Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why should I ski in the USA?

Poster: A snowHead
arv wrote:
e.g., everything within the resort boundary (apart from closures obviously) is skiable and patrolled. Doesn't make for a great comparison.

Oh yes, everything that isn't specifically excluded is fair game. And that can add up to a lot of terrain.

And with most insurance policies you're covered (within the boundary tape), no "grey" off piste issues you may get elsewhere. What a lovely idea.

John.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
e.g., as you say, the list of negatives is long. Many of these are half-truths put about by people with an axe to grind - dislike of US foreign policy, jealousy of people with more money than them, properties or businesses in the Alps, etc - and many people ignorantly close their minds and choose to listen to the prejudice. But you should try (almost) everything in life at least once: if you haven't been, go. If you have a genuinely bad time, you're either incredibly unlucky or a right miserable ***. Having been, you might find that you still prefer Europe; if so, that's OK. Either way, the experience will broaden your mind and your skiing in equal measure.

North America and the Alps offer such a different skiing experience that, IMV, every experienced skier should try both continents at least once.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, thanks for the advice. Sharing a room is not an option. I'm sure I could find people to travel with though. Like I said, it's a few years off as I can't get affordable travel insurance for outside of the EU at the moment. But something to think about for the future.

As Jonny Jones says above, it's got to be experienced.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, if you DIY it you don't pay single supplements on rooms but then you would have to pay for a double room unless you found somewhere that sells singles.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv, same difference surely?

I remember from years ago travelling in the States (not skiing) that single rooms are almost non-existent. Bizarre really, surely they have single people?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, I think they must. You can get single/cheap rooms at a couple of the hostels in Banff which aren't that bad at all. I assume this is the same for other resorts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
e.g., have skiied NA 6 times, and it's a very different experience, so give it a try.

You can save far more by going independant in the US than you do doing the same in Europe imo - if you fancy doing that try VRBO on the net for accomadation.

If you don't like the sound of a queue at immigration avoid ORD been through there 7 times in the last few years and it's always a bl00dy nightmare (missed a connection last year even though I had a 2 1/2 hour lay over)!

Where ever you go get a car - the car is king in NA and there are generally a few ski hills bunched together. Car hire is cheap I had a Chrysler Aspen V8 SUV out of LAX last week for the price of a Corsa out of Geneva, fuels cheap again too (in the US anyway) so it cost me less to run than a Corsa in the Alps.

The food gets really irritating after a few days, it's cold and the same everywhere, can't explain it - it's just rubbish. Grabbing a quick chilli etc on the hill though is quick and well priced.

Was in Mammoth last week and you could still ski to base at the main lodge, it was open on the weekends but shut mid week (not enough punters) so late skiing dependant on resort is another plus. Drove to Mammoth out of Yosemite's East gate and the Tioga pass had only been open a few days!

When it came to the crunch though and we were getting serious we bought in Chamonix not Breckenridge (our fave in the US). Why? Because I can drive to the Alps, or if I fly it's 4-5 hrs door to door for £35-£70 return not 18hrs and £350-£500.

Shutting up now - as the quick reply box is doing something very weird - flicking about, & it's giving me a headache Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, isn't four weeks the statuatory minimum now?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
midgetbiker, that figure of four weeks includes bank holidays I think
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, I knew it was 4 weeks with no obligation to pay for stats, but thought it had been increased to 4 weeks plus stats.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker, nbt, complicated holiday rules but I get three weeks plus five additional days. It is possible to take two weeks together but it requires special permission, usually people do it for weddings/honeymoons or long haul holidays. Maximum of ten days within a six month period. It is also possible to take up to three of the days together, or even to attach them to a week, so 10 day holidays are plausible. Nothing last minute though. Even a day's leave needs at least a month's notice, any more than 2 days needs three months' notice.

I do work frequent late evenings, some weekends and even bank holidays at times, as deadlines dictate and we're never ever paid overtime. Sounds rough to some but it's standard practice in the design industry. I guess we don't do it for the benefits.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, I have been to the USA skiing by myself, I just stayed in motels which charged by the room.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what on earth are you designing that has such shitty working conditions? Our crayon boys are getting a much better deal than that!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps queen bodecia forgot to mention what time she gets to the office? Wink

Although I can't begin to imagine the one month's notice for a day of leave. Better not get sick then. Or the office might close its door?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, Sick leave doesn't come out of holidays here.
ski holidays
nbt, pretty much the same conditions wherever I've worked in the design industry. It doesn't bother me, I love being a designer and I don't do it for the benefits. Compared to some professions it's more than fair anyway. Imagine being a teacher and only getting time off in school holidays? I'd hate that.

abc is right too, I never get to work before 9.30am. I'm so not a morning person. Very Happy

Obviously, sick leave is another matter, getting freelancers at short notice can be quite an issue so it usually means the rest of us have to do extra work to cover. Hence why holiday leave has to be booked in advance so that workloads and extra resource can be planned. Pretty sure that would be the same in most jobs.
ski holidays
Quote:

Pretty sure that would be the same in most jobs

You mean jobs in the same industry.

In my office, if I get sick, work simply left un-done. Laughing

Funny thing is, if I'm IN the office, my customers wanted it right away, claiming their business can't wait another day. But if I'm not there? Well, they'd rather wait for a day than to have someone else do it! rolling eyes

(Mind you, others do know how to do it, it's just it suddenly become not so urgent any more! Wink )

So, I take that as a hint and take my vacation any time it suits me, because I KNOW work can wait. Like they say "it's easier to be forgiven than to get permission"!
ski holidays
e.g. wrote:
Good to hear other peoples views, especially those that have actually been. Looks like 10-14 days in Canada would be best then. abc, I can just about tell the difference, ice is a lot harder when I fall over!

queen bodecia, Crystal offer transfers to most places. Also quote km's of piste for most NA resorts, although not sure how good a comparison this is I found it interesting.

If Canada go to Whistler. But not in the peak season. Then you'll experience empty pistes (more then 200 runs), still winter conditions and best of NA if not the world's skiing (IMHO).
This year, starting from the middle of april ski pass in Whistler was 199 cad$ for two months!
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
arv, same difference surely?

I remember from years ago travelling in the States (not skiing) that single rooms are almost non-existent. Bizarre really, surely they have single people?
I think it's because the US idea of a single room is something the size of a small aircraft hangar with at least one, preferably two, super dooper hyper king size bed in it. Apart from the odd B&B establishment (and the Waldorf Astoria, oddly), I don't think that I've ever had a room in the states with fewer than two beds.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 5-06-09 13:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
All generalisations:

Positives:
Great snow and it stays better for longer
If it's inside the rope, you're pretty much allowed to ski it
Easier to do fly/drive
Cheap and roomy accom.
3 of 4, 8 of 10 day etc. type lift pass options
Lift line organisation
Much less crowded
Tree skiing (tree line is higher)

Negatives:
The travel. Let's be honest, it's a pain
Not many big areas
Lift pass prices higher
Less atmospheric
Food (though you won't have to queue for long !)
Can get places where 5 runs are pretty much the same run, each separated by one line of trees
Very little ski in/ski out
ski holidays
Further +

Within boundary all recuse, ski patrol, first aid free (included in list pass)
Outside boundary SAR often free (Local county or volunteer orgn)

Further -

When you do get to hospital no EHIC & big bills (if not insured)
Starbucks/Tim Hortons fatigue
ski holidays
666 wrote:
If it's inside the rope, you're pretty much allowed to ski it

For me, this is the plus above all others - tough skiing that's patrolled at the end of the day, avalanche controlled and has major non-visible hazards such as hidden cliffs clearly marked. We went to Zermatt this year and, while we generally had a great time, we were dismayed by the lack of challenge to the on-piste skiing. Even the yellow itineraries felt tame - although they were certainly fabulous runs and well worth skiing. We could have gone off piste with a guide, but, apart from the cost, skiing with a stranger isn't the same as keeping to your own family group.
latest report
One thing people often forget when they talk about the jet lag is that in my experience it doesnt affect the actual skiing very much at all. You just wake up earlier before you go skiing and then go to bed (Very) early for a couple of nights. What it does affect for me is the recovery after the holiday I feel completely wiped out for a week afterwards. If you have a couple of extra days to take come home and recover before work.
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
One thing people often forget when they talk about the jet lag is that in my experience it doesnt affect the actual skiing very much at all. You just wake up earlier before you go skiing and then go to bed (Very) early for a couple of nights. What it does affect for me is the recovery after the holiday I feel completely wiped out for a week afterwards. If you have a couple of extra days to take come home and recover before work.

I agree, but my advice if you have a couple of extra days would be to ski a couple of extra days and recover in work Smile
snow report
anyway coming to my conclusion..
+ i would say - go for the NA if you wanna become more experienced skier for less money, without hiring the ski guides for 350 EUR/day and all stuff like that. because it's quite safe!
- if you feel more addicted to the red/blue groomers, stay in Europe. because its too similar in order to make only a long trip just for skiing.
latest report
cbr7, Possibly one of the best in a nutshell arguments I've seen. The only thing to add is that when the Yanks & Canucks get really experienced they come to Europe for the big lines and the real touring.
snow report
cbr7 wrote:
+ i would say - go for the NA if you wanna become more experienced skier for less money, without hiring the ski guides for 350 EUR/day and all stuff like that. because it's quite safe!
- if you feel more addicted to the red/blue groomers, stay in Europe. because its too similar in order to make only a long trip just for skiing.

brillian summary!
snow report
I also agree. The in bounds off piste skiing is a great place to practice before heading to the back country. Great tree skiing and powder but knowing that the ski patrol has the avalanche situation under control makes it a great step on the way to the wilderness. If you need to find a new piste each run just go to the European mega resorts and battle the crowds. NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

crossing the pond to go skiing is one heck of a journey for only a week's holiday

It's all relative. It surprises me that people will think nothing of driving 15-20 hours driving to the Alps from northern England but will gripe at a (comparatively relaxed) 10 hour flight to the Rockies. We once went by coach to Austria and - having zig zagged across England to pick up passengers at every bus station between Darlington and the Channel - took 12 hours to reach Dover and 25 hours to reach Mayrhofen! Compared to that, the US or Canada is just a pop. As mentioned above, I find a long haul flight very relaxing. Reading, listening to music and watching videos is a good build up to our first lift to last lift and ski until we drop approach!

Due to our group involving a teacher - and exorbitant European prices for flights and package hols - we are off to Fernie for a week next Feb half term. We'd prefer longer there - and have done 10-14 day Nth America trips - but that's the way it is. We had a fantastic week in Banff a few years ago and it never crossed our minds that it wasn't worth the long trip. Once you're there you soon forget about the journey. Can't wait!
snow report
mountainaddict,

Annualy I do between 1 to 2 trips to the Swiss, French, German, Austria and some of the Italian Alps. It is always 10 to 11 hours driving. I use the Newcastle ferry, sleep on the boat and start the journey at Amsterdam between 9:30 to 10am fresh in the moring. 627 miles later I would be in Mayrhofen. The driving time is 9 h 15m. The rest is stopping for fuel and meals.

I suppose driving to the Alps is same as flying across the pond. It is relax and visable with a two-week trip. Going one week can take a lot of enjoyment out.
latest report
mountainaddict, personally I wouldn't drive to the Alps, travelling solo it would cost easily twice as much as flying not to mention the time factor. But I can see why large groups or families would load up their large cars and do it. Flying from a local airport I can be at a European resort within 6 hours. I don't even think I'd get to Scotland that quick!
snow conditions
queen bodecia, you'd need to be doing something seriously wrong (or walking) not to make Scotland in 6 hours Wink
latest report
I suppose flying to Aberdeen and picking up a hire car it might be possible.
snow report
cbr7, nice summary
Quote:

Thinking I'll stick to the groomed red/black runs in Europe (uktrailmonster, can start smilling now.) The standard of piste grooming and the empty runs are what appeal in the USA. Not going to rule out North America, just that the travelling is still a big negative. The idea of this thread was to get a discussion going to hear other peoples views and see how my "pre-conceived views" stacked up. Some are generalisations, some can also apply in Europe and others look to be accurate. It's going on the long term to do list along with Australia/NZ (think how much I'll like that journey!)
snow report
queen bodecia,
Quote:

I suppose flying to Aberdeen and picking up a hire car it might be possible.

or Inverness on Easyjet
snow conditions
e.g. wrote:
the travelling is still a big negative.
To each his own, but we've travelled to Calgary many times, as well as LA and Denver, to ski, each time withkids from 4 upwards, and it's ever been a problem. It takes a day of your life, but so (more or less) does travelling to most resorts in Europe. The jet lag is a bit of a pain, but not huge deal (in our experience). I wouldn't let the prospect of the travel put you off, unless you know that 9+ hour flights disagree with with you.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 8-06-09 14:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
queen bodecia,

Don't know where you live in Derbyshire but there are 3 Scottish ski areas within 5hrs drive of Manchester. This bit of Derbyshire is about 20mins away: http://www.leagueofgentlemen.co.uk/newfindhadfield.shtml

Aberdeen is far from being the most convenient Scottish city for skiing. Inverness, Glasgow & maybe even Dundee are better. The point is that you can start the journey anytime, not going whenever the planes do.
ski holidays
I can see the travel time is really more excuse than real, considering how long it takes for many to get to the Alps.

The real issue is simply cost. Cost of the flight. Hence the consensus of doing 2+ weeks instead of just one. To spread the cost of the flight over more days.

The Jetlag is a reall but much smaller issue. I deal with a similar jetlag flying to Europe fom New York. While it may be somewhat inconvenient, it doesn't really affect my skiing. From a holiday's stand point, it's a somewhat bigger issue. It makes it difficult to enjoy the holiday when you're half asleep at dinner. (I do wonder if the food complains may have something to do with the sleep deprived brain? Wink )

As for the skiing itself, to each of his own. And when in doubt, refer to the summery by cbr7.Smile
latest report
what...snow, fair enough. I've only ever driven to Edinburgh and ridden motorcycle to Stranraer, both took around 5-6 hours. The Scottish resorts look a lot further than either of those on a map. My best mate flies from East Midlands to Aberdeen a fair bit as her sister lives there. I guess I could check out train fares to Scotland, that might work out cheaper and quicker than driving.
latest report
Have to agree with abc, about travel being an excuse, it doesnt take much longer to fly to NA than it does to Europe wink all thats different is the jetlag. This is soon sorted by a couple of good days skiing Toofy Grin

you should really be aking yourself ' Why shouldnt I ski the USA ' - if you can come up with valid points, dont go.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy