Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko, anyone heading over this coming season?

Poster: A snowHead
sparkzter, Laughing Laughing The thought did cross my mind Sad so we have arranged a Guide on stand-by to take us to Kokusai or Rusutsu or Teinei Highlands just incase you had!! Very Happy Toofy Grin Very Happy snowHead Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good work!! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sparkzter, I'll know my dates for sure late November, I will be checking back in here lots. I can't remember who it was with but I found Glasgow--> Sapporo for £630 (that was the 20th-30th though)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Be warned, everytime I look at flight prices they have gone up!
I'm booking my flights tomorrow - multi stop with JAL was 678.
Thats from Edinburgh - London - Tokyo (2 night stop over) - Sapporo.
Return - Sapporo - Tokyo - London - Edinburgh.
I just need to look into ski carriage etc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To all Japanners- a little point to note - take a VERY careful look into the cost of ski carriage and excess baggage with any of the Airlines you choose – for example JAL initially wanted a huge amount (somthing like £290 return for 10kg ontop of the standard free 20kg) Shocked , however our independent travel agent negotiated the cost for a total of 30kgs down to nothing. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scootsman1, I think the JAL siteis a bit misleading. But it seems to read that they charge skis as an overweight item - but to a max of about £30 each way (IIRC).

But you got it for nowt? Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I called JAL as i was a bit worried about this.

Basically -

You can take up to 28k of luggage including skis - they charge £48.00 per kilo if you are over and thats just the flight to Tokyo, you then get charged from Tokyo
to Sapporo (less than £48.00 per kilo). Then you have the joy of paying it all again in the way home! Good eh?

I ski and snowboard so I'm gonna rent one of them out there, staying at the Black diamond lodge and they have told me they have good kit for rental.

Even still 28k isn't a lot when you are going on a ski trip, looks like I'll be wearing a lot on the flight!! Boots in hand luggage??
Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like flying JAL is out of the question Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
By the way, with JAL its 20 kilos in check in luggage and 6 - 8 kilos in hand luggage. What a nightmare.

I'm seriously considering hiring kit out there.

I was gonna take my skis and snowboard. Do you think I would get away with wearing my snowboard boots on the flight?
I would just take them off as soon as i got on and stick a pair of flip flops on.
Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have any of you guys tried calling Japan Ski Experience to see what they can do? Puzzled ......ask for Lindsay snowHead snowHead snowHead Oh yes and don't forget to mention that you are a snowHead! Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 19-08-09 8:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, I hope you are right Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure how to post just a word to link you to this video so just posted the address - truly awsome!
http://youtube.com/v/AFJNuR1TsTY Razz Enjoy Japanners!! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scootsman1, me too. I just logged onto the JAL site to cut and paste onto here - and they've changed it!!

Now reads somthing like; Airfare x 1.5% x 6 = Ski carry charge Confused

Think I'll wait to see what comes in from WSA.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll be out all season (my 4th). PM when you're around. If I'm free I'm happy to make some turns. If not, drinkning is always an option Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice one Mike,

We will def be on touch and you can show us around a bit if you would like!

We are having real issues with baggage allowance, are we able to hire decent kit out there?

We are all using twin all mountain skis (K2 seths, Fujas etc) and snowboards.

Ta

Mark Very Happy
snow report
Hey mark lol I made a post the other day got sent to this one guess your trying to find flight info out too!!

Chris
snow conditions
Niseko-

Hirafubackpackers.com

check it out, plenty road trips happening, good value Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I have now managed to secure a job in Niseko for the whole season!

Flights booked, visa sorted, powder skis packed. can't wait!!

Will be good to see a few of you out there for the coming season, let me know when your heading out and we can have a blast around the mountain and a few brews.
snow conditions
Elliot_Simcock, Too Kool!!!!! Going green What are you going to be doing there? Apert from the obvious....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 31-10-09 0:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Elliot_Simcock, Nice one. Hope you have an awesome season keep us all posted.

What kind of work have you got and do you speak Japanese?
snow report
I'm ski instructing. I don't speak Japanese but the resort has alot of English speaking tourists so there is a reasonably high demand for English speaking instructors.

I'll probs make a separate thread and keep it updated throughout the season.
snow conditions
Elliot_Simcock, I'll look forward to that, I'll be over with a select band of snowHeads in Feb.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, great, keep in touch.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Elliot_Simcock, I'll look forward to that, I'll be over with a select band of snowHeads in Feb.

..and so say all of us! Laughing
snow report
Good work Elliot,
We'll come and look you up when we get out there in January, look forward to your thread, keep us updated as much as you can!!
Very Happy
snow report
No problem hiring skis and boards. All new and suitable for the conditions.

Not heading back unfortunately. Home for the winter looking after my folks.

Enjoy everyone. You will not regret it.
snow conditions
Here's a wee taster for us Japanners... http://gcp.smugmug.com/Other/First-Runs-Hirafu-Nov-3rd/10190344_hytTN#701729565_NQkHd snowHead
ski holidays
Here's the thread to follow this winter for Niseko and other resorts on Hokkaido, courtesy of my mate Glen Claydon.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/334531/Snow_to_village_Niseko_in_abse.html#Post334531
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elliot_Simcock, Hey Elliot, sounds fun! How did you get the job? Have you taught in Japan before?

A friend of mine worked in Japan once before - she had classes of 30+ Japanese kids who didn't speak a word of English! SHe learnt a few phrases "follow me" , "stop" "copy me" etc, and skied in long snakes!
snow report
beanie1, i have never been to Japan before. i'm awaiting a large culture shock.

I email around a few English speaking schools. I'm mainly doing private lessons for English speaking clients, introduction to powder all the way through to the higher end. my max "class" size at the moment is 4. For December i'm busy nearly everyday with lessons.
ski holidays
Elliot_Simcock, sounds awesome! I think my friend was actually employed by one ski school and did group lessons for local school kids, hence the large class sizes.

Do you know what nationalities you'll be teaching? The learning culture is so so different here in HK / China. It's very teacher led, command style - in schools the kids are used to rote learning. A friend of mine is an English teacher and one of her classes is debate - in UK schools that would be an easy class with a bunch of teenagers, but it's hard here, as they don't like to challenge the status quo.

I guess though that you might get a lot of Aussies and Kiwis?
snow conditions
Who you working with Elliot?
snow report
beanie1, ermm from what i can see there are a mixture of nationalities i will be teaching, some Japanese, Norwegians & Aussies. I only know English and french so i presume they'll want there lessons in English....

Mike Pow, Trevor @ Pro-Powder. I'm sure you know him and the company far better than i do. If you have any words of advice I'd be happy to listen....
latest report
Good guy.

You'll have a great time.
ski holidays
Good on-the-spot reports here >niseko now< if you want to watch the conditions develop Smile

Quote:
Monday 7th December 2009, 8:42AM

Weather conditions: snow storm
New snowfall: 15-20cm
Snow depth: Village - 10cm Top - 60cm
After a night of wind and rain, God's dandruff began to fall once more upon the shoulders of Mt. Niseko-Annupuri and its surrounding villages early yesterday evening, and has continued into today. A quick whip-around the office has pulled an average 'at-village' new snow depth of 16cm's, which should be a great area-wide morale booster.

Conditions have been blustery this morning, starting to calm down a bit at the village level. But on the mountain we'll be experiencing very low visibility all day; such is the price of powder. The present system will be bringing the goods all day today, and its tail should be marked by periods of snow tomorrow as well.

Expect there to be a few more punters hitting the slopes today than the average for the past couple of weeks. But certainly, with the waves of holiday-makers yet to descend upon the area in full force, the lift-lines will not provide any obstacles
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy