Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A contrasting tale of two Scottish ski areas...

Poster: A snowHead
These interesting photos on the Winterhighland site show the very contrasting fortunes of The Lecht (once again securing the best Scottish snow) and Glenshee a couple of days ago.

Both ski areas are on the east side, but just show how important a microclimate can be.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Generally speaking, between East vs West and North vs South, you can find some skiing, somewhere. Guess that's the benefit of having five ski areas, all in quite different parts of the Highlands.

So why am I stuck here and not up there skiing!?!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have never seen photos of Scottish ski areas before. Not exactly the alps is it - I don't think I have missed much by not having been.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're right Steve, it's hardly the Alps (to nick a line from skanky), but then it's all we've got! The big difference though is that the scenery is a lot more varied - because it's not just mountain everywhere the eye can see, you have woods, lochs, towns, glens etc. Also, the sky up here seems to have a different quality about it - somehow clearer. Can't explain it.

Also, the lift queues are impeccably behaved. And everyone who works the areas is massively into snowsports/climing, so there's a really good atmosphere - plenty of joking with the lifties.

You're right that it's different, but a bit unfair to say you haven't missed much. (Sure you were half kidding though).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve. No those shots wouldn't make a brochure. Too many snowfences. The best terrain on Cairngorm (the Coire na Ciste), Nevis Range and Glencoe is actually quite Alpine - substantial bowls, gullies and open slopes.

If the snow finally arrives in Scotland this winter, there should be some far finer shots.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to see uni mates in Aberdeen on 18th March for a few days. Do you think there will still be chance of ski-ing at the Lecht by then?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No reason why not (well, except a lack of snow, of course) - the season can be quite late sometimes, and March isn't really that late. Totally depends on what happens with our weird weather system!

Just keep your fingers crossed and expect the worst. This is the mantra for Scottish skiing!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
steveb, I think you have missed a lot by not skiing in Scotland. I love it up there. The scenery by and large is amazing, the skiing is pretty good on the best days, (although admittedly pretty ropey on the worst...) the people are really friendly and you won't hear french spoken anywhere. Wink
Have a look on winterhighland and check these pictures www.winterhighland.com/glencoe/pics_17_jan_04.php and then tell me you haven't missed much.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree about the scenery. Take any skiing as a bonus. The views from any of the high ski areas are magnificent - probably best is Nevis Range, because you get huge sea and island views. A day's drive around the Highlands, on a clear day, can also be sensational.

Go to Loch Lomond (is there a more picturesque lake in Europe?), continue up the A82 through the bleak drama of Rannoch Moor, turn left for Glen Etive (staggeringly beautiful), up to Fort William, along the road to Newtonmore which passes Loch Laggan....etc. etc. etc.

I can't get enough of it, but sadly only get up there occasionally.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poppycock. I was up there with the missus et the Wickesettes last weekend and there was nary a flake on the Nevis range. Go further East - the Lecht is in the wind-shadow of the Cairngorms hence retains its snow for longer, and it has the added bonus of being situated on moorland rather than boulder field so you won't strip the bases off your expensive skis.

Personally, I have trouble getting to grips with snowplough and/or reality, so anything better than a gentle dry-slope is wasted on me. That notwithstanding, when I am Emperor the entire country will be tilted onto a slope of at least 30°. Vive moi !!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strange. There's some reasonable skiing on the upper slopes at Nevis Range. Reasonable for Scotland that is...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not last weekend there wasn't, all the snow was across in the East.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
steveb wrote:
I have never seen photos of Scottish ski areas before. Not exactly the alps is it - I don't think I have missed much by not having been.

Ah, but given the choice of skiing or not skiing - I'd love any sort of area on my doorstep.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd only seen Cairngorm before last weekend (and only then from an ice-climbing perspective) but I was pleasantly surprised by Scottish skiing.

That being said, I wouldn't go there for more than a weekend, and I'd not go unless the weather reports were very favourable...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In my experiance it's best to go just after it's snowed - not whilst it's snowing as you can't get to the slopes. But be quick as it melts fast.

Not much of an advert really.
latest report
Jef Wickes wrote:
Not last weekend there wasn't, all the snow was across in the East.

www.winterhighland.com/snowreports/index.php?resort=nr

There really hasn't been much change at Nevis since February 14th, but agreed you have to keep a close eye on the conditions and be able to go at the drop of hat.
snow conditions
Ha! Snow reports.

There was supposed to be 25-35cm on the top at Glencoe, but what the report didn't say was it was restricted to one single run in Happy Valley, covered by an inch of boilerplate ice.
ski holidays
Actually, that's one of the great things about the snow report at Glencoe - rather than just getting depths etc., you can actually download an image of the hill, so you can see the coverage for each run (well, except one that winds down the back of the hill).

Best snow report I've ever seen!

[edit: seems the picture doesn't get updated that often. I take it back!!]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy