Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EC investigates alleged "illegal development" of Bulgarian ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The European Commission is investigating several Bulgarian ski resorts, following complaints by environmental groups that their developments involve illegal use of protected land, illegal deforestation and failures to apply for environmental consents. Construction of a 'Super Borovets' resort is a focus of concern.

This report from PlanetSKI.com

Quote:
Bansko is accused by environmental groups of building on 150 hectares of National Park without an Environmental Impact Assessment act (EIA) and of cutting down trees to create ski runs without the proper authoristations.

Presumably a lot of this has arisen from booming property sales (combined, of course, with inadequate policing of the developers).
Anyone know the current trends in apartment values in Bulgarian resorts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
The accusations are simple. Environmentalists claim much of the expansion of the country’s ski areas has been done on land that is protected by international and national law.

I am not clear how international law can be valid over the use of land in a sovereign nation. As for any violation of national law, that is a matter for the Bulgarian government. I can't see this is any business of the EC - not that that will stop it meddling.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This story, concerning another Bulgarian development - 'Super Perelik' - sheds a bit more light on that. According to this report, work has been suspended there:

http://www.balkantravellers.com/en/read/article/1174

Quote:
The reason for the cancellation, according to the Let Nature Remain in Bulgaria release, is a letter to Bulgaria from the European Commission, saying that the construction plans have been adopted without the mandatory environmental assessment in 2007. That, the environmentalists say, would be a reason to start a penal procedure ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I am not clear how international law can be valid over the use of land in a sovereign nation.

I'm no expert in this, but I know (and am very glad) that an EU Habitats Directive has prevented some developments in Chichester Harbour. If EU member states don't give a tinker's cuss for European policy of this sort there's really no point in their joining. Given that member states have vested particular powers in the EU, and have promised to obey certain rules, the EU has every right to investigate apparent infringements. To call this "meddling" rather misses the point, doesn't it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, thanks.

pam w, I don't think so. I think it is up to the governments (including local ones) to husband local land, and should not be a matter for the un-elected EC. As for whether so many powers should have been vested in the EU - well, I think that is going to be quite a subject at the next General Election. Things may change.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I am not clear how international law can be valid over the use of land in a sovereign nation.

I'm no expert in this, but I know (and am very glad) that an EU Habitats Directive has prevented some developments in Chichester Harbour. If EU member states don't give a tinker's cuss for European policy of this sort there's really no point in their joining. Given that member states have vested particular powers in the EU, and have promised to obey certain rules, the EU has every right to investigate apparent infringements. To call this "meddling" rather misses the point, doesn't it?

again like Pam I, no expert but no developement can take place at Stonehenge becuase UNESCO have dicteted it to be a World Heritage site.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, off-hand, I cannot think of a World Heritage site that has not be requested to become on by the local people. Moreover, the preservation of such a sit is a matter of convention and national pledges rather than law. The sites' best protection is the local outrage that would arise were they disturbed. Many sites are in danger; I have not heard of any threat to the governments concerned.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I rather think it is the money that drives everything behind.

A development company has to ask a bank for a loan to deveop the site. Compliance with International environmental practices enable the development valued, marketed and traded nationally and internationally so the bank is willing to paly ball. If the developement get fouled with the local laws or deviating from published international practices the facility will have a questionable commercial value and the investment by the bank may be fully recoverable.

It is like buying a grade-listed building in UK and converting to a buyer's taste without due regard to the restrictions. There may be nothing wrong with the modification but the future buyer may not be able to get a mortgagee willing to take the converted building as a collateral for the loan.

So the intention of the environmental people may be just sowing the seed of fear.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, The MP whse constituecy covers Stonehenge recently suggested that Stonehenge was de-listed as a WHS to allow the existing visitors centre to be extended and re-developed, the short answer from UNESCO was no!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, nothing to stop the UK from telling UNESCO to get stuffed, in international law, AFIK. Hopefully, it won't.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy