Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Mileage Costs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So far I always drive to ski regardless of the location of the resort and the country. Done 10 countries and still managed to drive in Sweden, Norway, Canada and Iran.

To be fair the true cost will be higher simply because one needs a decent car (reliable, well maintained, good tyres etc) for a typical 2500 to 3500 miles journey to the Alpes. My case is even worse because I run a full fledged 4x4. I am one of the minority in thinking a 4x4 is not made for doing school runs but can be a proper equipment for a UK skier. I suppose driving is similar to having own skis and boots instead of hiring. Some people prefer to wear their own boots and have the exact knowledge how sharp the ski edges are.

I drove mainly because of the convenience. I stay off the resort and so the accommodation cost is lower and the choice of food is better. I even carry a collapsible chair for the wife to sit on just for changing her ski boots. Full set of gears, clothing and equipment are available but to be selectively carried to suit the resort and prevailing weather condition.

If one hits the resort reasonably early, say before 10am then free parking is usually not a problem. France and Switzerland resorts often charge parking fees in open car parks whereas some Austrian resorts allows free parking inside covered multi storey car parks (free with the a ski pass). In my 2004 Chritmas/New year trip to Tarentaise I visited all the resorts and only paid parking once in Tignes' Val Claret.

From reading this forum I now realise that one great advantage of driving to the resort is the opportunity to visit as many neighbouring resorts as one wishes. For several years I have not exhausted the option of skiing one resort per day yet.

Another advantage is that skiers with car can explore a big resort better. For example I parked at Courchevel, Meribel and Val Thoren during the 3 days visit to the 3 Vallees. Without a car then each day I have to ski some runs repeatedly each day just to get in and out. Therefore it would be impossible for me to start from Courchevel 1650 and be able to explore Val Thoren/Orelle fully because the distance is too long.

As I drive to every resort my memory of the resort is definitely stronger and more satisfying than being driven to there. It is a personal choice for me and I wouldn't have it the other way unless it is impractical for me to go with a car. Many European skiers drive to ski. Packaged skiing holiday is OK but by driving I can see more, eat more variety of food, ski more resorts and find better snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy