Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catskiing With Fernie Wilderness Adventures: Anybody Used Them?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of booking a day or two catskiing with the above next winter.

As they seem to be the company used by Inghams for day trips I assume there must be some snowHead who have used them.

Views please!! (Terrain? Amount of skiing? Value for money? (As they're not cheap at C$450 Sad a day next winter.....)

Anybody know if they have a good snow record? (Mixed views on Fernie on here!!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been with them but anecdotal reports (mainly from Brit seasonnaires and tourists) suggest they are what you might expect out of a day trip cat-op. Terrain fairly moderate pitch, good below treeline stuff. Quality of experience depends on your expectations, how good the snow happens to be & how good everyone in your party is (obviously better if you can book a whole cat of homogenous ability). By reputation in BC I'd go for Valhalla or White Grizzly in preference but they are nowhere near Fernie.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went for a day with them on a trip about 6-7 years ago. We did about half a dozen drops, some below the treeline and some through the trees. Not steep terrain so good for "improvers" wink . Good hot bowl of chilli supplied in the lodge at the end of the day. Snow was excellent that year Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done a day with them and it was fabulous. The snow was superb, but of course there's an amount of luck in that!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the replies so far.

fatbob: We haven't booked Fernie digs - so could still be flexible on where we go. Where are Valhall & White Grizzly snowcat operations? (I haven't come across those two in my net snowcat searchings.) Any decent ski areas near to them?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, if you don't know this site already http://www.redtree.com/far might be of interest.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, They are not a bad outfit at all but not the best of the options available it is however family run and very personal.I would try powder cowboy or Chatter Creek both excellent set ups. Chatter Creek is awsome with one or two of the original Crazy Canuks involved
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict,

North of Nelson Lots of links here http://www.catskiing.ca/Cat-Skiing-Operators/

Of course if you want a chance of hanging with Tanner Hall & his broken legs you can always go to Retallack.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Of course if you want a chance of hanging with Tanner Hall & his broken legs you can always go to Retallack.

Retallack has some excellent steep tree skiing - need to be comfortable skiing between closely spaced trees though. A long way from Fernie, but very manageable if you are around Nelson, Red Mountain, etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ordhan

Tried Chatter Creek a couple of years ago. Amazing experience - but one which we are loathe to repeat because.....

Day 1: Snowed in in Golden after monster snowfall. Heli transfet to Chatter Creek wilderness lodge grounded. Day 2: Usual x2 helicopters used by Chatter Creek reduced to x1 as one required for local avalanche control work on the roads. Result was a massive delay and arrival at the lodge late pm on day 2 - in time for one (very short) run.

Upshot was we missed one night (of three) at the lodge and missed 1.5 days skiing (bar the very short run mentioned above). Obviously this can happen when heli-transfers/weather are involved but we were more than a bit narked to find we were due no recompense from Chatter Creek for missing part of the trip - at a cost of hundreds of pounds a day. Yes, we were up the (Chatter) creek..... To add insult to injury:
- The guests who were stuck up at the lodge had an extra night's accommodation and day's skiing effectively on us - the most expensive day of skiing we never had....
- Chatter Creek didn't even give us so much as a free drink in compensation once we finally arrived.

All very disappointing - in fact devastating to spend a powder day sitting in an aircraft hanger in Golden waiting 5 hours for a helicopter. Don't think we'd chance heli-access again - would probably go for an operator that had cat or snowmobile transfers to the lodge.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy