Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski all season (2010) in the Swiss Alps - For Free?

Poster: A snowHead
Guys,
Wow cant belive how personal and heated this got?

Masque, you are fully entitled to you opinion and to share your experience and the potential pitfalls with all on the forum of what could go wrong but the flogging of a dead horse is going a bit far.

What is on offer here is a casual arrangement for between two parties where one gets cheap and cheerful baby/house sitting and cooking and the other gets cheap accommodation and time on snow. I personally do not belive there are any laws being broken or any individuals human rights are being trampled on here

If both parties find this acceptable and can reach an accord on how to proceed so be it. Not sure why the thread should be pulled as no one can definitively prove the legal implications if any of this agreement under swiss law. I think NIXMAP has been very clever in realising that plenty of people will do anything to get a season on snow and here is a chance to do it for free with none of the pains of working for a TO

Looking after the kids parent have a right to choose who babysits there kids be they qualified or not I know plenty of people who use 16-20 year old girls to babysit there kids every weekend.

Masque,Just because you personally had a negative experience it does not mean everyone out there treats the serfs in the same manner Very Happy

Really cant believe it took 12 pages of this to get to some sort of conclusion
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
13 pages, long thread. my opinion ..... well i think personally monkey nuts have the edge over peanuts but what do i know? wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Axsman, Me ... Lawyers! Shocked I respect they have a very important role to play in society as we know it ( and the pickles real ones have dragged me out of !) but struggle with the negativity of endless 'argument' Shocked and that their success seems to be a function of staying power and staving off inevitable boredom wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Axsman wrote:
achilles, Agenterre, It's no wonder the world is going to the lawyers! Laughing

While those of us 50 and over will probably give some thought to all the 'what could go wrong' possibilities before doing anything, my guess is that many, somewhat younger folk, might just think WTF and do it anyway.

Life is risk, sliding down mountains is risk, staying in hotels is risk, paragliding is risk, body boarding is risk, sunbathing is risk etc etc etc. should we let worries over risk/insurance/regulation prevent us doing anything but sitting at home by the TV?

Trying to avoid having to jump through all the hoops and bureaucracy surrounding taxation (who doesn't relish beating the tax man?), insurance (what should be insured against what exactly?), ski instruction (a closed shop if ever there was one) and some not yet introduced, somewhat contraversial, and possibly unworkable rules on babysitting (they are talking about aunts and uncles needing to be 'scrutinised' by the state before being allowed to babysit FFS!) doesn't seem like the crime of the century to me.

IMHO it's up to nixmap to judge the suitability of candidates to look after his house and family, and up to the candidates to judge whether he's a scrooge or a pussycat.

Good luck to them all! snowHead

as a lawyer, it depresses me that people feel the need to get so legalistic over what will hopefully be an informal arrangement between 2 sensible adults

i like the term wikilawyer, BTW, and plan to use it liberally and in as condescending a fashion as possible Cool so for that I have nixmap to thank
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ordhan wrote:
......What is on offer here is a casual arrangement for between two parties where one gets cheap and cheerful baby/house sitting and cooking and the other gets cheap accommodation and time on snow....

Or a crooked deal to avoid paying for insurance, tax, and the 'wikilaw' covering child protection and professional ski instruction. Depends on your viewpoint.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, It's neither unusual or unlawful for small value quid-pro-quo casual arrangements to be completely safe and risk free. However this is a long-term situation that can easily be assessed values in the thousands and has quantifiable risks.
The OP's reticence to even discuss on a metaphorical or casual basis, the insurance and liability aspect of the deal is very worrying as is his laissez-faire toward acknowledging his obligations as an employer. It's taken considerable effort to squeeze a drop of information from his obdurate rock.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The OP's reticence to even discuss on a metaphorical or casual basis, the insurance and liability aspect of the deal is very worrying as is his laissez-faire toward acknowledging his obligations as an employer.

He is only an employer if he is paying you for your role which in this case he is not!

achilles, Probably a little from coloum A a little from Coloum B but with big benefits to both parties.

As snowHead are we going to be so synical to view every attempt attempt "you scratch my back ill scratch yours" as an attempt to avoid tax, legal obligations the world is not full of wicked witches in gingerbread houses there are some nice people out there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordhan, I don't think anybody would want to stop good natured barter; I do think nixmap's offer stinks. I do not think he is one of the nice people out there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
Ordhan, I don't think anybody would want to stop good natured barter; I do think nixmap's offer stinks. I do not think he is one of the nice people out there.

I enjoy good natured banter but the sort of comments here were imo way way over the top.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, the comment you quoted was not meant to be good-natured banter. The thrust of debate in this thread has become quite clear. If you don't like it, don't read it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ordhan wrote:

Really cant believe it took 12 pages of this to get to some sort of conclusion

I didnt believe it either
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is an offer for goodness sake. If one doesn't like it, then don't apply. Seems a perfectly reasonable arrangement to me and I really can't see what all the fuss is about or why nixmap has been given such a rough ride.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, I don't think snowheads should become a safe haven for dodgy deals. You are quite entitled to think differently, of course.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles,
Quote:

I don't think snowheads should become a safe haven for dodgy deals.

I am presuming you have some solid evidence to back up that statment? As it is implying there is somthing inappropriate going on here?

We are all entitled to our opinion but we are not entitled to throw acusations around that are unfounded and have no basis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ordhan wrote:
He is only an employer if he is paying you for your role which in this case he is not!

That would depend on who you talk to, in my case it was decided that three weeks was the limit. Had it been during the ski season itself they would have made an assessment. The rub is calculating the worth of 4-5 days worth of ski resort time against the calculable value of the professional standards and type of service stated. But of course we have to add the high days and holidays to the work mix and then the free days reduce down to 3-4 so that the value of the holiday time accommodation will almost certainly be exceeded by the tasks in hand . . . It is a job and that ski time and accommodation is pay. The more that Nixmap talks it up the greater the possible assessment to its value. I'm talking against myself in that sense, however I do not believe that just those few days are adequate recompense for the work time, the professional duties and additional expenses need from the applicants.

It's when something goes wrong, that's when the Swiss will get interested because there are a number of labour laws (local; and federal) and conditions that this is trying to run around. and it's not just Nixmap who will pay for that.

This offer is a wrong'un and that reflects on Nixmap himself. Pretty much the same thoughts were expressed on Natives, where from the gist of this thread
http://www.natives.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18019&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=81d55b2cd8c40f9653623319e97fa8b8
he had a similar ad removed.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, bang on!

achilles, There is an implied assumption that this deal is 'dodgy'. I haven't yet been convinced that its anything other than a genuine offer: 'stay at my place for free in return for doing some chores' which is not in my book inherently dodgy at all.

Ordhan, Agreed. (although the more unfounded accusations thrown around, the more fun IMHO Twisted Evil Laughing )
latest report
I wouldn't object to either the original "offer" or the subsequent argument if it could be an open debate about a proposition to match up somebody "cash rich and time poor" with some with complementary characteristics. That's an interesting idea.

Providing details only to applicants might be perfectly legitimate and normal for a job advert, but not to a thread which is supposed by definition (given the rules of the forum) to be nothing of the sort. If we are supposed to discuss the offer here, we need details. If not, and it's just an advertisement, then it shouldn't be here.

However, it's obviously been a thread which has entertained many people and got them thinking/arguing, even if debating with nixmap is like trying to throw darts at a marshmallow on a string.
ski holidays
Quote:
debating with nixmap is like trying to throw darts at a marshmallow on a string.

Laughing Laughing I've never heard that one before.
snow report
achilles wrote:
The thrust of debate in this thread has become quite clear. If you don't like it, don't read it.

It has.

One person (now you make two) being very rude about another poster, who has been nothing but polite, on the basis of assumptions about what he hasn't posted.

While it does seem likely that at least some of those assumptions are valid, they are still only assumptions, not known facts.
snow report
pam w wrote:
even if debating with nixmap is like trying to throw darts at a marshmallow on a string.

I love that turn of phrase Smile
snow conditions
employment Show phonetics
noun [S or U]
1 when someone is paid to work for a company, individual or organization: There is no tangible pay here therfore it is not a contract of employment

2job (EMPLOYMENT) Show phonetics
noun [C]
the regular work which a person does to earn money:
Again the person is not earning money therefor not a job!

This is a mutual BI Party agreement I used the example earlier of baysitter not regulated or controled but perfectly acceptable in most states.

Masque, Your personal experience does not apply to every last person who own or operates a chalet in the alps unless everyone you have ever done work for is a shady charachter and if that is the case I would start to look at my own decision process or examine myself in the mirror.

Axsman, Most of them about Land Rovers Alphas and Americans wink Twisted Evil the truth always ruins a good yarn Laughing
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
.....One person (now you make two) being very rude about another poster, who has been nothing but polite......

rolling eyes Hey ho. I was going to bin this thread, but since it's you wink

Politeness is no measure of merit Very Happy

Quote:
Stanford sat in a DEA conference room, impeccably dressed and polite
snow report
Masque,
Quote:

This offer is a wrong'un and that reflects on Nixmap himself. Pretty much the same thoughts were expressed on Natives, where from the gist of this thread
http://www.natives.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18019&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=81d55b2cd8c40f9653623319e97fa8b8
he had a similar ad removed.

Ifirc correctly he has had two ads removed from Natives, I did suggest to admin on snowHeads that his ads were removed from here as well but they were allowed to remain.
I note from the link that the Natives site admin had also done some research on who nixmap is wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 12-08-09 15:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
.....One person (now you make two) being very rude about another poster, who has been nothing but polite......

rolling eyes Hey ho. I was going to bin this thread, but since it's you wink

Politeness is no measure of merit Very Happy

True.

Otherwise con-men wouldn't exist.

But rudeness tends to detract from reasoned argument, while politeness tends to add to it.
ski holidays
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=circle%20jerk
snow report
achilles wrote:
jbob, the comment you quoted was not meant to be good-natured banter. The thrust of debate in this thread has become quite clear. If you don't like it, don't read it.

I am fine with debate its constant personal abuse I don't like, that and being told what I should read.
snow report
Anyway all is neatly summed up after 13 pages and somehow I have a feeling that the same offer will not be made available for next season Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:
pam w wrote:
Just because I don't plan to go to La Rosiere next season won't stop me giving my views about it to anyone who is enquiring about it, either. Nobody's forcing you to read any of it. What on earth would be the point of this thread (or most others) if people weren't giving their views?

rolling eyes

The good age old argument:it's on an internet forum so it requires an opinion to be expressed...

No it doesn't..

The OP never asked for comments on the deal offered, or his lifestyle...He asked people interested by said deal to make contact...

Not "required", but it is certainly encouraged.

I think Pam is doing the OP a favour if nothing else. By making the work arrangements apparent to any reader of the post, more people are likely to be interested in working. Its the difference between posting an advertisement for staff, and posting one for staff with details. Not everyone is going to leap out at every oppertunity the see, some people need to have the right information in front of them before they make a decision.

Edit: this would be from the first page... Madeye-Smiley didnt see the other 12...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 12-08-09 16:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, m'dear chap. I don't think I have been personally abusive of nixmap; discussion of his offer is another thing. Nor did I tell you what you should not look at. On the contrary, I pointed out that you had an option not to.
latest report
achilles wrote:
jbob, m'dear chap. I don't think I have been personally abusive of nixmap; discussion of his offer is another thing. Nor did I tell you what you should not look at. On the contrary, I pointed out that you had an option not to.

I agree I wasn't referring to you as I don't think you have been abusive at all, which is more than can be said for much of the bile that has been posted on this thread which is worse than anything I have seen on snowheads before.
snow report
jbob, If you're talking about me and mine then I must hesitantly hold up a hand, but it was done with purpose and for a short period to draw as much information as possible into the thread further from my point of entry. nixmap would have gone a long way to defuse those had he not portrayed a metaphorically cheesy, deliberate insouciance to all and any query about particulars. From that I feel no reticence in labeling his OP wih 'Animus nocendi'.
I don't have an issue with the concept of this arrangement but in this particular situation, I believe the application if fundamentally flawed, dangerous to the applicant and damaging to this forum.
ski holidays
Seriously now, I've found a load of stuff about Swiss contract law which I think sorts this issue out once and for all.

Swiss contract law explained.
ski holidays
I have pm'd a mod and asked that this thread be pruned and then locked

enough is enough. Sad
ski holidays
Indeed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy