Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair just gets worse!

Poster: A snowHead
andy wrote:
skitow wrote:
There are plenty of ways to play the system and minimise the baggage charges etc. Just do it and get skiing. Very Happy
Rent storage space near GVA, buy skis/board, leave them there Wink Better still - emigrate to near the Alps Wink

Yes, you are right but.........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
back to flybe, most of their flights are Q400 aircraft, the maximum length of baggage that will fit in the hold is alot shorter than your average ski!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skitow wrote:
I must have got something wrong here because in the last year I have taken 5 people from Stansted to Grenoble fo 5 pence, 4 people Liverpool to Grenoble for £10, 3 people Grenoble to East Midlands for £7-50 and I could go on and on. All with Ryanair. Accepted we had hand luggage only but those were the total fares incuding taxes etc. Every flight was on time or early and none of them crashed, which is good enough for me. The chances of me taking 3 children skiing 20 years ago when the fat monopolies such as BA, or whatever they were called then, set the fares to the level they needed, were probably zero. Now, by being flexible and enduring the "horrors of Ryanair" for a whole 1 hour and 15 minutes I can do it, and I am eternally thankful to the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet for making it possible. BA did not. As long there is plenty of competition to prevent Ryanair or Easyjet getting any sort of monopoly, and safety is still regulated to the levels we have now or higher I do not understand what all the moaning is about. There are plenty of ways to play the system and minimise the baggage charges etc. Just do it and get skiing. Very Happy

I could not agree more - I went with Ryanair twice last season and took hold luggage (ski boots, etc). Even with the charge for taking the luggage, the price was still very very good (Edinburgh to Turin return £145 for two people). There were no problems, flights were on time and we both made sure that we were not over the 15kg hold and the 10kg hand allowance. In the past, it would have been impossible to find a direct return flight for that price.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have flown Ryanair loads of times on ski weekeends. Sometimes paid like 20 quid return for a Friday night to Monday night flight. Can see why loads of people hate them for the luggage rip off and why loads of people like them. If you can walk on the plane with a 10kg bag and that is all you have, then you are laughing. I have done it twice where I got my ski boots in my bag with the minimum of clothes for a long weekend. Goggles, hat, base layer and gloves all in my jacket which I wore.

Now that I have my own skis I am thinking twice about using them and am looking at Easyjet or Swiss out of LCY. Thing is my wife got flights to Cork the other day in July to go see her mum... two quid she paid with the Visa Electron card. The train fare to the airport is more!!! So if you can use them and save £££££ then do it. I agree with the previous post about peole now been able to ski once the BA monopoly was broken. When we had the strong pound and cheaper flights two seasons ago you could go skiing every weekend if you wanted!!!! Also the 4 times I have flown Easyjet, none ever left on time, one flight back was cancelled and I was put on a flight to Gatwick instead of Stansted and another we had to wait to the next day!!! Only delays I ever had with Ryanair were at Bergamo... snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

That is if you are really stupid only

Right. That "value comparison" won't fool many of the people who know their way round the different airlines' charges structure. And ask BA what happens if you have one of their cheap tickets and want to change it, or miss your flight by 15 minutes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i booked a return flight from shannon to bristol for €12 (all in).

i know what i'm getting - cattle have more space, i don't get a bag of peanuts or a complimentary 'meal' - i'm getting flown from one country to another and back (which is all i ask) for less than the cost of the petrol i'm going to use getting to the airport.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure if this was already posted in here.

RYAN AIR NO MORE UK EXPANSION/GROWTH

http://news.id.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3401147
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
Not sure if this was already posted in here.

RYAN AIR NO MORE UK EXPANSION/GROWTH

http://news.id.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3401147

What a stupid thing fro them to say:
Quote:

Ryanair "will freeze growth at its nine UK bases with immediate effect," it said in a statement, citing a "tourist tax" of 10 pounds (11.6 euros, 16.5 dollars) per flight on air passengers and what it called the "monopoly" of BAA.

These "have caused the loss of over 4.5 million passengers at the BAA UK airports in the first five months of the year," the Irish airline said.

So what exactly changed about those things that mean they have caused passenger numbers to decrease over the first five months of the year?

Oh yes, BAA are being forced to sell off some of heir airports due to said monoploy.

But both that monopoly and the tax have been in place for years.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynical view: a way to disguise the fact that they do not see any growth happening in the UK for next few month...
Funny how it coincides with job cuts in Ireland and a net loss...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mikey's long had a bee in his bunnet about "monopolies" - granted routes, landing slots etc, and he's the type of guy who bears a grudge and indeed has done some rather odd things in his own business that "strike back" (if only in gesture or in his mind) at these monopolies. Like I said earlier, he really doesnt care! He is about the thickest man (thick ONLY per the Irish definition - Irish folk know Wink) you're ever likely to encounter - very entertaining with it though!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
barry, I don't see how you can say that someone who has run one of the most successful European airlines can be thick.

Don't get me wrong, Ryanair have their faults - some, if not most, very annoying. However, I think we should not lose sight of Ryanair's good points.

They have allowed the masses to travel for business/pleasure at very economical prices. Ok, they do not offer food or drink unless you pay for it and they do, quite a lot of the time, fly to out of the way airports (Paris Beauvais for example) - however, there is a Ryanair bus to take you into the major city/cities. With regards to food and drink, is it really necessary to have something during a 2 or 2½ hour flight. If you really have to eat, have something at the airport before you go on the plane.

I have travelled with Ryanair many times and had some really good bargains (some examples - £22 return to Paris for the weekend, £70 return to Italy for skiing for a week) - I get on the plane, sit down, look out of the window and get vamoosed to where I want to go - objective fulfilled.

O'Leary may be an ar$e but he is a very successful one that has allowed people travel very cheaply and should be recognised for it.

However, I do think that Ryanair will eventually go bust or, at the very least, will get into serious financial trouble as people are getting a bit fed up with all the stupid charges that O'Leary thinks up and implements. People can only be pushed so far.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970,

barry wrote:

Quote:

(thick ONLY per the Irish definition - Irish folk know )

We mean by this a super high level of stubbornness to the point where one will bite ones own nose off to spite their face if needs be. M O' Leary is the prime example of a thick (but not stupid) man.

If he can make most profit by running a flying bus service by reducing overheads who can argue he is a business man. And in terms of offering a cheap no frills service they do this well.
It is a pain in the hole though when you need to carry stuff. If he excludes a valuable customer base then he will suffer if we vote with our visa electron cards and fly with other airlines who serve our needs better.

Most low fair airlines follow O'learys models ultimately, they just seem to make it look like they care about customers it may be good for them in the long run.

If O'Learys ideas are wrong he'll not admit it he'll change it and call it something else.
example "Ryanair will never have fuel surcharges" means Ryanair wont call it fuel surcharges.

In principle paying just for what you need is a good model but excessive charges for extras just takes the wee wee and may bite him yet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RPF wrote:
.....Most low fair airlines follow O'learys models ultimately, they just seem to make it look like they care about customers it may be good for them in the long run....

There is a rough parallel in the hotel industry.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles,

Good find...and very relevant I think...

jb1970, the low cost airline model originated in the US with Southwest Airlines...MOL did not invent it...

And somehow, but that may just be me and because I was flying a lot to the continent in the mid-90s rather than ireland, Easyjet sticks in my mind as the first true low cost model in Europe rather than Ryanair...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Easyjet was established on 18 October 1995 and started operations on 10 November 1995

Quote:
Ryanair was founded in 1985 by Christy Ryan (after whom the company is named),

So Raynair is 10yrs older but The airline began with a 15-seat Embraer Bandeirante turboprop aircraft, flying between Waterford and London Gatwick Airport

Quote:
In 1998, flush with new capital, the airline placed a massive $2 billion order for 45 new Boeing 737-800 series aircraft. The airline launched its website in 2000, with online booking initially said to be a small and unimportant part of the software supporting the site
O'Leary was Deputy Chief Executive of Ryanair between 1991 and 1994. In January 1994 he was promoted to chief executive of Ryanair. Under O'Leary's management, Ryanair further developed the low-cost model originated by Southwest Airlines

so you could say Ryanair expanded to a serious budget player 1998

Quote:
EasyJet, like Ryanair, borrows its business model from American air carrier Southwest. Both airlines have adapted this model for the European market through further cost-cutting measures such as not selling connecting flights or providing complimentary snacks on board. The key points of this business model are high aircraft utilisation, quick turnaround times, charging for extras (such as priority boarding, hold baggage and food) and keeping operating costs low.

While the two airlines share a common business idea, EasyJet's strategy differs from Ryanair's in a number of areas. EasyJet flies mainly to primary airports in the cities that it serves, while Ryanair often chooses secondary airports to reduce costs. For example, EasyJet flies to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and Paris Orly, the primary airports in Paris, while Ryanair flies to the smaller Paris Beauvais Tillé Airport, a 75 minute bus journey from Paris. EasyJet also focuses on attracting business passengers by offering convenient services such as the option to transfer on to an earlier flight for free.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 3-07-09 18:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
I have always been a fan of Easyjet compared to Ryanair. I think they are just a bit less nasty in delivery of a low cost service. I particularly like the free for all to get to the best seats.
snow conditions
My own experience of Ryanair has so far been very positive. I own a couple of apartments in Saalbach so keep all my gear there and consequently take only hand luggage with me. Also I've got myself an Electron card. Last ski season, Ryanair's flights were unbelievably cheap - down to £2.50 each way inclusive on some dates. My sister flew out to Salzburg on New Year's Eve (morning flight) for £5 inclusive. Most times we've flown with them, the flight has arrived early and we've been very impressed with the staff and the whole set-up. I've noticed that next March they are currently offering £5 inclusive flights to and from Salzburg. I'm not working for them or a shareholder - just wanted to put the other side of the coin.
latest report
Quote:
I sometimes think that he just does this for the publicity. It remains to be seen whether this or the toilet thing will actually be implimented.

I agree, O'Leary is genius at getting a headline.
snow conditions
jb1970 wrote:
barryHowever, I do think that Ryanair will eventually go bust or, at the very least, will get into serious financial trouble as people are getting a bit fed up with all the stupid charges that O'Leary thinks up and implements. People can only be pushed so far.

Think it's more likely that he will do something so stupid (even more than normal) that board or shareholders of Ryanair will get rid of him.

Have only been on RA twice and both times were OK. He makes me smile as he seem to be seeing just how far he can push his customers.

Powder Monkey wrote:
I agree, O'Leary is genius at getting a headline.

So was Garald Ratner??
latest report
achilles wrote:
RPF wrote:
.....Most low fair airlines follow O'learys models ultimately, they just seem to make it look like they care about customers it may be good for them in the long run....

There is a rough parallel in the hotel industry.

Interesting read but could be just a comment on London v Manchester customer service.
snow report
Quote:
So was Garald Ratner

Got us all talking though hasn't he. And there seems to be as many staunch defenders of the airline despite the 'negative' publicity. Ryan Air are definately in it for the long haul.
snow conditions
Quote:

Most times we've flown with them, the flight has arrived early and we've been very impressed with the staff and the whole set-up.

The Stansted to Salzburg flight time is quite interesting....
Basically the fight schedule is 15 mins longer than the flight time... I have been on so many of these flights and noticed this pattern - must be a good statistic maker... but that annoying trumpet thing really p's me off!
latest report
I'm loathe to defend Ryan Air but on this point I don't think they are being deceptive since all airlines build extra time into their schedules to account for taxi-ing. The amount of time varies from airport to airport. I think the standard for Stansted is 15 mins.
snow conditions
That makes sense... but I still hate the fake trumpets!
ski holidays
who doesn't? Laughing
ski holidays
that fShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedg song he plays once your locked on board. Its like adding insult to injury.

Listen if you dare
http://youtube.com/v/e9hpdinTTG8
snow report
Catchy. Definite Euro Vision potential. Toofy Grin

I couldn't help checking out this musical wee wee-take on Europe's 'Favourite' Low Cost Airline while I was there: [url]
http://youtube.com/v/iN3UI8hBezo&feature=related [/url] Laughing
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours wrote:
I've noticed that next March they are currently offering £5 inclusive flights to and from Salzburg. I'm not working for them or a shareholder - just wanted to put the other side of the coin.

Inclusive of what ?
I got onto booking flights for next January (off to Kitzbuhel) as soon as they came only. In the end my "0.01p" (both ways) Stansted-Salzburg Flight was costed at £180 with one snowboard and a bag. So a fligght advertised at 2p costed around an extra £179. So booked to Munich with EZY for £120., which was the price advertised from the start..

Same story as usual: if you can travel without bagage, you're fine. If not, it's not the airline for you..even if you travel at odd times...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use Ryanair a lot. But because I have to... they fly closest to my parents Dinard directly from Nottingham. They're also the only operator that flies to Altenburg / Dresden or Leipzig that doesn't mean I have to go to London and I'm there at least once every six weeks.

I had a choice last season of using them skiing, and flew Thomson instead. Far superior, cheaper with excess charges taken into account, and I don't get treated like a marketing opportunity. No I don't want to buy your bloody scratch cards Mr Ryanair, and I'm trying to sleep so naff off!

When Ryanair started I was a huge fan. But slowly they're becoming the same price as the scheduled airlines, and when I can I'll fly Lufthansa or BA.
latest report
If Ryanair ain't in the news each week O'Leary makes sure they are!!! I like the comment
"The company has asked Boeing to look at the possibility of converting its planes or delivering a new fleet with 'vertical seating'"

So can you stand, all geared up, Ski Jacket, Salopettes, 15Kg Back-Pack and your ski's clipped together. Class. Just let the skiers/Boarders in the hold, open it up around
5,000 ft, Ryanair the new PlaneSki experts..................

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Ryanair-Low-Cost-Airline-May-Allow-Passenger-To-Stand-Up-For-Cheaper-Fare/Article/200907115330054?lpos=Business_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15330054_Ryanair%3A_Low_Cost_Airline_May_Allow_Passenger_To_Stand_Up_For_Cheaper_Fare
ski holidays
The man is clearly having a laugh.
latest report
I just booked Stansted-Salzburg. Long weekend in Juanuary 2010 (Thursday morning - Tuesday evening). Paid: £8 both ways with free online checking, no taxes, £10 card fee (could be avoided with Visa Electron).
Thats 18£ now, nearer the time I will book one checked bag for £20.
So it will be 38£ in total.
I can ski half day on arrival and full day on the departure. Did the same in last 2 seasons, 5.5 ski days (tickets always less than £50 all included). Brilliant flight times.

If you keep watching they offers all the time I think there are very good bargains. Specially mid weeks.

Downside will be the charge for ski/snowboard. £60 is way too much Shocked
ski holidays
blytht wrote:
If Ryanair ain't in the news each week O'Leary makes sure they are!!! I like the comment
"The company has asked Boeing to look at the possibility of converting its planes or delivering a new fleet with 'vertical seating'"

So can you stand, all geared up, Ski Jacket, Salopettes, 15Kg Back-Pack and your ski's clipped together. Class. Just let the skiers/Boarders in the hold, open it up around
5,000 ft, Ryanair the new PlaneSki experts..................

If it was April 1st I could see the funny side but surely the safety regime would prevent such a thing ... they even strap people in in military planes!
ski holidays
Quote:

As for M O'Leary and Ryanair, it surprises me that they have any repeat customers. The only people who fly with them are first timers and those with no choice.

After my rants in other posts, I take it all back and disagree with the above!! We haven't flown Ryanair for over a year - mainly on principle due to the exorbitant ski (and bike) carriage charge of £60. However, using the oft quoted snowHead rule of taking notice of only the bottom line, Mrs MA & I are off for some Austrian glacier skiing in November for a bargain £52 each inc ski carriage. Details as follows:

Stansted to Salzburg £12 return including taxes, charges and online check in fee = £24.
Plus £5 per person per flight debit card fee (WTF is that about Puzzled ??) = £20.
Plus x1 ski carriage (2 pairs in one bag) = £60.
Grand total £104.

So it IS still possible to bag a bargain with Ryanair:D. I might even treat the missus to an early Christmas present and buy her a scratchcard on the flight.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/UfIY24BErBE
sometimes he speaks sense Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Whilst ryanair fly form stanstead to salzburg at the crack of dawn.. and back again at 9pm il be using them
snow conditions
I see in the news that they are now planning to maybe try and have standing room only at the back of the plane.

I hope that doesn't happen.
ski holidays
Obviously won't...
latest report
News appears to be breaking that: Budget airline Ryanair is to cut its 2009/10 winter capacity at Stansted airport by 40% Shocked
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, They are in dispute with BAA the airport owners. Probably find some grass strip nearby to land on Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy