Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee in summer for beginners and intermediates

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about persuading my other half into a trip to Saas Fee this summer.
All the sites say that it is suitable for beginners and intermediates, does anyone know if this means in winter and summer or just during the winter season.
I would hate to drag her out there on the promise of skiing that she could cope with only to find the only areas available are outwith her capabilities.
Especially as I would be off like a shot anything that was there and then would be in the bad books for dragging her out there.

I suppose if it is OK for her, does anyone have any Saas Fee top tips
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dek, Saas-Fee is really not suitable for beginners in the summer. There is no nursery slope on the glacier.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dek, she's not a beginner though is she? Big difference between beginner and intermediate in terms of terrain. Even if there's no nursery slope cruisy reds and blues would be ok for an intermediate?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not suitable for a first timer.
But if just a not very good skier, but one that can get around a resort in the winter, then Saas Fee is not threatening and an excellent place for a part skiing holiday in the summer.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not do a Warren Smith course there this summer....you get great instruction, will improve greatly, and have a good time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dek, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
She isn't a beginner, but not a comfortable red cruiser.
Cruising a few blues and easy reds is the plan. Plus an opportunity to see the mountain.

Hi Beanie, hope all is well. I am trying to get some ski time in, as the winter was written off due to work and other reasons. Hopefully be able to get a run out in Oct/ Nov as well, are you going out?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dek, not this year - I'm moving to Hong Kong at the end of July! Boyfriend has a 2 year secondment over there, and I'll be job hunting. Hoping to get some skiing in Japan whilt out there.

Maybe you should give one of those Warren Smith courses a go, as suggested above?!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Warren Smith is a consideration, but I really just want to go out and cruise around with mrs, spend some time helping her on with her skiing rather than blasting off on my own.
Just looking at somewhere that can be a bit more than just a trip 100% skiing, maybe even soak in a bit of culture. Hopefully as well gain some brownie points for when I go off on my own with my son, leaving her standing.

Enjoy HK, Japan should be top of your list........ Dek
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about Hintertux, stay in Mayrhofen? Or is that run from the top of the gondola a bit steep for her?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dek, I went to Saas Fee for a skiing holiday in February this year and really enjoyed it. However, if you look at the piste map, most of the slopes at the top of the mountain are reds and all the lifts are T bars because it's on the glacier. Also, the only access to the glacier slopes from the Metro Alpin is a bit tricky for someone relatively inexperienced or not too confident as it is a little narrow and has a couple of sharp bends. I went on a Warren Smith course there last August and, although the course was good, found it a bit too demanding for my level of ability at the time (although a more experienced skier dropped out because she felt she was supposed to be on holiday and wasn't enjoying the challenge). A lot of other skiers on the glacier were on the course or people doing race training so it doesn't have quite the same social aspect as normal holiday skiing. Although I would consider another Summer course to focus on improving my skiing after having gained more experience, I don't think I would be particularly inclined to ski on the glacier as part of a Summer holiday.
Hope these comments are of some help!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Iski.

Been looking at LDA also thanks to a certain prolific poster amongst us. Cheers Easiski
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm I have been to Saas fee in August four years ago. I think in summer Saas Fee is for beginners ONLY. The t-bars on Allalin glacier serve very (very) gentle slopes. Moreover you should be aware that you spend a lot of time waiting at the lifts because racing teams are doing slalom training during the summer up there (yes you don't need demanding runs for slalom training). The only resort which is also good during summer is the Matterhorn glacier paradise in Zermatt with a vertical drop of at least 1000 m. To complete this post: From October to May the situation is completely different. The lower slopes in Saas Fee (underneath glacier niveau) are quiet demanding and diverse.
During summer hiking and mounatineering in Saas Fee is ways better than skiing Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martin82, thanks for the info.
I am leaning towards LDA at the moment for a number of reasons, including some strong arguments from a fellow Snowhead.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dek,

Don't know Saas fee but I guess it is all about how timid/nervous or uncomfortable the Mrs is.

Having said that, Charlotte and L2A would be my choice from a skiing POV. The glacier is big and wide and should provide a confidence inspiring platform to impove.

You can follow her summer teaching camp here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51492

and

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51850

If you don't know this already...
snow report
Having been summer/glacier skiing (in LDA and Tignes) three times now, including the recent training camp, I personally wouldn't even consider summer skiing unless having fairly intensive lessons. With an instructor you can get lift priority rather than fighting with the racers and there really isn't enough terrain (because of the space taken by the gates and the snowparks) to make it worthwhile just cruising around. Depending on the weather the snow conditions can also be less than perfect. We were very fortunate in LDA last week but of the two days before our course started one had been very cold - bullet proof all day - and the next very warm - slush by 1030am. It also isn't everybody's idea of a holiday to have to be at the lift before 7am mixing it with hundreds of testosterone-charged Italian adolescents. We loved our week, but we were all very keen to improve our skiing - for someone already slightly reluctant and a bit anxious it could be miserable.

I wouldn't suggest a Warren Smith course for someone who is a bit nervous and tentative (have you seen that video where he puts them all on just one ski and tells them to get on with it?); easiski would be a far better option.
ski holidays
pam w Warren has several guys working with him, and the groups are split by ability.
You can be sure that each group does drills and makes progress in accordance with their ability.
No one legged drills until you are ready for them.

All his guys are very nice and empathetic to the level of their group.

I'd agree with your sentiment about the motivation for a summer skiing holiday though.
latest report
rungsp, I hope you're not suggesting I do?

pam w, rungsp, Don't forget that you don't have to ski all day (morning) in the summer. You can go up at 9, ski for 1.5 hours or so and then sit in the sun. You don't have to ski every day either. The point is that there's so much else to do as well and (usually) fabulous weather that it's a good option for couples, one of whom is keener than the other.
ski holidays
easiski, as if!
snow report
Quote:

Having been summer/glacier skiing (in LDA and Tignes) three times now, including the recent training camp, I personally wouldn't even consider summer skiing unless having fairly intensive lessons. With an instructor you can get lift priority rather than fighting with the racers and there really isn't enough terrain (because of the space taken by the gates and the snowparks) to make it worthwhile just cruising around.

I would disagree with lots of the above. Been to 6 or 7 summer ski glaciers and, while lots of the mountain can be set out for race teams, I've always found enough space to just "cruise around." Anyway, the racers go home before the slopes close, leaving the whole glacier to go at. Compared to peak season dates in winter, I have never found a glacier to be overly busy between the months of June and October and have never had queues of more than about 5 minutes for T bars - so never felt like priority was needed.

Dek: Saas Fee is a lovely village but the ski area and lift system can be a bit more limited than other glaciers. It's quite a long job to get up the mountain too. You can't beat Tignes for the 6 or 7 minute funicular access (and up to 20km of piste) or Hintertux for (probably) more varied & extensive terrain.
ski holidays
Thanks all,

It seems that I have opened a bit of a debate over what is available.
I think that less focus is made on what is available in Summer months in most of the sites many of us on here visit so the info is a bit sketchy.
I think of skiing in the summer as a bonus time, anything is better than nothing - that said, if I drag the other half along, I have to be sure she will enjoy herself.
Personally I would sleep on a park bench to get a days skiing, but Mrs doesnt share that enthusiasm.

I dont want to go and perfect my technique at a training course, just want to spend some time with my wife on the snow, also to try and prove that every time we do go skiing I wont rush off to the top of the mountain whilst she stays on the lower slopes.

Can anybody tell me, is it super hot July / Aug in the mountains.
latest report
Dek, frequently. Village afternoon temps here are typically around 30 in the shade
snow report
Quote:

is it super hot July / Aug in the mountains

certainly is at the moment - and generally we get better weather here in the summer than at home. That's certainly been true the last 7 years, anyway. But it's the mountains - so it can change really quickly. There was snow on the ground here in August last year, when it was rather colder than it had been in April! And there are some huge thunderstorms - but I generally really enjoy them, provided I'm not outside.
ski holidays
Quote:

Can anybody tell me, is it super hot July / Aug in the mountains.

Yeah, as people have said, temps can be in the 30s in the valley - which makes it totally incredible to head up for a morning's skiing. The snow can be total mush (esp south facing) by 10am - but that's all part of the summer ski experience.

Quote:

I think of skiing in the summer as a bonus time, anything is better than nothing

My view entirely - which is why you would love it.
ski holidays
Quote:

And there are some huge thunderstorms - but I generally really enjoy them, provided I'm not outside.

Got caught in one on the glacier at Tignes last July. Top of the mountain when the lightning started - visibility of about a foot, violent winds and earsplitting thunder by the time we skied down. Not one of my more pleasant ski experiences..... Shocked

Then had to ride up the very slow chair which gets you back to the funicular. Interesting!
latest report
Might even try a bit of this walking lark........... Shocked

Either that or do something stupid on a mountain bike. Just as long as I can repair in time for the winter snowHead
snow conditions
Dek

C'mon then! Have you convinced the missus to go?? If so, where to?
ski holidays
Heading out to Sass the last week of July if anyone is around?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, At the moment the only skiing I`m getting is a day trip to Castleford

Stuck out of the country at the moment so all persuasion is being done by phone line and e-mail.
Just lining up all the evidence and it is very complelling at the moment
Still working on it though
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy