Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowbird or Revelstoke/Kicking Horse

Poster: A snowHead
For a 10 day snowboarding trip this winter opinions please Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done Kicking horse and Snowbird. How good are you? Are you of the "All the gear no idea" brigade, the "I havsn;t fallen yet so I must be really good", or the "well, I **** scared of hurting myself so I think I'll stick to the easy piste" faction?

Lifts are limited at KH to say the least, and AIUI its like that at revelstoke. The accessible terrain though is pretty good in the right conditions, although some hiking may be required to access the very best of stuff - but then it's like that anywhere, if it's easy to get to it's tracke out pretty quickly

Snowbird was good, best on-mountain food I've had in North America, some good terrain, and easy access to the neighbouring resort Alta (for skiiers only - they don;t allow boarders) and to Brighton and Solitude in the next valley.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both options fun - assume you'll have a car for the Revy/KH option. Only problem with Snowbird is that you'll have to ski to do Alta as well but there are lots of other places around SLC to ride. Snowbird busier at weekends. Really depends on where gets the most snow at the tiem you are planning.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, I'm not necessarily good but I am confident. The steeper and deeper the better. Willing to hike to score the best snow. Not interested in piste riding.

fatbob, we'll be travelling early Jan so not sure which resort is likely to have the better snow then. Lack of crowds is very very important for me so I guess that's a tick in the Revelstoke/KH box. But I've heard lifts there close at 3pm???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hd, lifts close around 3pm in most NA resorts, but they open around 8.30: you;re not really expected to stop for a long "fine dining" lunch.

Either will be goo. Snowbird will give you easier access to other resorts and attractions (we went to watcha Utah Jazz game one night in the city), KH and revelstoke will have fresher, more "unfinished" approach as they're relatively new resorts. The Eagle Eye restaurant at the top of KH does very good food and you can take the gondola up in the evening
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hd, You wont get away with confident at Kicking horse to really enjoy it. You need to be good and better to get the most out of the resort. 3 lifts and some serious terrain both in and out of bounds. Limited nightlife though and golden is not much to write home about.

Great Resort though and the Eagle Eye is great value for lunch and does plenty of special Wine/Beer tasting nights. Lifts at Kicking horse are open till 4 from mid Feb On as far as I can remember
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Confident & unpiste motivated will probably be ok though stuff like the traverse along the ride form the top of Stairway at KH are a pain on a board unless you're expert at holding a traverse over rocks and stumps. Be a bit wary with the treewells in Revy too. However togther they have some of the best inbounds terrain anywhere in the world IMO.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hd, Revelstoke lifts ran from 8.30 until 3pm until Jan 31st, after that until 3.30pm last season. One reason for this would have been poor ligh tand the fact Piste Patrol must sweep the whole area for tourists Toofy Grin If you got the last lift up at 3.30 its still going to take a while to get down Cool Theres plenty of terrain especially if you like the trees and a little hiking for some good stuff.

The mountain's not that developed as yet which adds to its appeal for us, as its easy to see it become one of the large developed resorts in later years. The town has its own laid back atmosphere at best. If this sort of place appeals then head there as it will change as it gets established.

I'd agree with Ordhan, regarding Kicking Horse a really fun place to be, but its easy to get it wrong big time. The town has a 'relaxed' nightlife so dont expect too much Toofy Grin

If you are planning to fly to and from Calgary, why not take a day out in the Banff area too ? Kicking Horse is 3 hrs drive from Calgary and Revvy is another 1.5 - 2 hrs on, but in a different time zone. Good heading there bad coming back Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rev/KH are a lot easier to score pow on - the locals eat pow at Snowbird/Alta like Homer Simpson in a donut shop. By 10.30 it's mostly tracked. At revelstoke it sits untouched for days, and they get a lot.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone have a view on the financial stability of Revelstoke as a new resort in an economic slump?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny Jones, How do you mean ? There was a slump last season and at times people were having to stay in the next town as all accom. was full, and the next town was about 50 mins away Shocked

The apartments arent selling as well as they thought at the moment but that can change. I would think long term Revelstoke will be ok.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I heard from a very unreliable source that plans had been downsized or pushed back and even cut altogether.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny Jones wrote:
Anyone have a view on the financial stability of Revelstoke as a new resort in an economic slump?

I think the real estate model may be slightly screwed so all the ski in/out bells and whistles + huge lift network will take longer to come through. The accomodation thing is funny - there is a lot of snowmobilers stay in town plus those off touring & thru drivers on the trans Canada so rooms can be "full" without the ski hill being overloaded I think. Novelty factor will keep domestic skier visits up for another couple of years I'd have thought.

Canadian ski resorts are are hotbed of financial intrigue though - try looking at the Fortress ski hill story or the fact that Whistler's owners (also Fortress) were reportedly almost bust last year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones, I think they have had some loss of revenue and income for future projects but even if it didnt change for another 10 years the palce would still be awsome

Kicking horse is great but you really have to be a strong skier/boarder to get the most out of it over 10 days but there are alot of resorts close to it and you could make it a 1 or 2 day trip as part of a break including Revelstoke,Banff and Red/Fernie
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I asked the question about financial stability, because there's no greater downer on a ski trip than to find the resort closed when you get there. With kids, I always have to travel in peak season, so finding last minute alternative family rooms in another resort could be problematic.

I'd like to make it to Revelstoke, but, in the current market, I wouldn't shell out a couple of grand on family accommodation and lift passes without carrying out some basic checks on the resort's survival chances. Real estate income plays a huge part in the North American ski resort model, and alternative sources of funding have largely dried up since August 2007, so I imagine that Revelstoke is struggling big time. I just wondered if any local snowheads had inside knowledge.
snow report
Jonny Jones, I am not aware of any snowheads folk in Revelstoke, just a few that have been. I also wouldn't be taking my family there for a ski holiday, until they finish glading and cutting runs etc there are far better resorts for your family within easy reach.
ski holidays
arv wrote:
I also wouldn't be taking my family there for a ski holiday, until they finish glading and cutting runs etc

You obviously don't know my family! As far as my kids are concerned, the steeper, deeper, rougher and less refined, the better. That's why I liked the thought of maybe splitting a trip between Revelstoke and Kicking Horse.
latest report
Jonny Jones, I just assumed, maybe I should have looked at your older posts more carefully. In that case Revelstoke would be an excellent choice and I would happily spend a week lapping North Bowl Laughing Kicking Horse would be great too!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy