Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Anwarter Ski Instructor Qualification

Poster: A snowHead
Timmaah, to be safe, I'd check with BASI (or contact beanie1) on where you could teach with the BASI Level 2. I personally don't know whether the Swiss employ L2s and I'm not sure what Interski require or places like NZ or Japan? I've only ever taught for Austrian ski schools off the back of my Anwärter even though I've held a higher level BASI qualification.

I would also contact Snowsport Austria (Austrian instructors association) http://www.skilehrer.at/ to confirm that you would need the Landesskilehrer 2 to work in other countries. I would presume that you'd need the Diplomskilehrer qualification (Staatliche) to teach in France if you go the Austrian system route. This qualification is the same as the BASI L4.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah, lots of L2s working in Switzerland. I think probably quite a few in Austria. I know of several with L2 and even a couple with L1 who have worked in Austria. I know L2 is no problem for NZ but don't know how easy jobs are to come by. Japan to my knowledge likes US/Canadian qualifications and I have no idea how they view L2. My impression is that Austrian qualifications are less internationally recognised simply due to fewer people looking for work internationally with them, but I'd guess that unless you want to teach in Austria/Germany you'd have fewer problems with a BASI L2 than an Austrian Anwarter or LS1.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did Anwärter last season in St Anton (although wouldn't recommend the way I did it), like most people say its not the hardest of qualifications but its the best if you want to find work in Austria, I've yet to meet anyone with below BASI L3 working in Austria and personally would recommend (if you speak German) Landeslehrer, have heard good things about the qualification which I hope to start in the next few months

Gsyfreerider, nice to see a fellow Sarnian on here eh!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given that so many Austrians are incredible skiers, it does seem rather surprising that they allow an "instructor" with a technical level of BASI 1. Is that really the case? Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skilehrer89, ah yeh, all the best mind how you go eh?! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Given that so many Austrians are incredible skiers, it does seem rather surprising that Anwarter is merely of the same technical standard as BASI L1.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges wrote:
Given that so many Austrians are incredible skiers, it does seem rather surprising that Anwarter is merely of the same technical standard as BASI L1.

Why? You've got to start of somewhere, and there a plenty of Austrians who are pretty crap skiers lol.

Skilehrer89, did you do the Peak Leaders course by any chance?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought that the Anwärter was above what is now the L1 standard when I did it. But then again the groups consisted of local kids and poo-poo hot Swedes, therefore it might not be a real comparison! It was somewhere between BASI L1 and L2 in terms of personal technical performance but the Level 2 is much more thorough on the teaching side.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, uhh - point is therefore no reason not to accept L1 based on technical level.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gsyfreerider, ah yeah im good eh, and you mon viaer? Nice to know there are fellow islanders who use this forum!

clarky999, yes I did, did my post give it away that easily!?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmaah,

Quote:
Surely I just need to register myself at an Austrian address at the Landesamt for a few weeks whilst doing the test? That would save me having to get support from a ski school?

no that will not work! You actually have to have the support of a ski school if you are not an Austrian national. If you are an Austrian national you can register directly and do not need the blessing of a ski school. So as a non-Austrian you apply to a ski school and ask to be taken on on the condition that you pass the Anwärter and then work for them during the subsequent season. If you do not have the support/sponsorship of a local ski school, the chances are that you will not be accepted on the course. The SBSSV site has a list of ski schools offering jobs for this season if you take a look.

Take a look at the site link I gave you and then read the details of each course. It is clearly spelt out there. From what I have heard the Tirol system is exactly the same for foreign nationals.

A way round this is to do one of the courses provided by the Dutch group (mentioned here I think) they seem to be operating out of Wien and offer the course in English as well as Dutch. However, you are then obliged to do your teaching hours post course with them.

The entry level is relatively low as is the level for L1 but the teaching you receive and the level you have to achieve in both technical demonstrations, personal skiing and teaching are exceptionally high.

If you don't want to work for a season then look for a school offering hours/time in the peak season.

Sue rolling eyes

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 17-10-10 11:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skilehrer89 wrote:

[b]clarky999
, yes I did, did my post give it away that easily!?

Just I did the course the year before (which was the first one run in Anton) and whilst I (and most people on the course) were happy with it, I gather things changed a bit for last years one. How many of you got jobs with the ski school for the whole season?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Timmaah,

A way round this is to do one of the courses provided by the Dutch group (mentioned here I think) they seem to be operating out of Wien and offer the course in English as well as Dutch. However, you are then obliged to do your teaching hours post course with them.

Only the operating through WSSV is true there.

Course is in almost entirely in german.
Jobs offered, but not by a long shot required to take them.
For LS1 a confirmation of worked hours from a foreign school (swiss, dutch) is accepted.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skilehrer89, yeah I think we are the only two donkeys but there is a crapaud (a real one as well) but he sounds like a top man. Are you based in St Anton again this season? A friend of mine lives just outside Lech and has just built her own Heidi home and we are meant to be going out for housewarming early Dec but think I am going to wait till new year now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gsyfreerider, another one here (from St Saviours) but been on the mainland most of my life - now based on the main mainland as far from the sea as you can get just about.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, about time you were cast away to Siberia or at least somewhere in deepest Russia NehNeh
snow report
flangesax, why - what have I done wrong now? Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I was trying to think of somewhere as far away form the coast as possible... need your Geography input though!... Only thing 'worng' I can think of is how many times you have been going skiing so-far compared to me!
latest report
flangesax, well we can play catch up this weekend can't we? Is the Planai still open - I thought last week's prices were OK.
snow report
we made a stupid vow when we moved here... wait for the ski pass to kick in!... but I am having an urge to go out and get a load of touring gear!
snow report
Quote:

to be safe, I'd check with BASI (or contact beanie1) on where you could teach with the BASI Level 2. I personally don't know whether the Swiss employ L2s and I'm not sure what Interski require or places like NZ or Japan?

Just spotted this - yes with L2 you can work in Switzerland, for Interski for 4 weeks per season, and in NZ and (I believe) Japan amongst others. The only places you can't work with L2 without additional training or exams are France, Italy (with some exceptions) and Andorra. Of course your job obtions are significantly increased with L3 and L4.
latest report
flangesax, thought it kicked in this weekend? I was thinking of coming over and picking my season card up on Saturday or Sunday. Where's the best place to do that?
ski holidays
skilehrer89,

were we that bad company? wink Good luck with the next one.

The Austrians are pretty clear what the Anwarter is for. It is a beginning ski instructor level qualification for beginning ski instructors......you then begin, get experience while in a controlled (ie ski school) environment and do the next one.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy