Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's important if skiing with Children?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Basoid, yup, and if you are who I think we had lunch in the Trafford Centre about 2 years ago?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1,

We did. Hello mate, aren't you in Mexico??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what lots of people have said about expect to lose things and everything takes 3 times (if you're lucky!) as long etc etc. I'd add to the expectations , Expect them to enjoy it and to have a great time - the more you 'fuss' the more they'll think there is something to fuss about..... oh and get them carrying skis from day 1 or you'll end up being a full time sherpa
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Basoid, Basoid, yes i am indeed, wifi by the pool, ha ha!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One thing I forgot - Yes, get them carrying skis - have done this many times now, and for the first time this year deployed those little velcro tapes that held the skis together as they carried them - it made one huge difference to the success of this operation and made well worth the extra 30 seconds that it took at the end of the journey to collect them up and safely pocket them for the return trip. I would thoroughly recommend these little tapes.

Pity we can't get them with 'Snowheads' written through them Very Happy

Oh, yes, and another point is that now the big resorts are doing the electronic tag system for the lift passes its helpful if their ski jackets have an upper LH pocket either on breast or ideally a pocket on the LH arm. My little 'uns new jacket doesn't and it meant buying a separate holder and then you have to get them to remember to take it with them each day where as if you get a decent pocket on the jacket pop pass in on day one and then ban them from opening that pocket for the whole trip. They won't forget the jacket, but they might forget a separate holder.

Also, it is worth having a 'before we leave the accommodation' and before you get to the ski room check list - have they got, gloves, both ski boots (if not left in basement), helmet, buff/balaclava, salopettes (don't ask!!!!), ski pass holder if needed (see above), sun cream, enough choccy left in pocket. It sounds a trite, but its well worth running through the list verbally even if it sounds daft - can save loads of time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Speaking from an instructors point of view having taught many, many children both young and old, I urge parents to consider the following:

1 Look at the weather/check temperature - if it's cloudy/snowing/windy then wrap them up in enough layers - THIS INCLUDES GLOVES!!! In contrast, if it's one of those glorious sunny days, please don't wrap them up in four layers - they work hard and get very hot. I've had to strip kids of their ski jackets, jumper, fleece under and thermal layer before as I've dried their sopping wet hair under the ski helmet until the steam stops eminating from their head. Imagine if you were hot and tired when learning to ski - not a good mix and means not as much skiing gets done because the little ones need to rest more.

2. Clothing: Get WATERPROOF gloves. What is the use of a fleece pair in minus whatever with the kids playing in the snow and falling over when learning. Also, don't give them a hand me down pair thats lost its waterproofing (ditto). Please, please make sure they FIT!!
Ski suits - I know, I know! But I have perfected the ski-instructor fast action child needs the toilet undressing and ski suits are a nightmare when a child really, really needs the loo. Despite regular toilet breaks, some children wait until the skis are back on and change their mind that they need to go NOW!

3. Ski School - we are not a dumping ground for your children. We are not a creche or babysitting service. We are professional ski instructors there to teach your child to ski. And some children simply don't like it. This doesn't happen often, but when it does and we telephone you, that means you need to get your child NOW. Ditto with a child being ill. I can't count the number of times I've called a parent for a sick child and they have told me that they are up the mountain skiing so the child can wait until the end of the lesson. So the poor, sick child is crying their eyes out and the helper has to try and entertain them and lie to say their parents will be there in five minutes. My colleague had this situation and the child was taken to the local chemist, who advised the mother to take the child to the doctor straight away. The child was hospitalised overnight.

Also, when the lesson ends at 12 or 1 or whatever, if the parents are late returning then someone has to stay with your child. Unpaid. With no thanks when the parent gets back! So expect to get shouted at when you are late for the third time and the instructor has half an hour to grab some food and get to their next lesson!! It's simple, get yourself organised, judge the lift queues so that you won't be in the queue when the lesson ends and be on time for your child puuurrrlllleeeeassse!!

Having said that, I have met many many wonderful parents who are as excited about their child's progress in ski school and practice with them in the afternoon. There is nothing better than seeing the progress of an unsure or nervous child to skiing a blue run by the end of the week - I love my job and I do it as best as I can - skiing should be FUN!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
listen darlin, you're a ski instructor, you aint got much to complain about, try being one of us losers back in the world in dead end, mind numbing jobs. I'd take sick, hot, grumpy, abandoned kids and and rude drunk parents any day of the week!!
(and yes it is your fault when the weather/snow conditions aint good enough to take my weans for a lesson at the time i paid for!!) Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chocolate in the pocket for older kids (8+). It was the difference between tears and a happy child the first time we took ours!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Put them in a school which runs an annual ski trip! My children prefer the school trip to our family trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually the school trip idea is very true - took ours with us twice. Then this'll be her second year with the school - which she much prefers (well actually she would prefer both, but having to choose - the school one wins for her)

Cheaper than us taking her in the school holidays too! because it allows us to go in term time when it's much much cheper!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy