Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
How big can your bag of hand luggage actually be? I cannot find any reference other than not more than 5 kgs.

My son (aged 4) has his own tiny suitcase (its on wheels with a pully handle ) and he has packed all his teddies in it, I would hate to arrive at the airport and a) have to find room for them in my hand luggage, a small rucksack and b) have to explain to him that he must hand it over to check out staff.

Thanks!

We packed Sunday night cos I am working all week and we have to leave the house at 3am on Saturday morning, so cannot face doing it Friday night. At least I know I am organised. Sort of.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fruity - I can't even claim the excuse of busy family life and I reckon I was packed by Monday before the weekend!
Back to topic - when checking in have seen contraptions into which your hand luggage should technically fit - but have never seen anyone at check in actually use them. As a guide they seem to be the size of the smaller trolleys on wheels which originally were designed to be allowed as hand luggage.
Sounds like your sons should be reasonable but as ever this will probably depend on whether its a friendly scheduled flight (or upmarket charter) versus the hard nosed no frills operators
p.s. off topic - went on charter with Astraeus this year - got bucks fizz on the way out - how cool is that!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Usually it will be something arround 45 cm X 35 cm X 15 cm likewise sometimes it will be weighed and sometimes not, I think it seems to depend on how full the aircraft's going to be, as anexample flying out this year, both my hold and hand luggage were weighed (just a fraction over but no charge) on the way back only my hold luggage was weighed, the plane out was full bar one or two seat the plane going back was only about half full, also check on tickets or booking info as you may be allowed other things, for example

In addition to one suitcase max weight 20kg
One piece of hand baggage max weight 5kg

One small camera or pair of binocoulars
one handbag or purse
one umbrella or walking stick
one jacket

were all printed on the ticket as being allowed in addition to the hand baggage !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fruity: this site might help
http://www.luggage-discounts.com/airline_luggage_restrictions.htm
though does seem to relate mainly to american airlines.
The airline you are going with should anwer your question.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fruity, if it's the same as my kids little pull along cases you'll be fine. I use my daysack as hand luggage and haven't had a problem yet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've taken hand-luggage in excess of 20kgs !
However, that was before they got tight about it.....

The dimensions given above are near enough correct; you often see little baskets into which hand-luggage must fit. If it's a bit heavy, hold it nonchalently in one hand or over a shoulder and hope they don't ask to weight it - if it looks like it's no effort to carry, they most likely won't ask.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its not a huge case, I hope we should be fine. It weighs nothing! (packed with teddies!) and we put a luggage tag on it for him tonight. He is driving us mad, so excited. (We are too!).

Would you take a suitcase off a small child? I couldnt. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends if you get some uppity cow who's boyfriend dumped her the night previous... I have a special "cabin space" bag which has flown all over the world but a few weeks ago some British Midland stewardess took it upon herself to demand that ALL cabin bags be checked... cue mad hunting inside bag for things which absolutely CANNOT afford to be left on the runway at Heathrow. Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fruity, I've seen loads of kids pulling these little cases round the airports, never yet seen anyone refused to take one on the plane!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra wrote:
Depends if you get some uppity cow who's boyfriend dumped her the night previous... I have a special "cabin space" bag which has flown all over the world but a few weeks ago some British Midland stewardess took it upon herself to demand that ALL cabin bags be checked... cue mad hunting inside bag for things which absolutely CANNOT afford to be left on the runway at Heathrow. Mad

They often do that if it's a small plane and it's full. If it was a big plane, then who knows the reason.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Off to get my flight this afternoon Smile ... but, dammit, in the wrong direction, and not a fun trip either, I'm afraid. Haven't been back to the UK for years, what's changed? Still have shillings? Only kidding... but last time I went back it was really weird, staring at the coins as if I'd just arrived from Mars. Just so long as I remember to drive on the left...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't forget to look right when you cross the road.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG - haha me too. I can never figure out the right money and was told last year that my twenty pound notes were no longer legal tender - what? they changed? Someone recently showed me a 5 pound coin and I didn't know whether it was a wind-up or not!

It's all greek to me! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
£5 coins do exist and are legal tender although getting someone to accept them migh be difficult, I believe they were produced for the last Queens Jubiliee year but I'm not certain
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good idea to keep those teddies in a suitcase. My niece lost her "Mouse" on the Eurostar a few years ago because she insisted on holding it rather than packing it away. "Mouse" is now permanently on his travels (we tell her) and only my sister's dexterity with a sewing machine and some white fluffy material ("Mousette") saved the day.
ski holidays
I am always stunned by the amount of stuff people take onto flights as hand luggage - what is it all for?? Me, I take my purse, phone, passport & a book. That's it (& I don't need the phone really) On crappy horrid charter flights we take a picnic to avoid eating the "food" that is provided.

The only time I take more is for a weekend away when we go "hand luggage only"
snow report
Check in people like to play god- I often try and get the work experience boy who is easily distracted when checking in my 32 kg suitcases.

I'd imagine youd have no problem whatsoever with your kiddie's suitcase- even check in have a heart ( could that be up for discussion?)

Your packed already for this weekend!??! Oh god im so behind, im not even going to open a suitcase until saturday when I get back down south otherwise ill end up taking curling tongs/hairdryer/straightners/sandwich toaster etc
snow report
Have found that charter flights are most likely to be the ones refusing hnad luggage. Our little wheelie is specificaly designed for overhead compartments and advertised as such. It is exactly the size that BA suggest, but have had it refused on a Britannia flight ehrn it wasnt fully booked. They said that they do not allow such large bags ever, and have never done, (yeh right). Anyway, havnt had it refused on any other flights (as yet).
ski holidays
Flew to//from Geneva on a full Britannia flight (Thompson/Club med charter) at half term - they were letting people on with standard trolley-bags - the ones that just fit in the overheads.

Loads of people had quite large bags too.
latest report
Returning back from a summer holiday a few years ago a bloke had a surf board thingy (honest) and mamaged to get it the overhead locker.
snow report
Blimey, its no way that big Colin!!!!!!! He has only one Andrex puppy dog, called Pet that he will be allowed to take out at the airport. Pet goes everywhere with us. He even brushes his teeth in the morning.. sweet. i also got him a swissair stuffed aeroplane at a recent exhibition, its only about 3 inches across and has a smiley face..... I guess that will be in my pocket by the time we park the car....... plus his blanket, which he drags along everywhere.... plus his small knitted pretend blanket which grannie knitted especially for the slopes...... previous post somewhere else. I can see him skiing, blanket trailing behind him.................. Laughing

The case has a retracting handle and is only laptop sized but wider, when its not got the handle up.

So that, at the last count was 3 suitcases (one about 18kgs, judging by the fact I can lift it, but it has a handle) one normal suitcase, 15kgs, one big holdall about 8kgs. 1 small holdall (hand luggage for hubby) one cool ferrari bag that we use to ski with (labelled u see). One child suitcase. One husband, one child.

Do I have everything then????????????? snowHead
snow report
The three things you have to have are passports, tickets and money (or access to it). Anything else can be forgotten with only inconvenience. Erm, that's per person, I wasn't meaning you could forget the child... Shocked
ski holidays
Skis? Boots?
latest report
Naah - buy new Smile
snow report
Oh damn, boot bags to carry......... thanks M, I forgot them too!!!!!!!!!!! AGH. Guess I cant get away with holding Bens hand.
snow report
Can I take Ski Boots as hand luggage on Ryanair??? Max luggage weight is 15kg!
latest report
Best phone them. Or even better get something in writing. Don't assume anything with Ryanair.
snow report
If I exceed weight and have to pay excess luggage will they still take the stuff as long as i pay the excess?

Yours pooing self about how i am meant to go skiing with 15kg when boots weigh 4kg...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tricky - are you male or female? If you're male, there are a couple of "what to pack" lists that may help to cut down what you take with you. If it weren't for the boots & skis, I could almost fit what I take with me in handluggage only (wearing ski jacket and boots).

If you're female then I doubt Nadenoodlee's list on that thread will help you lighten your load much!!!
snow conditions
Male.

But is wearing ski jackets so "eighties"??

Will hunt down threads after visit to pub

Work, what is that?
snow conditions
A lot of scheduled airlines allow boots on top of allowance or as hand luggage, can't see that on Ryanair's website.

From their website:

"Due to space restrictions, we recommend that all sports equipment is pre-booked and pre-paid by calling your local reservation centre, as not to do so may result in the item being refused for carriage at the airport. If the fee is not paid at the time of booking or on your outbound it will still be imposed on your return journey."

It talks about skis but not about boots on that page.
I don't think any airline guarantees that your luggage will be allowed on or get to your destination on your flight. Some airlines are better than others at getting it to you in those situations, though.

Give 'em a ring. Cool
ski holidays
Tricky wrote:
Male.

But is wearing ski jackets so "eighties"??

Will hunt down threads after visit to pub

Work, what is that?

Some of us don't ski in ski jackets. We just have jackets for skiing, so wearing them is no problem Very Happy
snow conditions
have just filled up an entire Ford Galaxy with the requirements of a family of four for 8 days' skiing, no problem.
snow report
Ryan air dont have ford galaxys only planes......
snow report
Tricky, Seriously, you should be able to fit everything you need to take with you in a North Face bag (or some such equivalent) together with your boots and come in considerably under 15kg.

I'm sure when you get on the plane, you'll see a LOT of people wearing their "ski" jackets (ok, the jackets they'll ski in then!)

Only problem with wearing mine is that people think I'm Easyjet staff if I travel on one of their planes Embarassed
snow report
I must be taking too much. Weighed my gear last night and squishy bag that i use for ckecked in luggage came to about 13kg. Still got to put in a few things. I heve just phoned Ryanair and they said that as long as my boots weigh less than 7kg they will be ok as hand luggage - they may be put in the hold though (very odd).

Jackets for skiing in weigh more than fleeces so i will have to wear jacket and do some serios sweating on the plane!

No idea what makes the bag so damn heavy. should ski and go out in the same clothes - it would be easy then..
latest report
Hang on, let me find that thread...

Ok here we are: skanky's list is pretty comprehensive yet still comes in at under 15kg. Austin7 has another list further down that is also good.

Hope that helps!
snow report
Tricky, You can take the jacket off when you get on the plane and put it in the overhead bin!
ski holidays
Just had a look at that list an is almost exactly the same as mine. Will stand on scales with bags again tonight.

Bet my clothes wear at least 1kg, will have to do it naked..

I can always wear my ski boots on plane!
latest report
At Birmingham they take boot bags off you at checkin and make you put them with the skis. "Oversize baggage" or something. I pack my boots, socks, sallies etc in a bigger ordinary bag and they go through no problem.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy