Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica TC3 boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello folks can you help? I have "happened upon" a pair of barely used "Tecnica TC3" boots - does anybody know anything about them? How old they are (late 90s maybe?); stiffness/flex index?; what standard of skier they would suit? are they for men or women?

Or should I just stick 'em on eBay and stop wasting my time?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah, the good ol' Tecnica TC3. I remember them as late as '98.

The flex index on these was comparable to, maybe just stiffer than the current Rival 8.

The early versions (c.a. 1993) did not have a little soft rubber insert at the toe and heel called AVS, the later ones did, so that will help you date them. The colour of the insert will also give you a bit of a hint as to whether you have a women's or men's model- the women's ones had pink or purple trim.

Fit on these is for a high-volume foot, especially around the instep area. Folks with '6th toe' problems or duck feet might still need a bit of space laterally. Folk with narrow feet really need not apply (I've been told they feel like bathtubs by Rossi or Salomon wearers).

Some of the things Tecnica did with this boot I find completely wrongheaded, although I am certain they were considered advanced thinking at the time.

The boot cuff tilt adjustment (labeled 'CANT') is fine in itself. Provided you know how to adjust it.

The arch support adjustment screw is probably in the wrong place for your foot; rip it out, put in silicone sealant and get new insoles.

The liners on these are very basic foam, have very little heel pocket definition, and (real sticking point for me) incorporate the power strap. In other words, if you remove the liner, you remove the power strap. The foam also tends to smell bad.

The verdict: Unless you have a high-volume foot, need something affordable, and are willing to experiment with do-it-yourself modifications I would look elsewhere, to a modern boot fitted by a fitter.

If you have further questions, I can probably hunt down one of the several pairs I've modified for my own use over the years and attempt to answer them. You'll definitely want a Tecnica adjustment tool, a tricorne bit of metal adapted to turn the various fasteners. The slots on them are milled too large for general-use screwdrivers to fit properly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow! Thank you: that was a far more comprehensive answer than I was expecting! This is a very useful site...

You seem to know your subject - are you a boot-fitter? Where can you get a "tecnica adjustment tool"? S&R? EllisB? Or would I have to go direct to Tecnica themselves?

Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ice perv, the Tecnica adjustment tool is the same as is bundled with current boots. Any stockist should have a few spares about.

Some time ago now I worked for a shop that sold these, and they were the only alternative then (in my width) to square-toed Koflach boots that flexed like bricks. The same shop also stocked custom foam liners, so I kept the TC3 shells even after they were outclassed by modern designs. As those aftermarket liners are the warmest I have, I still keep the boots for Canadian trips. The biggest loss is accuracy- they are not so good for drills where you ski on one foot. The ramshackle ghetto modified look is a fashion statement in itself, of course.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, (or anyone else) not sure if you are still watching this topic, but do you know anything about the "Explosion 8"? An old model by Tecnica I believe. Do you know what standard of skier it was for? How stiff it was? If you don't know the flex index is there a current Tecnica model it equates to?
I also hear they were a narrower fit that Tecnica's current high-volume range: true or false?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the ice perv, don't have the catalogue anymore but the brain dredges up a fairly stiff (100Nm?) 1999-2000 expert level boot, with the Explosion 10 being the consumer-race model, both in a lower volume last than the high-volume TI/Innotec series of the same period, all quite more sophisticated in flex zone and liner design than the old TC3.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy