Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 course

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of doing the level 1 course later in the year (probably at Braehead, although dry slope options also available).

I have read all the stuff on the BASI site, but would be interested in hearing what actually happens during the course on a practical level. I assume there is some workshop type teaching, some study of the manual and some practical ski-ing. What sort of things so you do on the slopes?

I am still not clear about what you can do after the course itself. I know you have to put in 35 hours at a school but what does that tend to consist of?

Any other tips or thoughts would be welcome. Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I am still not clear about what you can do after the course itself. I know you have to put in 35 hours at a school but what does that tend to consist of?

After the course you will need to do a 2 day first aid course, a child protection course and 35 hrs shadowing to validate the qualification. Then you will be qualified to teach on atificial slopes.

The course is also the prerequisite for BASI L2 which you can do after another 35 hrs shadowing.

I've not actually done the course (it was Trainee Instructor in my day), but I'm sure someone who's done it recently will be along to fill in the detail.

In terms of level you need to be able to do basic parallel on red runs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lorenzo, I did the L1 course a couple of years ago, although in resort rather than an indoor slope. The course seemed to divide naturally into three areas: personal performance; demoing Central Theme progression (complete beginners through to early parallel skiing); and delivering sample lessons (to your fellow students on the course).

Personal performance covered the range of steering methods, so we did short and long radius turns which were both edged and skidded on blues red and blacks, some bumps and some steeps (on piste only). I think some of this work took us beyond the level required by the assessment criteria, but it was a good foundation for the L2 course I did a few weeks later.

Central Theme demos took up a lot of time, and we were expected to be very accurate in our body movements in all the CT elements, showing good rate and range of movement. This was a challenge to everyone in my group as few of us seemed to ski with that level of accuracy in our day to day skiing, and none of us had done much snowploughing and plough parallels recently.

The teaching demos were a bit nerve-wracking if you'd not done that before, but were OK provided you gave a bit of thought to how to present your CT demos to new skiers in a safe and enjoyable manner.

After skiing each day we spent a couple of hours in the classroom covering some of the wealth of material that is included in the BASI Alpine manual, complementing the on-snow activities we did. These sessions were a good opportunity to clear up any confusion you had about technique or teaching.

As beanie1 said, to complete the L1 qualification you need to do 35 hours ski school experience (after you have done the L1 course). This can be shadowing instructors (useful) or doing things such as working on the equipment issue desk in a ski school (less useful, but good way to get to the hours). The 2-day First Aid needs to be with an approved provider, although BASI didn't have a clear definition of what that was. I did mine with St John Ambulance, which was a generic activity 1st aid course and was very dull. A much better option would have been a course with BASP, although if you want to do this book early as they are very popular. The Child Protection course that you must do is now available online, so easy to complete at any time.

In terms of knowing whether you are at the right level the best way is probably to get a 1 hour lesson with a BASI Tutor or Trainer. They can take a look at all aspects of your skiing and advise if you're at the right kind of level and if some aspects need development. The only tip I'd give is to get somebody who knows how to do good CT demos to help you practice before you do the course. I did this for three or four hours and it made a big difference to how I got on with the L1 course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, rob@rar, thanks for the replies and all the helpful info. Much appreciated!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lorenzo, I have literally just finished my BASI Level 1 course a couple of hours ago (all this week at Tamworth). Pleased to say that I passed Very Happy Very Happy So, all of you guys out there who are instructors who'd like to help me get my shadowing hours in............Tamworth is my closed snow centre, but if the opportunity arose to may be shadow some of you at other places, I'd jump at the opportunity. Kitty kindly suggested that I may like to shadow at Hemel and absolutely I'll drop gilleski a line

Whilst on the subject of Kitty MANY CONGRATULATIONS - really pleased to hear that you passed your BASI course. It's a good feeling isn't it....go out and celebrate, you deserve it girl!

Lorenzo if you have any more questions or want specific details of what's what, just let me know, but what has been said before is pretty much on the money!!!

I'm now off for a beer......!!!!! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sleipnir, Well done you! You deserve that beer.
Yes, it is a great feeling. This time yesterday I was convinced that I was going to fail so today has been a very good day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sleipnir, Kitty, congrats and well done Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sleipnir, Well done mate. There's been loads of guys shadowing recently at Hemel, don't think it would be a problem doing a few hours. Always thankful of a helping hand. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kitty wrote:
This time yesterday I was convinced that I was going to fail

That was never going to happen Smile

Congratulations!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitty, Sleipnir, Well done snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sleipnir, Kitty,
What did they get you to do in the tests? What did you find toughest?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RPF wrote:
Sleipnir, Kitty,
What did they get you to do in the tests? What did you find toughest?

Of all of the Central Theme work, the one area that I struggled with the most was plough parallel. As it's a halfway house, not one thing or the other, it's something that you never really encounter yourself in your own skiing. In demoing it though you really have to show the various elements, plough, matching the (uphill) ski late in the turn and then eventually earlier and earlier until you reach a parallel turn

The one thing that brought all of the Central Theme home to me is that when you are instructing others it has to be mega clear, precise and in some respects, a little 'exagerated' in order to show beginners what you are wanting them to do. Also be very patient and smooth.......(rather than trying to force things)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RPF, Loads of Central Theme work, short turns and longer carved turns, teaching sessions. Carving isn't really my forte so I guess I struggled most with that. We also had some fairly zippy bumps to play in which took a bit of getting used to (although bumps aren't actually a part of the course).
Although my Central Theme needed tidying, I have been teaching for a while so I kind of knew what was expected.
The most difficult drills for me were the one legged skiing stuff. I need to go and practice those, preferably when no one else is looking!

rob@rar, What is your course like? What is the course content? I assume, having seen you all ski, that you are all pretty experienced skiers Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kitty wrote:
rob@rar, What is your course like? What is the course content? I assume, having seen you all ski, that you are all pretty experienced skiers Cool

It's a good course, with great supporting materials and the Trainer, Ross Green, knows his stuff (raced on WC circuit for a few years, was top 30 ranked, 15th at the 2002 Olympics in the combined, etc). The group are pretty good, including one who is in the GB squad for his age group. Some of the drills are evil and the video feedback sessions take no prisoners, but I enjoyed the first day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, Pete said the trainer was a pretty hot skier and that he had competed at Olympic level. do you need an interpreter though?!
What is the entry level requirement for the course?
ski holidays
Kitty, he's Scottish, so although I miss the odd word here and there I don't need a interpreter as such Smile

Not sure what the entry level is for the course. I suspect not that high as this is the first qualification in the 4 level coaching pathway and BASI won't want to exclude too many people from starting to develop coaching skills.
ski holidays
rob@rar, there's Scottish and Scottish so I just wondered if it was a challenge!
I think that Spydie is pretty interested in doing the course at some point soon.
snow report
Kitty wrote:
I think that Spydie is pretty interested in doing the course at some point soon.

He'd have no problem with it, I'm sure.
ski holidays
Kitty, rob@rar, did you find that one downside (if you can say that) is that the course syllabus does not allow you hours and hours of time to practice some of the new(er) stuff you encounter in order to get it really polished.

BASI have a scoring system of 1 - 6 in terms of the technical stuff which goes from

1. Early awareness - enough awareness and information to start practising the acitivity with the elements starting to become visible =>
6. Late acquired - element is autonomous and can be used at will to bring about a number of different outcomes

For Level 1 to pass you had to be in the middle at least 3 or 4 (5 & 6 were really for Level 2). 3 is that you are doing the activity but have not yet mastered it and 4 is that you have mastered it but need to work more upon consistency and versatility

I had a couple of 3s eg plough parallels and short/zippy turns and would really have liked to spend hours getting these polished, but the time just wasn't there within the course. Saying that, now I know what I need to work on to improve wink

I forget to say who my BASI teacher was - Andy Jerram. Andy is I think known to some of you already and is a very very good skier and teacher (I think a BASI level 4). Yeah, I'm sure he's a 4 as he was explaining all of the BASI structure through from 1 to the highest of the high. OMG there's a lot of work to get up there with the gods and you are looking at many years work (4, 5, 6+ years). And at the highest level there are so many different elements you have to cover, including writing an essay/paper. Andy did his on the development of skis and their design over the years. Pretty heavy stuff, eh Shocked Shocked
latest report
Sleipnir, Practice, practice and more practice is definitely the key for all of the things you mention. When you go shadowing perhaps allow an extra half hour before of after just to do the things you are a bit shaky on. Plough parallels are the most difficult thing to demo well IMO.
snow report
Kitty wrote:
Sleipnir, Practice, practice and more practice is definitely the key for all of the things you mention. When you go shadowing perhaps allow an extra half hour before of after just to do the things you are a bit shaky on. Plough parallels are the most difficult thing to demo well IMO.

You are so right Kitty practice is key and getting good instruction and feedback on your performance. One of the others on the course asked - "I can't understand why you ski every week and lesson after lesson after lesson - what on earth do you do?".........err, learn new stuff and then practice and practice until I get it right!!! Shocked wink wink
ski holidays
Sleipnir, that sort of comment makes me wonder why they were doing the course Puzzled I for one need all the practice and feedback I can get. I think you can get a bit lazy and go off the boil if you don't do some training or even just concentrate on certain elements of your skiing for a period whilst on holiday. I know I did.
ski holidays
Quote:

that sort of comment makes me wonder why they were doing the course

Kitty if I tell you that one person in our group failed the technical aspects of the course........I'll leave you to figure out who rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

learn new stuff and then practice and practice until I get it right!!!

Its the best way to enjoy snowdome skiing is to go with a few goals to work on.

Quote:

I think you can get a bit lazy and go off the boil if you don't do some training or even just concentrate on certain elements of your skiing for a period whilst on holiday

I find it too easy to get distracted on holidays by steeps, powder moguls, fast long pistes etc. etc. to work on the less exciting aspects so regular practice indoors is ideal. Any drill that makes the descent longer than the lift back up is good enough for me Blush
snow conditions
Weel done Sleipnir snowHead snowHead snowHead

Andy Jerram is great (IMHO) - a good skier and a good laugh. He's a BASI Trainer - so, "above" Level 4.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Kitty wrote:

It's a good course, with great supporting materials and the Trainer, Ross Green, knows his stuff (raced on WC circuit for a few years, was top 30 ranked, 15th at the 2002 Olympics in the combined, etc). The group are pretty good, including one who is in the GB squad for his age group. Some of the drills are evil and the video feedback sessions take no prisoners, but I enjoyed the first day.

The course looked pretty good from what I saw of the guys today apart from one guy in an aqua blue jacket wink Some of the lads were pretty handy.
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Weel done Sleipnir snowHead snowHead snowHead

Andy Jerram is great (IMHO) - a good skier and a good laugh. He's a BASI Trainer - so, "above" Level 4.

You are right FlyingStantoni Andy is a really good skier, trainer and a very nice bloke t'boot. Prior to the course I've skied with him at the Snowdome when he runs his sessions for other instructors, so we knew one another (and worse still), he knew all of my bad ski habits.

I guess you being in Morzine, you've go to know Andy and Fi well. Nice people
ski holidays
fatbob, Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:

In terms of knowing whether you are at the right level the best way is probably to get a 1 hour lesson with a BASI Tutor or Trainer. They can take a look at all aspects of your skiing and advise if you're at the right kind of level and if some aspects need development.

Can anyone suggest where I could do this (lesson with BASI trainer) in Scotland. I am in Perth, so all of Scotland is within travelling distance!

I would really like to do the level 1 in September but, although I have skied for 20+ years, my last lesson was more than 10 years ago. I guess I may have to do some preliminary work and hold off til next year. Difficult to tell though.
snow report
Lorenzo, contact the BASI office (www.basi.org.uk) to ask for some contact details. I'm sure there would be somebody at/near the Braehead snowdome.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

He's a BASI Trainer - so, "above" Level 4.

Hm, I think most Level 4s would contradict you there! wink Trainer is a job, not a level - to pass your level 4 you have to be as good as the trainer.
snow report
Well done, Sleipnir!
snow conditions
Sleipnir, Kitty, - congratulations and well done!
snow report
beanie1, pedant alert, but a trainer perhaps, not the trainer NehNehI doubt many people would get close to Ross Green's level of skiing.
snow conditions
beanie1, yes, but I think you only get invited to become a trainer once you've got your level 4 anyway, so yes also to FlyingStantoni and Sideshow_Bob.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, sorry yes being a pedant! No, most people would never come close to Ross' level of skiing... I just know a few L4s who don't like the misconception that being a trainer is somehow a "higer" level of qualification than L4 itself.
snow conditions
beanie1, Im one of them! Im a trainer and a level 4. Level 4 is my qualification and trainer is an appointment.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy