out from the town centre, the pension was near to a chairlift (can't remember the name of it). However this chairlift was a bit unusual in that it went through a horizontal tunnel for about 50 metres! Shocked before coming out in the open and then ascending - anyone know if that chairlift still operates?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink, That chairlift is no more. It has been replaced by a gondola that goes above the ridge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cad99uk, Thanks for that info. I'm not aware of any other chairlifts that go through tunnels (unless of course Snowheads know differently Toofy Grin )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kyoto49, I'd recommend it too, can't add a lot to what Deliaskis has said but would definitely recommend a half day trip out to the Dachstein glacier. Apart from having fantastic views (you can walk out a little way on a see through platform!) it had just about the best snow I've ever skied on and one nice long run - red or black, might be slightly tricky for any less confident group members.

I'd also recommend the restaurant near the brewery (if you go see if you can the spot the picture with Arnie Laughing ) and on the Planai mountain the restaurant just above the top gondola station, can't remember its name, had excellent food. The Schafalm just a short ski down from the top was good too though very crowded.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There did used to be one (as i've seen a photo of it) but its now been replaced i believe.

Loved Schaldming last year when i went and being there for the Mens World Cup Nightslalom gave it a great atmosphere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just booked up a trip to Schladming to coincide with the Nightrace. It's a great resort ( as Deliaskis says )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went last year end of Feb. It was 10 degrees when we arrived a skiing was mush half way down mountain. Having said that we still had an excellent time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The low altitude has been bothering me and we've decided to book somewhere higher.

I'd definitely try Schlad on a last minute deal, when I could be sure its full of snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Schladming in 2008, really enjoyed it.

I did find the runs back down to resort level got very slushy, icy and muddy near the bottom by the end of the afternoon though. Was sometimes a bit of a challenge!

The men's downhill is fun Very Happy

We found the resort fairly quiet in the evenings though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker, the altitude is just about the norm for most of Austria. We went mid March and there was tons of snow but by mid afternoon it was sticky below 1200m. That still left masses of great stuff above that level and it was quite brilliant.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh - and try to find the Music Piste!! It's exactly as it sounds.
snow conditions
Quote:

The low altitude has been bothering me and we've decided to book somewhere higher.

Does the FIS get a bit worried about the altitude when they book the nightrace.... or even the World Championships?
Still... more room for the rest of us then!
(Chicago - 177m gets 30cm of snow...)
latest report
bar shaker wrote:

I'd definitely try Schlad on a last minute deal, when I could be sure its full of snow.

But just remember that for the last few seasons, Schladming has usually been about the first non-glacier resort to be open.

And they run world cup races there in early January, which finish right down at the base.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

But just remember that for the last few seasons, Schladming has usually been about the first non-glacier resort to be open.

And they run world cup races there in early January, which finish right down at the base.

Quite, Schladming is one of the places I book when I want to 'play it safe' in terms of snow. north-facing, traditionally early opening late closing, loads of skiing above the mid-stations on all four mountains, glacier within spitting distance, and the most impressive snow-making I have ever seen.
latest report
alex_heney, Deliaskis, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:
and the most impressive snow-making I have ever seen.
Thus ensuring a safe base for the whole season without sacrificing the agricultural potential of the alms (meadows/fields) instead of ripping all the soil away as they squeeze every last money from snow hungry skiers!

And some people, who should remain nameless, regard this as a reason to categorically state that it proves that Austria has a poor snow record and is way too low to be suitable for "serious" skiers! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The idea that they blow snow just about everywhere these days seems to be ignored in some peoples minds! wink

Sue Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

And some people, who should remain nameless, regard this as a reason to categorically state that it proves that Austria has a poor snow record and is way too low to be suitable for "serious" skiers!

why should they remain nameless? I can't remember anyone on SHs making such a ridiculous assertion. And as I spend my winters in a resort where many of the pistes are on pastures and have plenty of summer pics of the cows happily munching away on the flowers, I am all in favour of pastures as pistes. However, it is also true that what is also ignored in a lot of people's minds is that no matter how many snow cannons there are, they can't blow snow on low level pastures (like the ones I hope to be skiing on in France in a few weeks) with a freezing level as high as it is at the moment. Hence the claims that snow cannons "guarantee" cover down to village level all season, which is as ridiculous a claim as to suggest that Austria is not suitable for serious skiers.
snow report
There are twoinescapable fact that you need cold temps for snow to last and that you get 5 degC colder every 1000m higher you go.
ski holidays
Three .....and the temperatues drop as one goes East, away from the North Atlantic weather systems
ski holidays
Quote:

you get 5 degC colder every 1000m higher you go

may be true in global terms, but locally there are a lot of inversions and in practice the relationship depends on a whole lot of things including, I believe, humidity. And in practice, also, snowfall can be very local - even different sides of the same mountain can get very different amounts. Some places just get better snowfall than others, for no reason directedly related to their altitude or lat/long.
snow report
Look you lot.... calm down... heightists make Austria a quieter place for everybody!!
snow report
Who cares about the last 300 or 400m of vert? The best skiing territory is mostly above mid station, so even if the lower slopes are a tad wet the places I most like to ski are likely to be in great shape. Last season I skied from the Dachstein at 2700m down 20km+ to Krippenstein. Started off freezing and by time we hit Krip it was +20 and sunny, it was april. The slushy bits were great fun as were the powder bits higher up. Best to appreciate all conditions then you don't get disappointed.
snow conditions
Quote:

Best to appreciate all conditions then you don't get disappointed

Absolutely - and when people have had "perfect" conditions for their first holiday then can feel very disgruntled when it's anything but perfect the next time. There was a thread about that recently suggesting everyone should start in the Cairngorms.
snow conditions
I have been skiing and boarding for twenty years but have never had slush. Call me a heightist bit I would be gutted if I lost 30% of my vert. I'll stick to resorts around 2000m and wait for a big freeze to hit Austria... Then book flights sharpish!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker wrote:
I have been skiing and boarding for twenty years but have never had slush. Call me a heightist bit I would be gutted if I lost 30% of my vert. I'll stick to resorts around 2000m and wait for a big freeze to hit Austria... Then book flights sharpish!

no slush in 20 years!!, sorry but where you been skiing then, mk snowzone? I've done lengthy, numerous ski trip at all points in the season (nov - may) for many years in europe (mainly high french resorts and austria) and north america. Every location gets slush, especially mid season onwards.
latest report
waynos, I've always been between Jan and March, never been lower than 1500m. And, I guess, always been lucky with the weather. I normally book a main to trip to somewhere dead cert (its Tignes this year, end of Jan) and then get some short breaks in, booked a couple of weeks before we go, having seen that the snow is good and there are no long term weather problems (such as an expanding high pressure system over Gibralter).

I will do Schladming, but I'll wait until there's snow down to the village and the temps are set to stay cold. Its all a bit irrelevant at the moment as there doesn't appear to be much snow below 150mm. Going all that way, at all that expense, to find its all slush and puddles would drive me mad.

One thing is for certain, this year isn't going to be as good as last year. Half as good would be good enough, though.
ski holidays
Quote:

One thing is for certain, this year isn't going to be as good as last year

Puzzled It's November!
latest report
Last November was amazing, as was the rest of the season.
ski holidays
yes, November was definitely better last year, but December, January, February, March and April could all be even better this season! Don't write off the season when 90% of resorts aren't due to open for a few weeks yet!
ski holidays
Last year we had a massive Atlantic Oscillation in the jetstream which pulled cold air down over a moist warm North Atlantic, dumping it on the Alps.

This year looks a bit more conventional, but who knows.

Me, I'm playing safe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy