Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCOTLAND 09/10.............

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, having already discounted plan "A" for next season, looks like plan "B" might get a run out instead...........

And that hopefully includes several trips north of the border, circumstances permitting.

Having followed a few threads last season I've some idea of what's what, and know it's a bit early to start "planning", but here goes anyway.

What I know is this:

You have to be reactive to the conditions, so a lot of last minute decisions. I'm 380 miles from Ft William so some educated guesswork will be involved.

Even though they're (the slopes) all relatively close together, on a daily basis one may be a much better choice than another, so be flexible. Accept that you may lose whole days. But not being a fairweather type I'll often go 'till the lifts shut.

Local knowledge is probably quite important, knowing where to run out rather than hike back up. A fair few snowHead's (take a bow) are usually around so that shouldn't be a problem, if you arrange to hook up with them.

All my trips will be Mon-Fri when crowds (!!!..?) and accommodation (reasonably priced) shouldn't be an issue.

I'm budgeting on around 30 gallons of diesel (around 1300 miles) for each trip, so finding buddies (couple of mates have already expressed an interest) is they key to making it financially more realistic. It'll be an MPV so up to five, with ample stowage is where it's at, but me and one passenger will be the minimum.

I'm realistic, and not prejudging it, I don't expect "Alpine" standards, but really fancy a change (something more honest...?), and having already booked two weeks in Ca late season, and maybe the odd last minute Euro trip, everything else will be a bonus.

What I don't know is most of the rest so if you've anything positive to contribute, please feel free, especially from anyone who knows what they're on about.

And if any of you out there maybe see yourself doing something similar.................... I can pick up anywhere in the M6/A74/M74 corridor north of J10 within reason if the dates clash, or tag along if you need to add numbers.

I'm an half decent boarder, but am happy with skiers too. If you don't mind waiting for me to strap in, I don't mind waiting for you to walk back up the slope hundred yards to find your skis.

And I'm probably a lot more easy going than some of my post's may suggest wink .

I'll nudge this post when it gets closer to the fact.

John.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sounds like a plan

some good initial resources that you may already be aware of:

winterhighland.info
highland-instinct.co.uk

both the above are the best source of trip reports and condition reports from the local punters, and have info and links to the resort sites etc.

sais.gov.uk
this is the Scottish Avalanche Information Service. based at Glenmore lodge near Aviemore but with teams covering various areas around the country, they publish a daily avalanche forecast in the season, they also have a daily blog (for each area) with useful pictures, especially for backcountry etc.

mwis.org.uk
good mountain weather resources - daily forecasts published for the major regions

You'll get plenty of help from the above - recommend joining one or both of the top 2 sites above forums, that's where you'll get the best live info from the folk on the ground. Anything else, just ask

With a bit of effort and flexibility, you'll have a blast

(worth looking into possible train options for the journey up and down an' all, reduces flexibility perhaps but if you've got a period of predictability for conditions (not unheard of!), then could be a good option)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
barry, many thanks for the reply.

Was aware of the first two sites (and have registered with one). The SAIS and MWIS are new to me, and should prove very useful.

With luck I'll be up there four or five times next season, and there's already a bit of interest amongst the sliders (and none sliders) I know but there will probably be the odd occasion I'll either be on my own, or there'll be a place or two.

The HI site seems particularly friendly, so hopefully if I can hook up with some local knowledge I may be able to make the most of my time up in Scotland.

And if, nearer the time, anyone fancies a ride up, I'll nudge the post.

John.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're keen Smile

MWIS is the best for weather, the weather changes A LOT, so don't decide until the day before and even then it may not be as bad as forecast.

Have you got your own stuff as the hire stuff isn't generally that great?

Lets hope its a great season then!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, Nothing if not keen, lol.

Yeah, will constantly monitor the weather, but won't make a move until there's at least a base that a couple of days of rain won't wash away.

Gear's not a problem.

This coming season will be a bumper one, no doubt. If not there's always the cake to fall back on......................... wink

Just looking to do something different, and (reasonably) local. The best scenario would be to get up to you, have good snow, and maybe hook with people who know the terrain. The back bowls on Nevis frinstance. If I were so lucky.

Hopefully there'll be at least one area open come next season (re: Glencoe) and somewhere to stay (re: MacDonald Hotels).

And not having been north of Carlisle since devolution, do I need a passport now? Laughing

Johnno.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nudge.

Ok, back now..........................

Several people already up for this so if it fits in with what you're doing (hook up/tag along, either way), or if it's useful as a convenient place to post your own plans.....................

Got to catch up on the snow conditions this weekend, looks pretty ok though.

John.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy