Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Carriers for roof bars

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone care to recommend some? It needs to be able to carry at least 1 set of skis and 2 snowboards, I'm looking at the Thule ones at the moment, the 600mm ones are about £60...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't use them. Tie the ski bags and snowboard bags to the bars directly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done that ^^
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, 1400-1800 miles every year thus, for the last 20 years.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, how does that work out travelling through heavy rain on the motorways?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, the bags are double layer 600 denier nylon with a lining inside; they are just fine in rain and the contents don't get wet. I fancy it actually saves a bit of fuel over having the skis out in the air because the profile is smoother and lower, but the savings is too small to clearly show up in the fuel logs.

Once the system is sorted, it also makes for really fast transfer from plane to rental vehicle, without having to spend time unpacking bags and re-stacking snowboards and skis to fit rental racks.

The only problem thus far has been use of rubber bungees at -30C: the load is just as secure, but it takes an incredible amount of fuss to undo rubber ties that have been pre-stretched then frozen solid.

I will grant that there is a moderate security concern, I've been fairly confident with two 5mm steel cables and corresponding locks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got the Thule 727 - great bit of kit. Remember when it says it'll carry x number of skis they're basing this on ye olde skinny skis not today's wider ones, so if in doubt go as big as you can. You're fuel consumption will go up as well - mine dropped from 47mpg to 36!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get a roof box, then you can carry other kit in it as well. More expensive, but there's some good deals on ebay.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scottland, Id go with either Helen Beaumont's, orcomprex's ideas, I saw a pair of skis that were carried home on the roof through bad weather with heavily rusted edges. I'd like a ski carrier for short trips in the resort. A roof box will carry more itemes and free up space in the car and will have a some what aerodynamic shape.

BTW wraping skis in cling film wont keep out the water as it rips off as soon as you get up a bit of speed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get a box.... we use one which houses 6 skis and then can tour around anywhere on a daily basis.

Do it properly... best way to travel, bar none, IMV, if you get the car right.

Looking forward to next year's trip already...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmm, getting a large box that fits onto a Clio might be an issue but I'll look into it Very Happy

It might be easier and cheaper to pickup a weather proof ski bag and strap it down, I need a new bag anyhow...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure about driving all the way to the Alps but one of these is excellent for getting from Chambery to where-ever:

http://www.handirackuk.com/

And much better than those crappy magnetic ones that the car hire places manage to charge a fortune for.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scottland,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45689#1093692

Bought the Thule. No issues, felt incredibly secure. Would recommend.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree it might be an issue, but how the hell do you fit all your luggage in a Clio?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 23-06-09 17:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scottland, Go for the roof box lots of room for other stuff would you like to buy some unused chains i may have some that will fit.
snow report
Roof boxes are great.

But I suspect may bust the £60 budget.

I strap 'em on Shocked with these
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
I agree it might be an issue, but how the hell do you fit all your luggage in a Clio?

Pack light! Very Happy
snow conditions
Looking at buying an set of Thule 727 ski racks for in resort use. Can anyone who owns a set advise how many pairs of average modern skis or snowboards the will hold?

They claim 6 pairs skis (old school) or 4 snowboards. Loading width is 60cm.

Our usual load will be 1 x all mountain ski, 2 x kids skis, 1 x snowboard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CODPVO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KhX-Bb58D723A?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
Used them for years - 4 months a year, work well, but they definitely cost a lot more in gas compared to a roof box.

Thule are the way to go. Had an expensive set of Yakima ones due to fitting issues on my new car, and they fell apart after a year. Pro Rack ones never inspired me with confidence either, so now use a roof box.

Definitely wouldn't strap bags to the bars. Too much hassle for regular use, and having to leave wet bags inside the car all day isn't great.

Re the Thule 727 - 4 snowboards is fine, but it's a fairly tight fit if the boards are wide, so the positioning of the bars may need to be changed to get the clamps over the boards at a narrower point.
ski holidays
Happily using the Thule Snowpack Extender which slides out to one side so it make it easier to load/unload skis/snowboards. The rack goes on the first ski day and stays on all winter as its a bit of a hassle to put on and take off.

I also have a ski box but that only gets used driving to and from resorts or when I need to carry more stuff. I find the Snowpack is more convenient for daily use.

Each have their own advantages/disadvantages. Both will effect your fuel consumption. I don’t really notice which one consumes more as winter driving here in Norway increases my fuel consumption by 20-30% anyway.
snow report
I bought a roof box ..best thing ever ..I can now get 3 pairs skis boots.. helmets... and clothes out of the car ,,as to cost I paid £70 on the bay ...but you have to keep a look out ..how about this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/roof-box/264060962006?hash=item3d7b4284d6:g:vt8AAOSwdzhb~DMQ:rk:31:pf:0
snow report
@Spoon, I ended up buying the Thule 727 which I think is the long running predecessor to the snowpack without the slide. Thiought it was good value at just under £100 for 60cm of loading area and should serve me well for many years.
snow report
why not look at a roof box?
snow report
@Mr.Egg, only for use locally in our valley. 7kms max each way.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy