Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 10 snowboarding resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting article for you boarders.

Gemma Bowes from Observer Escape (article from the Guardian) selects her top ten resorts for snowboarding:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2006/nov/30/wintersportsholidays.snowboarding.top10
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting list. Good report on St Anton. it's not a boarder resort as such but the skiers have a great vibe going on there and the terrain is fantastic. It's definatley the best apres and party resort I have visited by a country mile. It was mental. It slays Verbier. Verbier off piste was awesome admittedly, but the town atmosphere and pisted runs I thought were very average.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a cr@p list. Only one Canadian hill, and wait for it.........................Banff!

Ms Bowes is either not very well travelled, not much of a boarder, or on drugs.

Cr@p, cr@p, cr@p................

John.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree. Total cr@p. Just a list of famous resorts (and largely one per country to keep it PC) she has heard of or seen in a neilson brochure.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Since Gemma Bowes' list is complete cr@p can we have genuine recommendations for the top 10 snowboard resorts in the world. There are more than enough snowHead to validate it and it would be very useful for nubs like me who are just venturing out into different resorts. If everyone picks their fav and add some spiel about it then we can compile a snowHead Top Ten Snowboard Resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gainz, Ok then, Whistler. Fantastic hills, well laid out over two mountains (will be connected by cable soon), great apres esp. Longhorn Bar, and you can buy an 8oz steak and half a lobster for £12!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my 2 cents (or suggestions/

fernie - great terrain and good snow.
tignes - great off piste.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the top 10 snowboard resorts

What exactly is a "snowboard resort" anyway? They're all ski resorts, and if you want to board, ski, telemark, monoski etc when you're there it's up to you (except for Alta and a couple of others). I suppose some of the boarders on here are still stuck in the early 90s and want to present it as a separate parallel universe to skiing, where Leysin is the world's best resort!

As usual with ski "journalism" it is mostly resort PR marketing fluff. The list was fine, only Ruka was an unusual choice. Only 2 or 3 of them would be in my top ten, but we could all state our top 10 resorts and have other people disagree so I'm not going to get angry about it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My top ten snowboardboard resorts would be any that alllowed me to board the whole area without the use of a button/t-bar and didn't need me to take my board off and walk across flatter/uphill parts that my brothers can ski across easier!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plake wrote:
Quote:

the top 10 snowboard resorts

What exactly is a "snowboard resort" anyway? They're all ski resorts, and if you want to board, ski, telemark, monoski etc when you're there it's up to you (except for Alta and a couple of others). I suppose some of the boarders on here are still stuck in the early 90s and want to present it as a separate parallel universe to skiing, where Leysin is the world's best resort!

As usual with ski "journalism" it is mostly resort PR marketing fluff. The list was fine, only Ruka was an unusual choice. Only 2 or 3 of them would be in my top ten, but we could all state our top 10 resorts and have other people disagree so I'm not going to get angry about it.

I do both. I ski when there hasn't been fresh powder and board when there has.

It's the best of both world's and I think more people should do it.

Whilst I think boarding is great, I think those that do it with their pants tied up halfway between the waist and knees shpould be shot!

Or at the very least be made to wear braces!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I do both. I ski when there hasn't been fresh powder and board when there has.

It's the best of both world's and I think more people should do it.

Agree 100%. I ski and board and love both, though funnily enough I do them the other way round - when there's good conditions off-piste I ski because a) I'm better! and b) skis are more versatile for traversing and hacking around. And I often board when just pottering around on-piste if conditions are mediocre because it spices up a day which on skis would be boring.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone ever boarded at Bardonecchia, the park there looks awesome? We are staying about half hours drive from there and might take a day trip.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My top 10:

Chamonix (France)
Serre Chevalier (France)
St Anton/Lech/Zurs (Austria)
Sainte Foy (France)
Fernie (Canada)
Nevis Range (Scotland) - not joking, some of my best days ever, no question. If you haven't dropped off the back right after a fresh dump, you haven't lived!
Laax/Flims (Switzerland)
Cauterets (French Pyrenees)
Passo Tonale (Italy) - probably not highly rated by many, but the backcountry runs on the glacier side of the road are epic and bewilderingly untouched.
Treble Cone (New Zealand)

Been to plenty of other well-known "megastations". All too busy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My mate, who has instructed all of his adult life, rates Treble Cone above anywhere.

I'm about to book 12 days in Tignes, so hope Gemma was right about that but I'm trying to think of somewhere that isn't good for snowboarding.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Impossible to do, horses for courses Wink
ski holidays
mine would be

La Grave
Mt Baker (USA)
Kicking Horse
Flaine
Chamonix
Valdisere/Tignes
Termas de Chillan (Chile)
Champex Lac (switzerland)
Powder Mountain (Utah)
Valhalla Powdercats (Canada) not strictly a resort!
latest report
stevomcd, sorry mate, i know you are biased to St Foy, but no way is it a top ten resort, great for a days off piste or even a few, but not a top ten contender. But then as they say "in the eyes of the beholder", so everyone to there own.

For me off the cuff.

Les Arcs (Paradiski) France
Tignes (Espace killy) France
La Grave France
Val Thorens (3 valleys) France
Chamonix France
Jungfrau (Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren) Switzerland
Verbier (4 valleys) Switzerland
Whistler Canada
Fernie Canada
St Anton/Lech/Zurs Austria

Guess at the end of the day it is all about where you had the best conditions when you were there.

What other places have people had a great time?
latest report
Unfortunately I cannot compile a top 10 but Bansko last March was fantastic. I am going to Les Arcs for NYE and Tignes in March again. It will be interesting to see how far behind Bansko is to established super resorts.
snow report
I will first off admit to being predominantly a skier, but I do board from time to time. That said....

...Laax/Flims is awesome to board in.

Interesting that Zermatt came up in her list, I've only ever skiied there, but never had any urge to board, unlike at Flims.
snow report
In no particular order:
La Grave for definite, it should probably be in everyone's top 3
L2A
Alpe d'Huez
Serre Che
Paradiski
Espace Killy

I'm not going to put anymore than that, I think they're a level above other places I've been. I imagine the 4 valleys will make it in pretty soon though. As would other places I haven't been yet.
latest report
Quote:

stevomcd, sorry mate, i know you are biased to St Foy, but no way is it a top ten resort, great for a days off piste or even a few, but not a top ten contender. But then as they say "in the eyes of the beholder", so everyone to there own.

Like you say, eye of the beholder. Every time I go to Tignes or Les Arcs or wherever, I just want to leave. Some good terrain, but just too many people. Miles and miles of dull-dull-dull too. I make an exception to the overpopulation rule for Chamonix, but nowhere else.

I'd rather have my days and days of untouched freshies here, plus the terrain here is sick. I've lived here 3 years and still find new lines all the time. Steeps, couloirs, trees, rock drops everywhere. And that's what makes it a top 10 resort.
latest report
There's nothing to see here.
Please proceed to Whistler or Colorado or Utah.
That is all. Cool
ski holidays
how can they list snowboarding resorts and not give mayerhoffen a mention, its hands down the best park in europe Sad

L2A's park in summer is just epic as well and well worth a mention.

As for Risoul at number 9, I thought the place as un inspiring as a tin of cold beans Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy