Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - November 21

Poster: A snowHead
Any other snowHead going to be in Tignes for the week 21-28 of November Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think we arrive on night of the 27th Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rich.ll, looking like I will be there too. Very Happy
I found a preseason course with a ski school I used before in Le Grand Massif (ZigZag) my experience with them, although just a 2 hour private lesson, was really good and it did a lot for my skiing.
5Days instruction @ €280, good inclusive deals on accomodation and lift pass (€40/50 pppn) and that it is en route (not the direct route I know) for me heading to Verbier for Dec 1st makes this a no brainer for me.

Heres the details if anyone else is interested http://www.zigzagski.com/pages-english/news.php?id=86
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RPF, Might meet up there (if we don't meet at Tamworth between now and then).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rich.ll, Excellent. I'll let you know next time I'm headin to the fridge. Ill probably do a Wednesday Friday or weekend night soon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been trying to book the course but can't get an email reply from ZigZag... If I can get this booked does anyone have recommendations for accommodation/transfers? The Mountainsun places are full and I don't fancy a hostel much...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dinomartino, I got an email from ZigZag, they were on holidays for a week so hope fully will get back to us soon. They said there were spaces though.
I will probably do the hostel option as per the website. But if I see anything else I'll post it here. I'm sure it will be possible to get something. The inclusive lift pass is attractive for me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RPF thanks - I just received a text back and they do have places. I should get some more info tonight. Its hard to make flights etc work from Scotland at that time of year so I may be around for a couple extra days to try my new skills... I guess the hostel could work for me too but I'm a bit too spoilt these days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dinomartino, How much are you looking to spend ? There are other hotels open at that time of year but they won't be quite as cheap as the Mountainsun deal.

I skied with Jenny for a couple of days in Tignes two seasons ago, she is a good coach.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs cheap is good but if I don't get decent food and wine i get really grumpy... A couple hundred quid for the week half-board would be cool but I'd rather pay more for a good place than save a few quid and feel obliged to eat out every night. I guess the hostel would also be ok so long as the catering was good but four to a room sounds a bit grim.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh. And is Jenny one of the ZigZag coaches?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dinomartino wrote:
Oh. And is Jenny one of the ZigZag coaches?

Yeah she is one of the founders of ZigZag and ex-French team and world ranked Slalom Racer.

I dont know her but as mentioned above have had good experience with ZigZag in Morillion earlier this year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RPF thanks for the recommendation.

Just have to sort the accommodation now. Most of it seems to start the week after I leave. Grrr!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dinomartino,
I have also mailed http://www.chaletchardons.com/index.html
briefly reviewd here by Bobblehead
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1237950&highlight=chaletchardons+tignes#1237950
Might be bordering on Hostel though Shocked

Also worth a look is http://www.hotel-ledome-tignes.com/index-en.php
I have no more info on it but it looks nice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RPF don't fancy the chances of a good nights sleep at chardon but looks like a laugh. Might give the Dome a shout and see if they will do a deal for the week...
ski holidays
I'll be in Tignes that week with SnoWorks attempting not to break anything.
ski holidays
CSki wrote:
I'll be in Tignes that week with SnoWorks attempting not to break anything.

Other than personal best wink
Did you get any season accomodation sorted?
snow conditions
dinomartino wrote:
RPF don't fancy the chances of a good nights sleep at chardon but looks like a laugh. Might give the Dome a shout and see if they will do a deal for the week...

Hi dinomartin, if you pm me i can quote you if of interest, we are open then and in le Lac
snow conditions
RPF, I'll have to set a PB first! Eeek!
I think I might have done, should mean I'll be driving to Tignes so I may have a spare seat for the trip out for anyone travelling that weekend.
latest report
RPF, It looks like ZigZag might be trying to arrange some accommodation for this. I probably won't find out for a bit but I have put out some feelers elsewhere. Joanne at Mountainsun still has availability earlier in November so my fallback is to try the TDC coaching offered alongside the Ski & Board Camp and stay at Les Melezes.
latest report
CSki, I'm with Snoworks that week as well.
ski holidays
RPF, You are right about the main chardons hotel being a bit like a hostel ... if you are put in there then I really wouldn't want to say you will get any sleep at all, but out of full season it will probably be ok !!! Not sure what the rooms were like tho ...
We were put in a sister hotel and that was ok as long as you had a few alcoholic beverages during the night Laughing Considering I'm no longer in my 20's I was very proud with myself with keeping up with the rest of them .... Embarassed
latest report
bobblehat, which hotel were you in? I was looking at Hattiers thinking it might be a bit less party animalistic... I am aiming for one-glass-of-wine-too-many rather than hard liquor and naked snow angels...
ski holidays
If you guys are thinking about staying in the Chardon/Hattiers you will need some transport as their are no connecting buses from Les Breviers.
snow report
stewart woodward, thanks for a very useful bit of info... Reckon I'll wait and see what zigzag come up with in that case!
snow conditions
dinomartino, I think I'll do the same. I cant do earlier as I'm not coming back. I'll have a car with me so can drive between areas but would prefer to be near the slopes.
I am on a bit of a budget though as I'll have to make my money last for the season rather than blow it on lobster and caviar the week before but some level of civilisation and some sleep.
I could handle the naked snowAngels just don't know if I could listen to em Shocked

Cheers for the info bobblehat, stewart woodward,

stewart woodward, do you have any accomodation that may be of use to us (just noticed your signature line (or whatever the bottom of post is called)) ?

Looks like there will be a few of us out there.
snow conditions
dinomartino, Maybe ask ZigZag where they will be doing any video reviews after skiing, if it is going to be in Les Melezes then I guess it could be worth staying elsewhere in Les Boisses but if not then I would want to be a bit nearer the glacier.
ski holidays
RPF,
Quote:

I cant do earlier as I'm not coming back

I imagine you disappearing into the mist, your scarf blowing in the wind, while the grateful townspeople weep softly....

I reckon anywhere you can't walk to the lift in ski boots is too far. Likewise I'm not looking for lobster but I'll be buggered if I'm going to travel from Scotland to eat crap food in France...

rjs, I like the way you think... Local knowledge much appreciated. Think I'd better get a map....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I imagine you disappearing into the mist, your scarf blowing in the wind, while the grateful townspeople weep softly....

Laughing Laughing

If its disappearing into a whiteout I'll be happy enough Little Angel
snow report
I will be in Val d'Isere from 22 - 29 November doing a course in Tignes with Topski. The main drawback is having to get up really early the whole week as the coach to Tignes leaves at something like 8:00 every morning so coming back to work will feel like having a lie in...
latest report
schneeflocke, Hopefully we can catch up so. Have you recovered from Hemel on Monday?

Looking like a few snowHead's will be there so. How many constitutes a Bash? wink
latest report
Yes fully recovered - in fact the intro to race training was very effective in killing off the sore muscles from the ill-advised "learn to snowboard in a day" plus no snow absolutely everywhere...

Really looking forward to end of November. Still don't know where exactly where I am going to stay in Val as the organiser just informs you of that nearer the time (I guess that is where the money saving comes in).
latest report
RPF wrote:
dinomartino,
I have also mailed http://www.chaletchardons.com/index.html
briefly reviewd here by Bobblehead
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1237950&highlight=chaletchardons+tignes#1237950
Might be bordering on Hostel though Shocked

I was out last year pre-sesaon and Chalet Chardons wasn't open until the lifts opened in Les Brevs which was 13th Dec or similar.

I stayed at the Alpaka which was great.
latest report
bertie bassett, Good to know cheers. Have you any plans to do another season? You could get your memoirs from last year published and retire on the royalties wink
Chardons got back to me and are not open that early.
I PM'd Alpaka and they have given me a good offer half board with liftpass.
ZigZag are finalising details at the moment so I'm going to see what they come up with on the accomodation front and then decide. But they are holding me a place at the hostel so I'm not going to find myself with a ski course and no lodgings due to indecission wink Although I'd like to finalise it all asap.
snow report
RPF, It looks like ZigZag are only offering accommodation at the hostel but Louise recommended either Le Dome (opposite Le Meleze) or Le Marais (next door to Le Meleze). Any idea how far Alpaka is from the Hostel and Le Meleze? I have a price for a single at Alpaka but its more than I want to spend on a pre-season trip. Have now asked for options to get the price down...

Has anyone stayed at the hostel in Les Boisses? I'm assuming that it is the Youth Hostel Les Clarines... My party animal days are behind me so I'm more concerned with the important stuff like quality of food / wine, plenty of running water and the possibility to pass out early without thumping bass from downstairs... If it's ok I'm starting to think that the hostel is the best option as it seems that the cost is little more than the lift pass on its own and the coaches and other pros will be staying there and running the video analysis there in the evenings.
latest report
dinomartino, The Alpaka is in Tignes Le Lac, Google maps show it as 3.2km to Les Boisses, probably takes 10 minutes including walking to the carpark.
ski holidays
From what I can see that hostel gets good reviews (except by one Vegetarian) but as Frankie Boyle says "yes there is a vegatarian option, you can f*** off" Laughing dinomartino, your not vegatarian are you wink . Same review complained about noise But they did stay over new years. They sound like they're craic! They did acknowledge the meals looked good for non-vegies.

All in all it means 5 full days coaching lift pass and 6 nights half board (albeit a hostel) for about €520 all you got to do is get there. I might go all out and get a 6 day pass so I can consolidate my bad habits before the coaching starts NehNeh .

Decission made for me.
ski holidays
RPF, I saw that review as well. Luckily I am a recently reformed vegetarian with a vegetarian partner, which means that I tend to fill my face with dead animals when on holiday anyway even though my body now regards meat as a poison... I'm more concerned about the amount of cheese I may be forced to ingest if the kitchen is in alpine mode Shocked

I'm gonna take advantage of the Sleazyjet sale and book it tonight, staying at the hostel. Woohoo!

I just need to sort transfers from Geneva now - hopefully some of the companies will be operating that early in the season. My flights are in and out in the morning so wouldn't fit with the Mountainsun schedule either...

There are no flights to/from Edinburgh on Saturdays so I'll be consolidating my good habits on the following Saturday and flying in and out on the Sunday. But if I can get to Tignes in good time I'll try to at least get an hour or two on the slopes on the first Sunday to remember how to ski...
snow conditions
dinomartino, Great news should be a good week.
I'll have the car with me so may be able to get you back to Geneva or to a suitable train station. EmaP may be with me so I cant make any promises yet but check out the trains and check back with me before you book any transfers wink. I'm not due in Verbier until Dec1 so may spend another day or 2 at Tignes or somewhere enroute.

Just as well you went back on the meat. Your lucky enough to be top of the food chain so enjoy it Toofy Grin

We are going skiing Woooooohoooooo.
Summer is over Madeye-Smiley (both days of it)
latest report
RPF, woooooooohoooooo! We ARE going skiing!!!

Thanks for the generous offer of transport. I'll see what is available and give you a shout re the return trip but I reckon it would have to be at the crack of dawn for me to be on a plane at 11:50.

But if you are around on Saturday 28th I'll be up for a race down the glacier. If I can still stand up... And if I get drunk enough I may even regale you with the sorry tale of how I became a vegetarian Embarassed

Don't know about you but up here we count any days without horizontal sleet as "summer"....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy