Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Filzmoos Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thinking of Filzmoos March 6th but concerned about snow.

reviewing history doesn't help. Would anyone recommend going earlier in feb or do you think March 6th gives best of chances.

I was put off that Ingams season only goes until march 20th.

any other Filzmoos info (we have young kids) appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to snowheads, aint been there myself but apparently its got a good snow record for its height so you shouldnt have any problems at that time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Filzmoos is part of the massive SKi-Amade network.
Ski Amade has over 850km of ski pistes available all on one ski pass.
I live 'the other side' to Filzmoos - over a mountain - but about 20min by car.

On your ski pass you will have access to loads of different ski areas but all of them are at least 20min drive from Filzmoos as it is its own little town.
IMO it does a good Christmas and NY holiday for groups but I think that the skiing is pretty limited for intermediate+ skiers.
I know a lot of people who have said they enjoyed it but just wished there was a little more.

BUT... it is great for families, has a well structured lift system and a good snow record.

I am 100% confident that Filzmoos would be open and enjoyable in early March!.... if not then drive to Flachau which is one of the closest larger areas.
I don't tend to go to Filzmoos too much as we have easy access to Radstadt, Zauchenss, Schaldming and Flachau etc etc etc.... much more easier than trailing up to Filzmoos.

Ps... Snow today!! from 1600m!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went to Filzmoos for 4 days in Feb halfterm, when there was masses of snow. Ski-ing is limited - no real black runs, a few red and blue, with several quite long T bars, - had we been there for longer than four days we would definitely have got the bus to Flachau etc. If your children are small there is a lovely big nursery slope in the centre of the village (with the slowest button lift I have ever been on) which is ideal I would think for little ones. At the top of that button if you go down the nursery slope a few metres then turn back across the button track there is a fun track through the trees with little bumps and things for children, also near the bottom of the nursery slope there are some rollers which the kids love for skiing or sledging on. The gondola on the same side of the road as the nursery slope takes you up to the more challenging red runs, and has a nice restaurant at the top, but is not well linked into the lift system - you need to skate/pole some way to get to it from where the nursery slope is. All the cafes/restaurants we tried up the mountain were good, and all very good value compared to France.

There is a leisure centre with a nice but smallish pool, although my children (age 10 and 12 at the time) were the only ones in it early one evening, but some of the hotels also have their own pools. There is a brilliant tobaggan run from the top of the main chair back down to the village, you catch the chair up to the restaurant at the top, go in and pay at their cash desk then they leave the toboggans downstairs by their garage for you, you toboggan down and leave them outside another garage. You can also do that in the evening as part of a trip including a meal at the restaurant. There are also lots of marked walking trails, although we didn't do any walking, plus quite a lot of cross country ski-ing.

Main street of the town is quite busy traffic wise, I didn't think Filzmoos was quite as 'villagey' as I was expecting, but was quite pretty. It is very popular with families with small children, although I thought some of the ski school classes we saw were quite large, but we didn't use any of the (3?) ski schools so I cannot comment on the tuition.

We went independently, I booked a hotel via the local tourist office website and Ryanair flights to Salzburg, with a taxi transfer (again booked through tourist office website). This was great as the transfer is relatively short (about 1 hour) and the taxi driver was a very chatty local lady, with excellent English, who was able to tell us all about the village and the region. Ideal for travelling with children as well, as there are no long mountain roads with lots of hairpins to negotiate.

Hope this is useful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
this is very useful feedback but now I am thinking about Flachau as opposed to Filzmoos.

anyone want to convince me to stay on Filzmoos?

anybody know about the Unterhof Hotel in Filzmoos or the Tierlohof in Flachau?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

anyone want to convince me to stay on Filzmoos?

I can't...!

Flachau is good and much more of a party type of town (home of Dj Otzy and The Herminator...)
Well linked runs and a good lift system... can ski off the back to Wagrain and get a shuttle ski bus to explore the graffenberg lift...

Accommodation is a little more than neighbouring areas (such as Wagrain, Altenmarkt and Radstadt).

A ski bus can also take you up to Flachau Winkl (which is an awesome family area with good off piste opportunities and 1 of only 5 of the World's Burton 'Stash' parks).
Flachau Winkl also joins with Zauchensee (which is a fantastic area and good for families with stacks and stacks of off piste!). Zauchensee is the home of Michi Walchofer... he has a hotel and a ski school up there.
From Zauchensee you can get ski busses to Altenmarkt/Radstadt which is a great little mountain - but I am a little bias!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy