Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems with Scott Neos - delaminating!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My husband purchased a pair of Scott Neos in Oct 2008 (brand new for the season) - which were skied for about 30 days over the winter. Following our last week away in April he noticed one ski had started to de-laminate right under the binding.

He didn't have any major falls or impacts etc. We are pretty meticulous when it came to locking our skis up for lunch, packing them for transport etc and never jammed them into the snow or anything similar.

Having left them with Ellis Brigham for several weeks for the Scott rep to examine the damage and advise on next steps - we were very annoyed on Friday when we finally got some news. Basically Scott have said it's our fault, they've had impact damage. They'll advise they are 'written off' and to claim on our holiday insurance.

1. Impact damage to a pair of skis in their first season - under the binding with no particular 'event' - is this a reasonable explanation?
2. What would you do next - anyone with similar experience?
3. What is the probability of successfully claiming on insurance without a particular event to report and this long after the event?

Any advice would be much appreciated. These were about £400 in October 2008 from Ellis Brigham and we're feeling a bit hard done by!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Farry, as I noted in another thread, there has been a problem with recently made Scott skis delaminating. My Missions have been fine over 9 weeks - and snowball must have done even more with his. His pair were made earlier than mine - and mine are older than RachelQ's, judging by the graphics. I suspect there was a duff batch or production process one year.

If you have appropriate Which? membership, you might like to use their legal advice to see if you have a case you can take (probably against Ellis Brigham) to the Small Claims Court. I think some household insurance policies also offer free legal advice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you mean delaminate? Is the topsheet or other layers beginning to peel away. Most delams start at the tip or tail not underfoot. Any underfoot damage I've done to skis or boards has been solely related to user/conditions, that is hitting something and compressing the edge thus popping up sections of base or creating a gap between edge & base plus of course the usual gouges and scrapes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, good point - thinking about it, it's most unlikely to be top-sheet delamination under a binding - so Scott may be right that it's impact damage in this case. Hard to tell further without a photo.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Farry, do you have some pics? I'm interested to see what happened as i'm waiting for some 2010 Neo's to be delivered.

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've heard this about Scott skis as well, principly the Mission but fortunately I haven't had any trouble with mine either, I've got the 2008 Scott Rosa which is essentially the same ski as the Mission with a different topsheet. I've used mine for 10 weeks now and no problems.

I do know an instructor with those Missions with the "paint" graphics and I think that's the second pair of his that have delaminated from the tip. I believe he got them replaced by Scott both times.

Never heard of it starting under a binding before.

Sorry not to be more help.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as has been said, most delams are of the top sheet of the ski normally at the tip or the tail, sometimes in the forebody of the ski, 10-20 cm back from the tip (comom in slalom skis) delamination in the mid foot area under the bindings is very very rare though not impossible, if there is any damage (impact ) to the edge, this can be fro a rock strike or similar then the chances are the damage will be seen as impact, if there is this kind of damage it can disrupt the seal between the edge and the sidewall, if water gets in to the ski then freezes /thaws whilst skiing it will expand and contract , it is this which causes the delamination

dependant on how bad it is will determine the action required, if it is a small area then it should be possible to split the ski open a bit further to get some high strength epoxy (not the crap you buy at B&Q) into the delam and clamp it closed, this type of repair although no one would guarantee it is pretty solid.... if the damage is widespread then this may not be possible

claiming in the small claims court against EB is IMO pointless, if the ski has been inspected and deemed to have impact damage then it would not get very far, you can't claim against the car dealership if you drive your car into a wall (unless of course the brakes failed and it was their fault) if independant people stated that there was no impact damage then you may have a case

claiming from your insurance should not be a problem, a letter from Scott or EB stating that due to impact damage the ski is a write off should sufice, the insurance company will of course deduct the excess on the policy and dependant on the condition of the ski deduct a % of the value, when i do an insurance letter i always state the condition of the ski and the useage ie skied 30 days conditon other than this damage excellent/good/fair/poor etc. also when you ask a shop to write a pair of skis off the skis become the property of the insurance company, we always retain the ski so that the customer cannot try and claim twice (it happens and is why insurance policies are expensive) when dealing with warranties i always err on the side of the consumer, if there is a fault which is suspect we look at the problem and try to assertain how the problem occurred, if it could be a fault then it is a warranty, if there is impact/abuse then no warranty, i recently had a pair of skis returned for inspection where the customer was threatening legal action as the skis had snapped on the second day of skiing and he noticed it whilst skiing along(yeh right it just happend)...... the fact that one ski was bent one way and the other ski bent the other both snapped in different directions at the same point indicated that the skis had been together when the damage had happened...probably run over by a car whist still in the bag rolling eyes

if you are anywhere close to Bicester and what another opinion on them do not hesitate to call me and arrange to pop in

good luck

edited due to fact i can't spell

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 16-06-09 13:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, Good points I'll make sure I run over my skis one at a time when I want a new pair wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having literally just purchased a new pair of Neo's, I can't say this thread fills me with joy! Is there anything I can reasonably do to avoid potential delaminating?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1556garyt, hitting rocks is a good thing to avoid, but to be fair to Scott, the tip /tail delmas that i have heard of have all been replaced, as i have not seen the skis in question in this thread it is impossible to say what the problem was caused by.

don't worry, go ski and enjoy them Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone.

It isn't a top sheet delam, but some of the deeper layers separating. Don't have any pictures as the skis are still with EB in Milton Keynes.

It's annoying but I think we'll have to accept 'impact' damage as the reason. We can't recall anything specific to have caused this damage but that's not to say we recall every inch of snow we covered! I've skied the same terrain as my husband (normally 10m behind! ) in my brand new Head Great Ones and they are perfectly fine and they travelled in the same bag too.

- It's obviously just one of those things we'll never be able to explain, can't see him buying another pair of Scotts though!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Farry, if you are around the MK area, then it may be worth bringing them over at some point, it could be easily fixable as i said, be a shame to bin them if they can be fixed, no doubt you will have been told that it is not worth fixing them as a new pair will be nicer

if it is impact then it is not Scotts fault ...operator error is the only thing to blame, other than a rock under the snow wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy