Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To buy equipment or not? (and what equipment to buy?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I've been skiing since last year. I'm about 6' tall and weight 180lbs. I really feel I've improved my skills this year and I was considering buying my own skis. I'm not quite sure what my skill level would be considered, but I have a done a single diamond very cautiosly, but normaly I stick to the blue slopes on the backside. Currently I rent skis, so what differences would I notice over the rentals? The rental skis I use are made by rossignol, and I assume its a very lowend model made to last a season and then be tossed. If getting my own skis at this point would be beneficial, how much should I spend and what kind should I get? I like a little of everything, a bit of carving, but I don't always carve. Also, I like to do jumps, dropoffs and dropins and I may even hit the terain park if I start to feel more comfortable with jumping. Dual tips would be a nice thing to have, but its not a requirement. The conditions in my area (SC Pennsylvania) are not the greatest... Most of the snow is man made plus the slopes can get very icy, we do occasionaly get good powder... I have found that the rental skis do not bite well in ice, so it would be important to have something that could grab well in the ice, instead of just sliding. I am thinking I should get an all-mountain ski to get maximum versatility, but what would you reccomend? One other thing I'm not sure about is what length ski would suit me best. My understanding is that its better to have too short a ski than too long of one. IThe rentals I use are 160s, but I would probably go for a 170 when I bought my own. Does that sound right?
Thanks,
Matt.

Edit: forgot to ask about lengths...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Matt,
Stick with rentals for a while. You can rent what ever ski suites the condions ie. Piste carvers when its a little icey, fat skis for powder.
Let the rental guys select the length dependant upon your ability level and the ski. Once you become confident you will proberly want
look at a ski which suites the majority of your skiing. Remember once you have your own skis you can still rent should you the need/cpnditions change.

Example I ski on Volkl Vertigo motion, an excellent all round ski. However I still rent a fatter ski when the powder is fresh and deep.

Important.
Make sure you get the boots right first!

Cheers

Bob
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well, where I go there is only one type of rental ski... So, I don't have much choice of what to use. They do offer equipment demos... but most of the demos arehigh end skis above my budget and skill level... So that does not help me much either.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vulcan, which SC Pa resorts do you ski?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only been to Liberty, but I'm probably going to hit White Tail and Round Top at some point.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My suggestion is to buy soon. If your rent like 10 times you could have paid to be skiing in all the same equiptment Sad It's also so nice to avoid long rental lines - not to mention that it's nice to be able to get used to the consistant feel of your own, always the same equiptment.
As for what to buy, I would say aim for a slightly fat ski that is supposed to be for someone at a bit of a higher skiing level than you are currently at. If you can't demo the skis, the best thing to do is to find recomendations about a good nearby shop. Remember that cheap is not necessarily bad, though very cheap almost certainly is.
If you don't mind spending a bit of cash and want a twin-tip that will be good for jumps and drops as well as some carving, my friend has been very satisfied with his Rossi Scratch skis. However, I would wait for a recommendation from one of the members who knows better what they're talking about Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vulcan so we don't pollute the global forum much longer, snowHead rolling eyes Laughing care to join us over on www.dcski.com?

I don't think much of their rental equipment either and you are entirely correct about the dearth of choice. Ponder's advice is well-taken, but you really need boots first.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks, I'll see you there comprex.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also, buying soon doesn't really matter. I have a night club card I paid 250.00 which gets me lift and rental at any of the 3 resorts I mentioned. Its a very awesome deal.
Thanks for your help eveyone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vulcan, welcome to snowheads.

How often do you ski at the moment? What are your turns like? As comprex says I would get boots first and then move onto skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy