Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the Punisher and Marker Duke a good choice ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I need some advice please. I have the chance to get a good deal on a set of 172 cm Scot Punishers with Marker Duke bindings.

As I read the marketing blurb they both seem to be the best thing since sliced bread, so I need some unbiased reviews.

I got the skiing bug two winters ago, and have used all my holidays since then skiing. The last trip I did was with a snowboarding mate who did a lot of off piste boarding , but I found it difficult to follow him on my hired piste skis (I think they were streetracers).

As having two unwaged snowboarding children to support I don`t have much money left to spend on myself so I am trying to get a summer sale ski that will do the following;

1,Allow me to ski on piste with my children at Febuary half term (I dread the living hell at the airport) Sad

2, Allow me to go off piste with my snowboarding mate in mountain lift served areas.

3, Allow me to go on hut to hut trips with my ski mountaineering mates.

4, Will my salomon impact 8 ski boots, and Scarpa ski mountaineering (not yet bought) boots both fit into the Marker Duke bindings?

I know its a lot to ask from one set of skis, Will these 172 cm Punishers and Dukes fit the bill?.

I am 172 cm tall and wiegh about 70 kg.

If anybody can suggest an alternative skis/bindings package they must cost in the region of £450, and be available to buy now.

Thanks for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep - largely the answer it seems to your questions

Dukes are a bit heavy for hut to hut touring - dynafits seems to be the common suggestion

& most people would probably say a twin tip is a bit of a pain with skins

But overall fits the bill - is 172 long enough for you as twin tips ski short?

I can sell you some brand new unmounted K2 Seths 189 for about £200 if you can find an alternate binding wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, .Thanks for the reply, that's very helpful. I just read somewhere that the Dukes have a bigger footprint on the ski, therefore perform better. This might compensate for the extra weight, but then again weight is everything when you are slogging up hills allday Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bargainbill, The bindings alone will account for about £250 and last year stocks ran out pretty quick...

FWIW I don't think 172 is long enough for the Punisher TT for the reason fatbob mentions and i don't think it is a hut to hut rig at 89mm waist and the weight of the Dukes. It depends who you are skiing with and how fit you are.
The Dukes will take both vibram and ISO soles on boots

But, since, it doesn't appear that you have been skiing too long AND you want an awful lot of bases covered, I'd say you are around 85% there in your thinking...the touring element being the bit that you will do least/last and might need a rethink later.. Most here, suggest 1 hr uphill is the limit of Dukes as Fr+ and Dynafits cover that better. Once you spend more time going uphill than you do coming down, then you might want a set-up that caters for that..and weight and width might be issues here...

But the Dukes will still sell and the skis aren't stiffs either...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another reason for a longer lenght would be that dukes have a big stiff solid plate which dominates the middle of a ski.... and you might find a 177 or so...if there is such a lenght...might be more plaiable than the 172, odd as that seems...

defo not a 172 IMV... unless you have done less than 10 weeks skiing...and even then..???
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the chance to get the punisher/duke set up as a sale bargain, but if there is such a down side with length and weight I will have to have a re-think.

The K2 seths that fatbob, mentions sounds a great ski, but at 189 may be a bit too long for me to do kick turns.

Whats your opinion about the Scott mission with FR+ ?
I can`t get these in a sale but if they are good compromise for my list of requirements I will have to save up a bit more and get them in October.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have some Punishers in 172, and I'm shorter than you, and they ski fine. I weigh less than you as well, but not too much less. The waist of the 172 is 85, not 89. They are quite a forgiving ride for me, but I have a few years skiing on you. For you I reckon the ski will be a PITA to fit skins on, so if you really want this ski, decide to do lift served off piste until you want a full touring setup. I would suggest that a moderately stiff Freerando boot would suit the Punishers at your weight. I use an alpine boot, and alpine bindings.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, Thanks for the advice. After this thread I have a lot more information of the punisher/duke bargain I was thinking of getting.

I think I will look for a 50/50 piste, off piste ski with alpine bindings, and hire touring skis untill untill I see something I like and can afford.

perhaps the Scott Neo, but there seems to be possible issue with delamination I read from the threads.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy