Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Storage with Vist Binding

Poster: A snowHead
CEM wrote:
spyderjon, oh it is perfectly possible Toofy Grin

CEM's da man Wink

How does the stepped plate work. Different heights for the toe piece and the heel piece?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Ok, of course it's 'possible' but the plate set-up adds a lot of leverage so I wouldn't do it if it meant only having 6mm of screw length instead of 9mm, especially on race skis. skimottaret & myself didn't do it to his plates for that reason, although Scott is a lot taller & heavier than Rob. The Speedlock plate mounting screws are specially designed & Vist don't do longer one (I'm trying to get them to do some) so unless you have access to a machine shop then you're screwed wink

Yes, the stepped plates are taller at the front. They currently offer a number of their WC plates as stepped as the Speedlock Race plate with a 19mm front height & 15mm rear height.

I presume then that you don't want the longer flat mounted screws?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll bring some longer screws with me to hemel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
just as well i will have a work bench then Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kiwi1 wrote:
I'll bring some longer screws with me to hemel.

kiwi1, We're taking here about longer T fixings for Speedlock plates not longer binding screws which I've got.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, I have lots of goodies.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiwi1, even though there's slightly different T screws for the different models of plates none of them have a longer shaft/threaded portion which is what's required to install a shim between the plate & the ski. Furthermore the two 'conventional' binding screws that are also used to fix the other end of the plates are already longer that the XL screw that are available as spares. If you recall we've been through this exercise last year trying to do this for myself & skimottaret & we couldn't do it then so what's changed?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, not sure these are T screws, kust looked like regular binding screws with a narrow head on one and a countersunk head on the other, i just didn't have a countersunk headed screw long enough...had a pan head one that was 10mm too long but the head doesn't sit flush in the plate????

ok everybody bring what they have and we will have a binding screw shoot out Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, will do.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
longer length screws for use with any other brand of flat mounted bindings as well as their own.

Any chance you can bring a few longer length Vist screws to the Hemel event for me? CEM added a 3mm (maybe 4mm?) shim under the toe binding but didn't have suitable screws so we re-used the original ones which are holding OK now, but I'd like to make sure we've got a good grip into the ski with something a bit longer than what I'm using now.

careful careful... i did this on my head magnums and the screws pulled out of the plate..... until you get proper length screws i wouldnt ski em hard.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The lack of longer mounting screws and not being able to shim under the plates is a real bug as VIST bindings are very heel high to start with....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
not being able to shim under the plates is a real bug as VIST bindings

What Vist plates do you have? CEM put shims under the front part of my plate quite easily.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, Why not reduce the hight of the heel plate instead ? The allowed stand height for racing comes down to 50mm this season from 55mm, it may take a while before VIST find out what sizes of plates and shims are needed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, yeah but.... he probably wasnt able to use the correct length screws and if the screws are too short they might pull out as i have found out the hard way on my tech course when the toe piece came loose on my heads (non vist i should add).... a few mm may be okay but 5 or 6 is too much and could be risking damage IMO

rjs, that would be my preffered solution as i like flat bindings but its not possible to reduce as far as i can see...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've 9mm, 15mm and 19mm countersunk screws. I've never had a problem mounting 3mm shims with a mixture of these. I'll bring them all down as they are from the spares pot.
spyderjon, I always mount shims between the bindings and plate not the plate and ski.
snow report
kiwi1, are the screws you mention the ones that go into the speedlock pins?
latest report
skimottaret, I have a selection of different screws from Italy. I have the screws you mention but have others also.
snow report
kiwi1 wrote:
,spyderjon, I always mount shims between the bindings and plate not the plate and ski.

Ah, I get you now, you're just slackening of the speedlock pin screws in toe piece to fit the shim in between. I was a bit concerned about there being enough support as it's a lot smaller diameter bolt than a conventional binding screw. This would depend on the thickness of the shim required which is my case is 7mm which is certainly too much IMO. I would think 2/3mm would be fine.
snow conditions
kiwi1, sounds good. Perhaps I could book a bit of time with you to make sure my setup is secure Smile
ski holidays
kiwi1, spyderjon, these are between the plate and the ski it was the only way possible with the materials available at the time

skimottaret, Rob is a good bit lighter that you, i think there is enough contact for indoor use in the set up, we want longer screws so that when he hits the mountain all will be extra safe
snow conditions
CEM, im sure it will be fine short term to test out. just hoping we can get a permanet solution for all us VIST people Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm a little out of touch and wondered what happened......
I was sitting at the Thistle ready to buy a round for spyderjon and CEM, but no one showed up. I even brought my hot girlfriend
Were we at the wrong place. wink
snow report
SnowHot, we will be accepting drinks at hemel on saturday evening Toofy Grin
snow report
If I tell you I'll be there, so go ahead and start without me, will you believe me?

Have fun, but not too much Wink
snow conditions
SnowHot, Laughing Laughing no wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy