Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bootfitter in NZ

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone!

Does anyone know of a reputable bootfitter in either Christchurch or Queenstown? I've decided to take the plunge on buying some boots and I'm prepared to spend the big bucks, even as much as £100 British pounds! Laughing

So, where do I go? What do I ask for? How much do I spend?

Thanks, NB.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was recommended browns in Queenstown. I think there is a Scottish guy that owns it/works there and he is supposedly good. This was back in 2004 so it may have changed. NZ gear is not cheap though. Probably more expensive than the uk and you'll never get a pair of boots for £100 quid that are not last years or used!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I will do some checking around town (Queenstown) tomorrow and get back to you with recommendations for boot fitters and with some boot prices. Possibly buying new skis tomorrow so will be making the rounds of the shops. Just had to let you all know that NehNeh snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottishskier, I was kidding about the £100 - I was thinking more along the lines of £250-£300 for some custom moulds - not sure if that's realistic?

Sarge McSarge, - Thanks - Very much appreciated - any info would be very helpful!

NB
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NomadicBoo,

I did a search and came up with these guys http://www.brownsnz.com/winter/shop/custombootfitting.
I've never been to NZ let alone been in their shop but they talk the talk which is a start and seem to stand over their service.

Make sure you wear THIN socks for your fitting and when skiing afterwards. You will have more comfort and contact with the boot. Sock materials are so good now you dont need thick ones to stay warm.

When you try the boots on make sure EVERY PAIR IS SHELL CHECKED you should verify that the space in the shell with your barefoot is not excessive ie greater than 20mm.
The bootfitter should be able to match brands and models of boot to your foot shape try what they suggest and give them as much feedback as you can. Be open minded to all brands the best one is the one that matches your foot.

Get custom footbeds. You could ask them to do this first then try on the boots that have passed the shell check with your custom foot beds. I found this made a difference to how boots felt and reversed my preference over trying without them. Your going to be skiing with them in you would there fore be better trying boots with them in.

Warning even boots that are 2 sizes to big can feel snug when new. When the liners pack out they will be useless big boots cannot be made smaller. Tight can be made to fit.

They offer an alignment service too I don't know if it is included in the boot fitting but It is worth getting this done.

When doing a search on google use google.co.nz and select pages from new zealand I searched ski boot fitter. google.co.uk did not get me good hits when I searched ski boot fitter new zealand.

There are a lot of good tips in previous threads here about bootfitting and CEM and Smallzookeeper have posted loads of good advise (both of them are bootfitters). As for me I just bought the wrong boots a couple of times and learned the hard way.
Hope this helps do let us know how you get on.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NomadicBoo, Well after a few enquiries I have have this for you. Browns has a good name as does Outside Sports and as far as I know all the established ski shops have good staff. Due to the demand for work during the winter season the shops are able to be picky with who they hire. The guy at Outside Sports (Sebastian) has been there for some years and learned his stuff from a guy who is now a ski boot designer so should know what he is doing.
Just make sure you buy your boots in the town where you are going to spend the first few weeks of your adventure so that you can go back for any adjustments required. As for prices new upper performance boots range from $800 to $1100 NZ dollars so that is about your £250 - £300.
I did buy new skis, Dynastar Legend Mythic Riders woohoo can't for Monday when I get to try them out. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RPF, Great info - thanks - I will print this out and take it with me when I go! I will definitely let you know what I end up with and how they work out.

Sarge McSarge, thanks again. I think as Browns has been mentioned a few times I will start there and if I don't find what I want I will head for Outside. Nice buy on the Dynastars BTW. Very snazzy snowHead .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarge McSarge, NomadicBoo,
Soooo jealous of you guys. I went to Tamworth yesterday need to wax again grrrrr Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Still hope your gear works out.

We will be expecting plenty of pictures and envy inducing regular reports wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RPF, Be jealous. When I left for work at 6.30 this morning the whole of Coronet Peak was lit up as all the snow guns have lights on them and it looks like the mountain is covered with jewels. 200 plus of the latest guns pumping out the white stuff. If you go on google earth and go to the little village of Arthurs Point which is between Queenstown and Coronet Peak you can see some photos taken from my house which give you a good look at Coronet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Browns are good, and the staff do back to back seasons, plus the range is good. Failing that check out Wanaka - go see Neil at Racer's Edge... he is EXCEPTIONAL and my first choice. Be weary of who you see at Outside Sport, a chap there last season was telling all sorts of monstrous fibs to a question he did not know the answer to! Ironically he was French Blush
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just wanted to say........7 nights until I hit the snow.

I'm going to do this everyday Very Happy .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh actually, a serious question. Let's say I go out and try a load of boots on and find the make model I like. If I then buy that make model secondhand can I then git it fitted by a bootfitter? The reason I ask is VictoriaSkiSport in Christchurch have a HUGE range of ex-rental boots. I could probably get what I want there and then maybe have some custom footbeds put in? Thoughts?

Cheers NB

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 9-06-09 0:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes you can but you will have to pay for the service if you then move to somewhere like Queenstown
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

HUGE range of sex-rental boots.

Anre you sure thats a ski shop? Watch you dont catch an STD from these Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously though, I wouldnt. Ex-rental boots have had a lot of feet in em and many days skiing. Their liners will be well packed out and probably not have enough life left in them for you skiing everyday of a season. A new liner will have a chance to conform to your foot shape as you use it.

Quote:

I could probably get what I want there

Do you know what model best suits your foot different brands suit different feet better? The first step of bootfitting is matching a boot to your foot. This way there is less modification required to get the fit right.

Remember when you try on a boot you are trying on the liner which will stretch and packout with time (so you really are not getting much information about the boot. This is why the shell check is so important.

You will have to pay for boot fitting after anyway which will come with a new boot. There is more to it than custom footbeds.
Browns seem to offer a very good service including alignment which will make sure your boots work with you not against.

If you skimp on your boots and get it wrong you will end up going the new boots route anyway. Ontop of the time and money you wasted with the ex-rentals. It took me 3 pairs of boots in one year to learn my lesson you have a chance to learn the easyway. Get it done right!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RPF, Ha ha! I have modified - I wouldn't wear sex-rental boots if you paid me! Although, the warmth and stickiness could be good for circulation and keeping the feet warm wink .

Yeah - you're right. No point scrimping now only to have to buy new ones later. It was just a thought. I should be buying them next Monday so I will let you know how I get on.

Also, has anyone heard off the brand Full Tilt? I visited a ski shop here and they guy was all for reccomending those. He said they were narrow, custom mouldable and perfect for my feet. They had a hefty price tage however so I was sure he was going to say that! Has anyone used? My worry, as they are essentially race boots for experienced skiers is they won't have the flex required for an intermediate like me. Whilst they will be comfy in store, once moulded, a day on the slopes without any give in them is likely to leave me in some pain? Is that right or have I just talked myself out of the best boots ever? Confused

Cheers, NB
latest report
I don't know the brand but you will be better off buying to suit your ability with some allowance for improvement rather than getting something high performance that will be hard to handle.
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, Full Tilt make great boots if they they fit. They are basicly the old Raichle Flexon of old which was a classic. The perfect boot is the boot with the perfect fit.
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, From what I know the FT have a range of boots in various flexes. Raceboot?????? I think not.
Its often marketed as a Freeski boot. From what good boot fitters say about them they are a good boot IF, as kiwi1 said, they fit your feet. Some boots and some feet dont go together, square peg round hole etc.
I think CEM some where previously posted that a lot of classifying boots for certain types of skiing is largely a load of toss (not his exact words) (race boots excepted) (CEM forgive and correct me if I'm wrong on this Puzzled )
snow report
Don't buy a second hand boot. If it's not right you'll end up spending out twice. Buy once get it right. Go somewhere that can make you a custom moulded footbed and offers a good guarentee.

Good bootfitters exist in wanaka in both Base and racers edge (Neil or Mark) http://www.racersedge.co.nz/boot_fitting.html

Or for christchurch You could try a trip out to Darfield and see gnomes. http://www.gnomes.co.nz/content/Custom-Boot-Fitting/custom-boot-fitting.php.
latest report
Hi everyone. Just a quick one to say thanks for all the input. I ended up getting a pair of solamons and some custom foot beds. I have been out on them 3 days in a row and they have been fantastic! No pain, really tight but 100% comfortable and they have made a HUGE difference in my skiing!
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, Very Happy nice one, You do know that you have no excuses now.
Where did you buy them in the end?
latest report
And where have you been skiing???????
snow report
RPF, I ended up getting them from Victoria Ski Sport in Christchurch and my girlfriend bought a pair too. We've both been really happy with them - 5th day today and still a good fit and no pain. As for no excuses that's fine, I can honestly say I have come further in the last 5 days than all of my previous skiing put together. Other than flying down every piste in perfect control with great turns I have also managed two high speed jumps of at least 5 foot. Unfortunately, neither have been landed successfully but I'm getting there! Very Happy

Sarge McSarge, Currently I am skiing Mount Hutt. I leave tomorrow for Coronet Peak so I will get a report up for Mt Hutt in the next few days.
ski holidays
NomadicBoo wrote:
.....5th day today and still a good fit and no pain.....

rolling eyes Obviously too big then wink
latest report
spyderjon, Not as tight a fit as yours, but I think CEM must have had to melt you down and pour you into your boots wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy