Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier balance/alignment (my memory is like that of a goldfish)

Poster: A snowHead
a while back at least one member on here asked me by PM when Andi from Alpine McCannix was next running a skier balance day at my office...the message has since fallen off the board and i have no idea who it was (as i said memory of a goldfish)

well the next days that he will be available will be Saturday the 13th of June and wednesday 17th June, if anyone wants to book in on those days please call me /PM me of e mail me via the web site as i hold the diary for Andi
Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CEM, that was me, cheers for that, I will check with my diary and make sure she hasn't booked us in for anything on those dates and get back to you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, is that something I need Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, you won't know until you're measured but it's well worth it IMO.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, I reckon I need it I have sever pronation in my feet (my arches collapse, I have flat feet). As a result, even with orthotic inserts I tend to stand on the inside edges of my boots when I stand naturally. I'm *hoping* that CEM might be able to sort me out so that I'm flat. Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry fairly new to this skiing lark but totally hooked .... If I have got the wrong end of the stick completely you have permission to laugh Laughing

A couple of years ago I managed to damage the ligaments in boths knees and now both knees are weak and roll in quite a lot when I ski. I have to roll my feet outwards slightly in my boots to get my knees in the correct position !!! After 3 hours at hemel the other night I was done in !!!

I have inserts and heel lifts in my boots but wonder if there is anything else that can be done boot wise to help my balance and alignment or whether I just need to get off my bottom and spend time in the gym ??? Shock

Now you can laugh Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was originally a sceptic about this kind of alignment work, for no other reason than I couldn't believe that tilting my platform by a few degrees or raising a binding by a few millimetres could make a discernible difference to my skiing. I've been proved wrong. Last year Andi McCann did my lateral alignment and I ended up with +3° shims under each foot and I noticed an immediate difference in how I felt the edges engaging in the snow. Last week CEM saw me crash through some slalom gates rather inelegantly and suggested I try raising the toe binding by a few millimetres to enable better fore/aft balance. After a visit to his pie shop I ended up with 3mm (4mm?) shims under each toe binding and it's no exaggeration to say that I was astonished how this small change felt so completely different when I did a few runs at Hemel yesterday. I'm still trying to get used to it, and haven't yet worked out why it feels so different, and what I need to do to make use of this change, but it did make a huge difference to the feeling I got through the turn. I'd say it's well worth playing with this stuff to see what differences it might make to your skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Like bobblehat, I've not been skiing that long and hadn't heard of this before. Presumably the adjustments are made to the skis/bindings and can only be done if you have your own skis?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Iski, this process is known as boot 'balancing' & additional work that's done once you have the right size of boot with a quality custom footbed to stabilise/support your foot in the boot. The basic premis is that although your boots may be a great fit it doesn't mean that the ski bases will be flat on the snow when you think they are. Correct boot fit also doesn't mean that you will be correctly balanced in the fore/aft plane etc.

In most cases the adjustments are made to your boots. Lateral alignment is done with internal shims underneath the boot liner & fore/aft tilting if required can be done by adding shims to the underside of the toe/heel of the boot & then machining down the boot lugs back to the din spc etc. Not all makes/models of boots can be machined (mine can't as the lugs are hollow) so that's when shims can be put under the bindings on the skis to give the correct height of the heel versus the toe (known as delta). Even if you don't have your own skis it's well worth being balanced as each make of binding has a different delta or tilt so Colin/Andi can recommend which make to rent etc.

Check out: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/47/69/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 27-05-09 21:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Iski, I'm no expert but as I understand it the type of binding and how it's fixed to the ski determines what kind of adjustments can be made. There's not a lot of adjustment possible if the bindings are fitted to the ski on rails (so called integral bindings). Alternatively you can make adjustment to the ski boot, but this depends on the construction of the boot (it needs a solid sole which is either ground down or has plates screwed to lift the base up, and these are normally found in race boots rather retail boots). Best ask an expert like CEM.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, not knock kneed are you? The quality of orothoses and their function vary enormously, many of the custom orthoses I have seen fitted in the 'chains' are little more than boot fillers with little understanding of the effect of foot alignment in the boot and the subsequent effect on knee and pelvis.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, rob@rar, Thanks to both of you for taking the time to explain. I do have my own boots and really want to ski as well as I can (especially as I am a late starter!) so I think that is something I will look into as soon as possible. Is it very expensive to do?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
anarchicsaltire, not that I kow of, but my orthoses were done by my BUPA consultant for everyday use and are not skiing specific

Iski, I think the initial consultation is £90 or so, plus the cost of any work that needs to be done i guess?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Iski, You'd need to check with CEM but IIRC the cost of the boot balancing testing & corrective shims etc is approx £80-£100 depending what needs doing, plus approx £100 for his superb custom vaccuum moulded footbeds if you haven't already got decent ones. The problem for many people is that their boots are too big to start with & if that's the case it's best to rectify that problem first.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got this work done recently, Andi and Colin gave me some good tips on how to get more miles per gallon from my car so what I'll save in fuel over the next six months will pay for the work . wink

The boots feel really good and my skis now lie flat (which they did not before).
snow conditions
spyderjon, I haven't got money to burn but that sounds quite reasonable, especially if it does turn out to improve my skiing. It's also not a very large amount compared with the money spent on boots, ski clothes, lessons and holidays!
snow report
Iski wrote:
spyderjon, I haven't got money to burn but that sounds quite reasonable, especially if it does turn out to improve my skiing. It's also not a very large amount compared with the money spent on boots, ski clothes, lessons and holidays!

My thoughts exactly.
ski holidays
trying to answer all the questions which have remained unanswered...but previeous attendees have done a pretty good job Toofy Grin

the process, depends on requirements and the boots, internal shims are used to attain balance and to find a dynamic neutral position, these can be used in most boots ..unless we are dealing with a full on race fit, then there is too little space to put extra things in the boot...the external bits that people have talked about include planing an angle onto the sole of the boot then buildign the boot back upto make it fit in the bindign again, also changes to fore aft balance can be made in this way using thing thicker shims front or back...as has been said this can be done on boots with solid soles (race boots and some upper end recreational boots)

costs

footbeds £35 -£100 (the full kork £100 one is among the most powerful non prescription insert available, it is not the one for everyoen but for the majority of skiers it or its softer cousin is the best support for the process to begin with)
SBS balancing £85 including the assessment /shims
Boot sole planing £100 including assessment, planing and build up (if both processes are required then you do not pay for 2 assesments

hope that answers everything, any other questions just ask Toofy Grin
snow report
CEM, It could have been me too. Another PM on the way.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I think it was.

And I've just finally 'got' your Gele Baby signature Cool
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
I was astonished how this small change felt so completely different when I did a few runs at Hemel yesterday. I'm still trying to get used to it, and haven't yet worked out why it feels so different, and what I need to do to make use of this change, but it did make a huge difference to the feeling I got through the turn. I'd say it's well worth playing with this stuff to see what differences it might make to your skiing.

hmmmm i refer the previously sceptical gentlemen to this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44226#1059886
snow report
skimottaret, that's before he needed an excuse for his gate-skiing the other day Twisted Evil Razz
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, sad thing is that i am now absolutely dialed into my gear so no excuses left for me unlike the non geeky rob@rar who can at least blame his tools Laughing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
I was astonished how this small change felt so completely different when I did a few runs at Hemel yesterday. I'm still trying to get used to it, and haven't yet worked out why it feels so different, and what I need to do to make use of this change, but it did make a huge difference to the feeling I got through the turn. I'd say it's well worth playing with this stuff to see what differences it might make to your skiing.

hmmmm i refer the previously sceptical gentlemen to this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44226#1059886

I think the fore/aft balance feels much more significant than lateral balance, although difficult to know for sure as not skied the new setup much this week (been teaching ankle-biters, so hardly on skis at all!).
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, sad thing is that i am now absolutely dialed into my gear so no excuses left for me unlike the non geeky rob@rar who can at least blame his tools Laughing Toofy Grin

For the next few weeks at least my excuse will be "I'm still getting used to the new setup". After that I'll come up with something else. Eventually I'll have to concede I'm just crap, but I think I'm at least two or three excuses away from that point...
latest report
Quote:

I think the fore/aft balance feels much more significant than lateral balance, although difficult to know for sure as not skied the new setup much this week (been teaching ankle-biters, so hardly on skis at all!).

agreed thats why i gave it 4 1/2 out of 5 !!
snow conditions
rob@rar, you weren't too shabby even with wonky fore-aft balance the other week. However you've now promised us improvement on top of that, so no pressure Monday night or anything NehNeh
snow report
I've been dying to try my boots out since I got this job done so today I spent the hottest day of the year in a giant fridge in Hemel (a very nice fridge it is too as many snowHead's will soon find out Very Happy )

Does it work? Yes it does but Ive just made a big mug of tea so I'm gonna tell my story anyway Very Happy

Before alignment I was pleased with how I was skiing and had made a lot of progress thanks to some very good instruction and getting good fitting boots and a pair of skis I really like. However there were a few issues that needed to be sorted.
My skis were lying on their inside edges; I am slightly knock kneed and had aligned my cuffs to correctly to match my leg but that was as far as I could take it. I also began to get what felt like shin splints in the outside of my shins. This would happen very shortly after putting on my boots It felt like the forward lean of the boot was not right and as a result a lot of pressure seemed to be localised on small areas of my shin also I know from running that strain caused by incorrect biomechanics can create stress that causes shin splints.

So I went to see CEM and Andi McCann at CEMs shop. They did the alignment as described in other posts above. Through out the process Andi explained what he was doing and demonstrated how it would affect my skiing. I was really amazed how such small adjustments could put me out or bring me back into balance and even more so how my knee tracked differently as he adjusted my balance. The biggest revelation was how when your not aligned if you put your boots on edge they will not edge simultaneously which of course would translate to your skis. There was quite a difference before and after in how I edged. The base board in my boot already had some tilt in my favour (which Andi measured first) but it was not enough so he made up the rest with shims on the boot board. That was me fixed laterally.
He then worked on the fore aft. He looked at me flexing in my boots whilst adjusting the balance table fore and aft and decided that my ankle needed to be opened to give me a better range of motion. This was accomplished with a 3 degree heel lift. Again this made a noticeable difference to my movements. Finally he gave me a prescription for what my delta angles (difference between heel and toe hight of bindings) should be so I could get my bindings adjusted appropriately. spyderjon, sorted this out for me by shimming my front binding. CEM sorted my footbeds, fitted booster straps and modified my shells so I could fasten them round the liner as I had found this helped keep it snug.

So I was fabulously balanced on the shop floor! When I got home I clipped on my skis stood on a foam camping mat with protractor levels on my skis (as shown in Mark Ellings book: The All Mountain skier) and they lay perfectly flat which they wouldn't do before. So straight off Andis assessment my skis lay flat. Good start.

As mentioned I skied all day today in Hemel with absolutely no shin splints, edge changes were effortless and they changed together. I also managed to stand in a good tall stance and stayed out of the back seat. The booster straps allowed me to flex the boot better than the original powerstraps did and having them properly round the liner rather than the cuff was also a major improvement. I was on a Warren Smith training course and he was emphasizing use of both skis together my gear made it easy for me to achieve simultaneous edging and even weighting. He also had us skiing on one leg (one ski inside and outside edges not just lifting the uphill ski). I had never tried this before but picked it up quite quickly I am putting it down to being in correct balance rather than any exceptional talent on my part as better skiers than me didn't pick it up so fast.

So Thanks to
Andi Mc Cann for alignment everything he said should happen did.
CEM for top class boot fitting.
Spyderjon for recommending, supplying and shimming bindings. (and for very fast bases, sharp edges, a very tidy repair to a coreshot base and a shedload of good advise)

Thanks also to snowHead's if it wasn't for you I'd never have found these guys.

From one very happy snowHead

Ok Tea is finished so is this post Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RPF, good isnt it....

spread the gospel wink
latest report
In his book, The All Mountain Skier, Mark Elling talks about his experience with delta angle (page 212 if you have the book) after buying new skis and bindings. Suddenly he found himself with a squatty stance suffering from thigh burn with tips diving in powder and hooking during turns. He moved the bindings back which fixed the tip diving but not the rest of the issues. To make a long story short, he sorted his delta and with it all his problems. With the correct delta he could put the bindings back to their original position without sacrificing powder performance. At this time he didn't have the benefit of analysis like that done by Andi to predict what delta he should have so being an experimenter he just tried different sized shims. When he put too much he stood too tall and his skis felt too long. By too much he meant 1/8 of an inch (3mm ish) 1/16 was right for him. Its doesn't seem a lot but clearly makes a big difference. But if thought of another way when that 1/16th of an inch at the bottom of a 5-6ft+ person will get translated into bigger changes further up the body which we will try to compensate for by changing our stance. As Spyderjon pointed out different binding brands have different relative heel and toe heights so changing your binding could change your delta.
snow report
skimottaret, Its very good Very Happy Not everyone wants to hear the Gospel. Most of my mates think I'm insane with angles and alignment and booster straps to replace "perfectly good power straps". I've been laughed at for getting boot fitting done having my skis waxed and sharpened let alone adjusting my bindings by 2mm.
I'm converted good gear correctly set up makes a difference. Warren has given me plenty to work on over the summer so now that my gear is right its time to work on my technique. Where to start Puzzled
snow report
RPF wrote:
skimottaret, Its very good Very Happy Not everyone wants to hear the Gospel. Most of my mates think I'm insane with angles and alignment and booster straps to replace "perfectly good power straps". I've been laughed at for getting boot fitting done having my skis waxed and sharpened let alone adjusting my bindings by 2mm.
I'm converted good gear correctly set up makes a difference. Warren has given me plenty to work on over the summer so now that my gear is right its time to work on my technique. Where to start Puzzled

the people who usually laugh are the ones who it would help most, unfortunatley most of them also need a motor skills transplant before they would even consider this type of adjustment Toofy Grin

glad everything worked out for you
snow report
CEM, I can't make either of the dates in June Crying or Very sad Do you have any dates yet for later in the year ??

Thanks
Sheila
snow report
bobblehat, not as yet, but we try to do one of these days at least once a month depending on demand, when we get these ones out the way we will come up with the next dates
snow conditions
CEM, what proportion of skiers do you think have sufficient issues with balance/alignment to see a significant improvement from having this work done? I'm sure a lot of people will find it difficult to self-diagnose balance or alignment problems and it is a costly procedure if you find you're actually balanced/aligned correctly to start off with!
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, i would say that most people would get some benefit, it depends on which area if any needs work, medial/lateral tends to get all the focus, fore / aft is often times more important and often it is that where the biggest difference is made

if I ever assess someone and they genuinely do not need some level of adjustment then i don't charge them, if we assess them and they choose not to go ahead then we charge an assessment fee, the prices quoted are for complete assessment and adjustments
ski holidays
Interesting thread this, as CEM knows my missus has 'issues' with sore feet, and I'm wondering wether alignment may help?

Is there a test you can do at home? Ie clip into skis wearing your boots and see if the ski's lie flat, or ????

Cheers,

greg
snow report
greg,

couple of simple ones (these are not definative but a start)

1 stand on a hard surface with ski boots on feet hip width apart (no wider) drop a plumb bob from the centre of knee mass NOT the centre of the patella and see where it falls, inside or outside of the centre casting line of the boot
2 as RPF did stand on skis on a soft surface and see what happens to the skis, do they lie on the inside or outside edges of flat
3 place a magazine or other 3-8mm item under the toe of the boots , then under the heel of the boot then remove all together ...note the differences in balance

all the obviuos things need to be looked at first footbed, boot fit, cuff ajustment, spoilers in or out, boot ramp angle, boot forward lean, binding delta angle etc etc
latest report
cheers CEM, it may be easier to get her to drop by again if she is ever in the area..........
ski holidays
CEM, Ok thank you thats good news, i was praying i wasn;t going to miss out . If possible could you try and remember to let me know the next lot of dates pls Smile

Thanks
She
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy