Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the right length for my new Scott skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm 36 years old male, 172cm (5ft6), 78kg and am an intermediate/advanced skier. I'm looking for an "all mountain" ski which will operate 55% on piste and 45% offpiste.

So far I have been looking at the Scott Mission, Salomon Lord and the Volkl AC30, but am leaning mainly towards the Mission.

I am not too aggressive a skier (sometimes a bit lazy!) so I am looking for a ski that will "make me look good" without too much effort! I currently use Rossi Zenith Z3's which are fine on piste but hopeless offpiste.

Todate I've been looking at skis of around 170cm however it was suggested I look at the missions in 178 as opposed to 168. What si the best legnth for me? Are these the right skis to be looking at?

All thoughts and advice would be most welcomed...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1556garyt, Afraid I don't have any pearls of wisdom for you.. someone will be along shortly with some, I'm sure. Very Happy Just wanted to say welcome to snowHeads all the same... Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1556garyt,
I think 178 would be fine for you at 78kg you should be able to use them fine. That extra bit of length will help them in the powder. I think the Mission should fit the bill for you by all accounts they are forgiving and dont have to be pushed to make them work. I'd prefer a stiffer ski myself but I'm a bit heavier @ 82kg and like to ski agressively. The Semi twin tip will make it ski a tad short on piste.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1556garyt, I am a bit taller than you and a little lighter and use mission in 178 to ski with my daughter as it seems to tolerate going slowly on piste for the morning and then off piste / bumps / steeper on piste in the afternoon when i am on my own. It is very forgiving and easy to ski, but a bit of a jack of all trades. I find them lifeless to be honest, but i can see why so many people like them, and my fischer kehuas are much much better off piste, but you have to expend more energy on piste especially short turns whereas the missions will do short turns easily. The missions are a little twitchy in powder,(i assume because of their sidecut) and the tune was really dreadful when new, 1 degree base and 3 degrees side improves their on piste hard pack performance. Tip is very flappy at speed, (the tip seems long compared to many other skis) but they still grip. I think a 168 will be rather short for you at 78kg and will compromise off piste as poster suggested above.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1556garyt, ! am about 85kg. I ski 178 Missions, and am very happy with them. Sometimes I think the length may be a little long - but I appreciate the extra footprint on breakable crust, so I wouldn't change. At present the edges are set at 2°/0.5° - but will probably ask spyderjon increase that to 3°/0.5° to improve the on-piste hard pack performance on steep slopes.

Welcome to sHs.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for your responses. In the middle of all this I have been offered a pair of Scott Neo's (176cm) at a very, very attractive price (over £100 less then the Missions). Should I compromise and get the Neo's over the Mission?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1556garyt,
I tried to reply without mentioning the S***T N** as I have raved about it enough Madeye-Smiley
Thats not a compromise IMO its a better ski and given your piste bias probably more suited a tad narrower than mission similar shape and stiffer. Hence I bought them Very Happy and I love them. It is stiffer it will be better on piste and the tip flap that carroz mentioned with the mission is non existent. It eats crud and slush grips really well and is good in fresh snow. It defo skis shorter than its length. Check my previous posts to see my thoughts on them. It will cruise happily at medium speed but push it a bit more and it rewards big time it is anything but lifeless. It makes me smile every time I do any fast groomed run on it. Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1556garyt, That is a good find. go for it and don't forget to post about your fun adventures when you've had a chance to enjoy them!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1556garyt, I'm 174 and around 85kg.

I had a pair of Missions in 183 and should have gone shorter.

Personally, I think the Lords ski better than the Missions.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AC30's are a handful, stiff with a lot of camber. they take a lot of effort and i wouldnt put them in the "makes you look good category" Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My husband loved his Scott Neos, he's the same height as you but 74kg so got his in a 166 which suited him fine.

HOWEVER. One of his Neos has randomly de-laminated right under the binding and Scott/Ellis Brigham have so far been very unhelpful. These were new skis which suffered no 'event' and the customer service has been far from ideal.

By all means if you love them get them, but beware!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Farry, there has been a problem with recently made Scott skis delaminating. My Missions have been fine over 9 weeks - and snowball must have done even more with his. His pair were made earlier than mine - and mine are older than RachelQ's, judging by the graphics. I suspect there was a duff batch or production process one year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

HOWEVER. One of his Neos has randomly de-laminated right under the binding and Scott/Ellis Brigham have so far been very unhelpful. These were new skis which suffered no 'event' and the customer service has been far from ideal.

You said in a previous post that your skis had been used "only 30 times". In my view this doesn't make them "new skis" as stated in this post. Scott have recently had a few issues with delaminating top sheets and from what I have read from other Snowheads they have repalced these culprit skis very quickly. Your issue is very different and would recommend you get a independant opinion from another Scott stockist a.s.a.p. I'm guessing that by venting your anger on an open forum won't help any unsolved discrepancies that you may have with either the manufactuer or retailer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1556garyt, I'm 75kg, 5ft 11in, 38 and an advanced skier. I phoned up a shop two years ago to get some Missions and was persuaded to get the Neos after explaining that my off-piste/on-piste ratio was similar to yours given that half my time is spent accompanying the children down blues and the other half day-touring with friends. I spent rather a long time deliberating but eventually went with his recommendation and have never regretted it.

The Neo is a superb all-round ski which, as others have said, is stiffer than the Mission and benefits from it on a typical Alpine holiday. Everyone I've met since who has had the good fortune to try both has recommended the Neo for your mix of on and off-piste.

And for £100 less...

Ed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all for the advice - the Neo's are on their way to me. Can't wait for December (or maybe even a cheeky later November weekend!)...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy