Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon aeromax Ti vs Rossignol Zenith Z7 vs K2 Apache Hellfire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As an early intermediate skier weighing 66kg, which of the above (or something else fairly cheap) would you recommend ? Ski 98% on-piste, mostly easy reds and blues with the occasional easy black when conditions are perfect. Not catching an edge is a priority for the sake of not ruining my kids' holiday, but would also like something that will not wobble too much at speed. Lightness also a bonus for when I am carrying three sets of skis !

All help much appreciated, especially at this quiet time of year on here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you considered the K2 Apache Crossfire - its a great Piste Ski and very stable when cracking on a bit - the latest model is IMO better stability wise than the prior models - not the lightest but then thats where the stability comes from. You should find some decent deals around now
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They should all be OK. The salomons have a lighter feel, the Rossignol and the K2 fell more "damp", maybe a good thing for you. Length should be more important that the model, between those three - for your needs, i'd go with a 160-165 lenght. Personally I'd go for the Rossignol, but the Salomons might be lighter/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies.

In the end I've gone for the K2 Hellfires, due to availability at a decent price and suitability for a lightweight early intermediate. It is apparantly better suited to soft snow than hardpack whereas I would have preferred the other way round but beggars can't be choosers and at least I won't be left with zero choice at the hire shop which has happened to me a few too many times.

At some point I'd like the opportunity to compare a "light" feeling ski with a "damp" one to see which I prefer.

Now I've got six months to find a well padded ski bag. Is the quoted length for a ski bag the usable length or the gross length ie. would a "170 cm" bag be fine for my soon to arrive 163s ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Enjoy them, I don't think that a ski with a 68 mm waist is really for soft snow, they shoud be great for you. The bag should be fine (170 should fit 170 skis)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Although they are sold as 163cm long, they are in fact 157.5 cm long. I thought they looked a little shorter than I was used to which is why I measured them - at least it means they should fit easily into the 165cm bag I bought.

Do skis generally measure shorter than the quoted length ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
will the hellfires be suitable for a heavier skier 0f 92kg 5'9" ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think at 92kgs you'd be better off with a stiffer ski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy