Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski all season (2010) in the Swiss Alps - For Free?

Poster: A snowHead
ChrisWo wrote:
Oh god, it's all gone legal again...

There's only one way to settle this. Nixmap, I'll have to come out and visit...

Actually a couple of snowhead applicants have already done this. Smart move I thought.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

It is a contractual mess imv
A bit difficult to say, imv, when not a single person indulging in this speculation has seen the documentation. Laughing

quite, but nixmap has already said that he is unable to define the amount of work required for the 'free' accom. Add to that 'free' accom is offered for 'free' work it adds a bit of doubt as to the nature of the consideration/acceptance on both sides , so based upon what has been described it is certainly a 'potential contractual mess' unless the fundamental terms of offer/acceptance and consideration are defined properly. When and if nixmap defines the hours of work then it will probably become a 'contract', but probably still a mess Very Happy

edit
Hurtle wrote:
... not a single person indulging in this speculation has seen the documentation. Laughing
- does it even require 'documentation' wink Blush

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-08-09 23:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the world is full of wikilawyers these days.

At least Pam speaks from professional experience.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 11-08-09 23:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nixmap, Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nixmap, what are you actually offering again ? Blush
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oh for goodness sake RayScoops go to bed. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nixmap, count me in, but I may do a runner after the first five week days just before you arrive for the first weekend, and as we would have an unenforceable agreement (rather than a contract Little Angel ) then thanks for the free holiday wink

bed time now Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 12-08-09 0:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nixmap wrote:

pam w talks loads of sense but she is not, I think, a lawyer. I could be wrong, but I think that actual lawyers are steering well clear of these nebulous and speculative discussions - though they are a fun read (that is until they get too pseudo-lawyerly). If it hadn't been for your anklebiters, btw, I'd have been v tempted to apply - my instinct tells me that the conditions you're offering are probably not too outrageous at all. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
nixmap wrote:

pam w talks loads of sense but she is not, I think, a lawyer.

Well she is speaking mostly about the chores involved and their relative worth against the accom, entirely subjective opinions of course, we dont happen to agree, but at least coming from experience, rather than wikipedia, or pointless vitriol.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops wrote:
nixmap, count me in, but I may do a runner after the first five week days just before you arrive for the first weekend, and as we would have an unenforceable agreement (rather than a contract Little Angel ) then thanks for the free holiday wink

You might,
but once you get here, with the snow falling and empty slopes, and you work out that your staying in a really nice place, with freindly people, for very little.

Then you think of going back to the rain in wales, where it gets dark at 3pm, nothing to look forward to but another grey week, in the same job you had for every other grey week, of the year.

..you might not.

I wouldnt worry the skiings rubbish and almost as overcrowded as france.... see? completely tracked out snowHead

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seems it's been a bit busy whilst I've been travlin' and some will realise how these sorts of informal arrangements can go titsup.

nixmap, I see you're down to displaying your paucity of practical experience in keeping a property clean and maintained for guests or for that matter cooking for them over a three day period. Either that or you're content to live in a tip and eat Fray Bentos' best. All your current downplaying does is illustrate your economy with the truth and dissembling in your original advert and following posts . . .

It's a job(s)
The remuneration is not proportionate (quiet pistes not withstanding and can be found at hundreds of resorts . . . like La Rosiere wink )
Legally it's as fragrant as a two week dead lobster

Your geniality here does not mask the fundamental disrespect of the ad to this community Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Actually a couple of snowhead applicants have already done this. Smart move I thought.

Absolutely essential, I'd have thought...I don't think I'd agree to working for a season without seeing what my 'pay' looked like Smile

Though having said that, I've previously agreed to work a season without even knowing where so maybe I'm just more fussy than I was...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nixmap wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

You might,
but once you get here, with the snow falling and empty slopes, and you work out that your staying in a really nice place, with freindly people, for very little.....

For me these two posts sum up the whole debate. It's an informal arrangement allowing someone who values time in the alps ahead of money, to provide a service in exchange for somewhere nice to live. If they have some spare cash they can ski quite a bit for relatively little work, or if not they could get a bar job as well to earn a living while still skiing more than I will next season.

There are no manacles, power is balanced (nixmap is trusting some of his most valuable possessions to the good will of his 'serfs'). IMHO all the employment/tax/regulatory foldirol is irrelevant to the deal. I'm certain that I wouldn't let fear of possible tax repercussions (IF the authorities learned of it, and IF they cared enough to come after me, and IF they could prove their case) stop me going for it, and nor I believe would a great many others who would be more interested in powder days than tax returns.

Masque you raised some good points , in your own inimitable style, but I think you've lost this one. nixmap has shown himself in a good light , provided pages of entertainment and probably got himself the deal he was looking for - good luck to him. For me he hasn't done anything THAT terrible, and does not deserve the level of vitriol you are sending his way.

All IMHO of course, and WTF do I know?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Axsman, well said - exactly my view also.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:

ditto
snow report
dz4d1v wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

ditto

I'm signing up for that too
snow report
Axsman, dz4d1v, cathy, I guess I may have to retire as gracelessly as I can wink However I think a dangerous precedent has been established by the OP and I hope that he'll reconsider his methodology. He also needs to be aware that this dog's not dead, just sleeping.
snow report
Masque, Laughing
snow conditions
Axsman wrote:
........It's an informal arrangement allowing someone who values time in the alps ahead of money, to provide a service in exchange for somewhere nice to live.......

Or it's an informal arrangement in order to avoid taxation, insurance, and the laws concerning ski instruction and the protection of children (for which it looks like Swiss law could be changing).
ski holidays
Quote:

Or it's an informal arrangement in order to avoid taxation, insurance, and the laws concerning ski instruction and the protection of children

achilles, Well done! 12 pages of argument about a job advert summed up in one line Very Happy
snow report
Careful everyone. He's a wizard.
snow conditions
An informal arrangement or a badly formed contract of employment ? If it goes backside up (apartment burns down, child gets injured etc whilst the responsibility of the employee) the lack of formality will be most interesting. Whilst the legal stuff is bit of a laugh on here unless the rights and obligations are clearly defined it could all end up in tears.
snow report
My points have been made from a basis of "amateur" experience of owning an apartment in the Alps, doing some (black economy) cleaning at weekends for friends with apartments in the same development and 7 seasons of having our place often full of friends and relatives. Plus vicarious experience of having a son who has worked a couple of seasons in the Alps as a freelance cook. And professional experience not as a lawyer but as 5 years the administrative head of a Department dealing with all the pay and conditions for everyone working overseas for the British aid programme, whether employee, contractor, or various other peculiar categories which didn' comfortably fit into either definition.

Nixmap is misunderstanding - whether deliberately or not is hard to say - my argument. If someone has to "hang around" to do your bidding all day, even if in a quiet moment they can sit with their feet up and watch the TV, or potter round on skis for an hour before picking up the kids from ski school, then they're working. Any woman who has ever employed a regular cleaner knows they are likely to do less in an hour than you can yourself in that frenzied 15 minutes before your visitors arrive. And if they have used baby sitters in the evenings they'll be aware that they don't, when the kids are asleep, do the ironing, wash the kitchen floor and get a casserole started for the following day (as mothers do not just when "baby sitting" but when the little darlings are under their feet).

In a similar fashion he is playing fast and loose with discussion about renting out his apartment. Anyone doing short holiday lets is extremely lucky to get full occupancy, and also has to pay management fees, tax, etc etc. They rarely (and I know quite a few, and have also read a lot of Snowheads posts on the subject) make the kind of vast profits being postulated here.

Finally, he has resorted to the particular sin of quoting misleadingly out of context. That was either deceptive or careless.
snow conditions
Axsman, Hurtle, dz4d1v, cathy, I can not resist, a personal failing.
Yes, nixmap, may well indeed 'win'/ have won in that someone will/has take(n) him up on his advertisement. I don't care either, as I feel no need to be my brother's keeper in all of this.
However, Nixxie's behaviour has only been that of any salesmen attempting to manage a commercial transaction. He has been polite and courteous, even disarming, but to have responded 'in kind' would have been to lose the argument. Selling via BBs is even more demanding as even the uncaring/uninvolved/ noise-buckets (me) will have a view. I'm sure Kiwi1, CEM, Rob@ etc. have wanted to dismiss some of our questions as 'effing BS' but you just cant do that professionally on a forum! A small qualification, I have never seen the OP post in any manner other than politely on other threads he has contributed to, so fair play.

I suspect Masque's objective was to highlight the potential pitfalls in this offer to others. It is a shame that not all all posters understand the background to his personal angst on these issues, it leaves them very much 'in the dark' which is irritating. Those of us who were 'around during that time' will understand why the Mods delete any references to the background and potentially libelous accusations.

There have been, and still are, many dissenters to nixmap,'s advertising ( that is Admin's call and not ours ) on a number of grounds e.g. social, legal ( rolling eyes ), fiscal and just that 'our' site should be used for these purposes. However in our usual snowHead fashion , our points made have been served up somewhat like pensioners playing tennis at Queens Club with Nixxie politely lobbing the ball back just that little bit higher to keep us amused . Masque, came in and started belting stuff around ( maybe a bit wildly but have you seen him ski?) but I suspect he will also think he's won as nixmap, hasnt actually answered objections and those questions will have to be then answered (privately) to any applicant who considers them valid questions.

I am now looking for a job in HR having declared them both winners. Embarassed We can always wait for a certain person to declare both the two and them and us 'Losers' of course.

All this thread is missing is Smokin Jo's official classification as 'Snowhead Gold'

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 12-08-09 9:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Agenterre,
Quote:

I am now looking for a job in HR having declared them both winners.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Agenterre, I don't think I've won anything, just hoping that some eyes have been opened to the pitfalls inherent in this sort of arrangement, they can damage both their health and their welfare and in this case 'could' end up with a criminal record . . . it could also go so smoothly that everyone has a great time and feels satisfied with the arrangement. But it's like playing 'spin the bottle' and finding yourself snogging a pre-op transgender. And that level of real and not speculative risk to the individual from another for commercial gain is not appropriate for this type of forum.

I hope that admin will have a quiet word and dissuade nixmap from repeating the advert.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

So I wonder what happens with things like home-exchange.com

well that's a completely different thing, isn't it? It's no kind of working relationship. You live in my house for a while, I live in yours. But if you come and live in mine and have to be there when I ask, prepare my meals as requested, keep my house clean, tidy away after supper and baby sit when I pop down the pub for a drink, then you're an employee.

It is a completely different thing, because it's EVERY kind of working relationship. Taxable income for both parties, based on market value.

OP's arrangement is utterly informal, and the value of the accommodation does not appear to be taxable on the victim.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been emailed the gist of what was written on this forum about me and if anyone has a copy in cache please PM me, It seems that a line has been crossed and has been noticed by others. Confused
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
I suspect Masque's objective was to highlight the potential pitfalls in this offer to others. It is a shame that not all all posters understand the background to his personal angst on these issues, it leaves them very much 'in the dark' which is irritating. Those of us who were 'around during that time' will understand why the Mods delete any references to the background and potentially libelous accusations.

snip

I am now looking for a job in HR having declared them both winners. Embarassed We can always wait for a certain person to declare both the two and them and us 'Losers' of course.

All this thread is missing is Smokin Jo's official classification as 'Snowhead Gold'

Agenterre That's a good call, declaring a draw. It is a really interesting thread, but I wasn't aware of any of the background, so I'll revise my opinion somewhat, but I still don't think that abusive language is a valid way of making a point.

Blush
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
,....just hoping that some eyes have been opened to the pitfalls inherent in this sort of arrangement, they can damage both their health and their welfare and in this case 'could' end up with a criminal record . . . it could also go so smoothly that everyone has a great time and feels satisfied with the arrangement. But it's like playing 'spin the bottle' and finding yourself snogging a pre-op transgender......

I think that is a valid point and because nixmap has packaged it up as 'have a slide, knock up the odd meal, take the kids skiing etc' and stay in the gaff for free then it seems exactly the way Axsman, Hurtle, dz4d1v, cathy, have viewed it and how I initially viewed it. however it is just like nixmap getting on a builder's forum and saying 'stay for free in my Alps apartment' but you have to do some builders works on weekends, maybe put a kitchen in, or a bathroom, fix the roof perhaps, all for free too - but remember the skiing is great ..... of course when the bathroom floods the apartment or the builder falls off the roof it tends to get a bit messy.

In all of this each party needs to consider what the situation is in reality and think what might happen in a 'worst case scenario', and when (god forbid) a child is lying in hospital or the apartment is a burned out shell, then I doubt it would be simply a nice mutual agreement wink
latest report
WayneC, ever heard the expression 'The squeaky wheel gets the grease'? It's the loud obnoxious tossers that get noticed wink . . and this thread was falling off the radar.

Masque wrote:
I've been emailed the gist of what was written on this forum about me and if anyone has a copy in cache please PM me, It seems that a line has been crossed and has been noticed by others. Confused
Thanks. Interesting Madeye-Smiley take on the situation and a line has been x'd. may even save me some money wink
snow report
rayscoops, all the more so since nixmap did not just wrap it up as 'have a slide, knock up the odd meal, take the kids skiing etc' what he actually wrote was:

nixmap wrote:
........We would like to find a chalet helper/ chalet couple to look after it (and us) for the winter season............

What that means is you work on weekends............................

We would expect you to do regular household chores, cooking, cleaning, occasional child minding (ages 5 and 8 ) , ski teaching, and other helpful activities.........

Occasionally we may have house guests, and school holidays mean we would stay for longer periods which is an extra work load............

So, amongst all the waffle, quite a job specification. Bearing in mind the implications, I think that this thread should have been pulled.
snow conditions
achilles, It's too late now and it should stay here as a reference should it or anything like it happen again. Admin might even like to examine the issues raised and ponder his own steps to clarify the options to us.
ski holidays
achilles, agreed, but hopefully there will be no problem and one party will get a season on the slopes in a nice gaff and the other will get some one to do some chores on the weekend, be great friends and all live happily ever after. The only reason I dipped my toe in here is because nearly every day I see parties to agreements falling out because the agreement had not been structured properly to deal with disputes when they arrise. This seems no different bearing in mind the way it is being packaged up and punted on here.

.... but if I could cook and ski (rather than board) I might well have taken up the offer Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops, you could turn his sprogs to the darkside . . . might actually do summat to get up nixmap's nose Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
Masque, Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
achilles, Agenterre, It's no wonder the world is going to the lawyers! Laughing

While those of us 50 and over will probably give some thought to all the 'what could go wrong' possibilities before doing anything, my guess is that many, somewhat younger folk, might just think WTF and do it anyway.

Life is risk, sliding down mountains is risk, staying in hotels is risk, paragliding is risk, body boarding is risk, sunbathing is risk etc etc etc. should we let worries over risk/insurance/regulation prevent us doing anything but sitting at home by the TV?

Trying to avoid having to jump through all the hoops and bureaucracy surrounding taxation (who doesn't relish beating the tax man?), insurance (what should be insured against what exactly?), ski instruction (a closed shop if ever there was one) and some not yet introduced, somewhat contraversial, and possibly unworkable rules on babysitting (they are talking about aunts and uncles needing to be 'scrutinised' by the state before being allowed to babysit FFS!) doesn't seem like the crime of the century to me.

IMHO it's up to nixmap to judge the suitability of candidates to look after his house and family, and up to the candidates to judge whether he's a scrooge or a pussycat.

Good luck to them all! snowHead
snow report
Axsman, that's enough common sense, thank you. snowHead
snow report
laundryman, Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy