Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunday Times ski editor wants "socking great flyover" across Lake Annecy

Poster: A snowHead
Sean Newsom, ski editor of the Sunday Times, is fed up with driving around Lake Annecy to get to ski resorts. Here's his solution:

Quote:
I've given up driving round the lake. I wish the French authorities would see sense and put a socking great flyover across it. Yes it would spoil the view, but that's long been wrecked by overdevelopment, and it would get rid of all the wiggling on suburban roads on the lakeside...Plus you would fill the Tarentaise up with happy Brits - and the French would love that, wouldn't they?

Source: http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=632&id=138&last=0 [6th post down]

Is he right? What's the solution for access to the Tarentaise, to combine skier satisfaction with environmental protection?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I love the drive around the lake, especially in the spring. It's beautiful and inspiring.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a perfectly good motorway link via Chamberey which is about 10/20 mins longer when compared to sitting in the jams along the lake.

Well done for spotting that David, I thought that forum had gone the way of Mysnosports.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 19-05-09 9:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, it's beautiful, but it's also very frustrating when caught in long jams at holiday times and weekends.

I heard some years ago that the French authorities are not too keen to improve the road links via Annecy from Geneva, as they would prefer people to use Lyon airport.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, I think drive times from GVA to the Tarentaise are more or less the same via Annecy or Chambery. Not much more than 5 minutes either way, assuming normal traffic levels on both routes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
I love the drive around the lake, especially in the spring. It's beautiful and inspiring.

Me too. Maybe SN had a hangover when he posted that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idiot Newspaper Editor.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 19-05-09 9:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Giles from www.cgski.co.uk swears by going via Annecy but always goes around the 'other side' of the lake. I personally dislike the 'other side' route because of all the speed humps and varying speed limit signs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lake annecy is beautiful, it's the best part of the journey between gva and the tarantaise, building a flyover so people can get to resort quicker sounds like a stupid witless right wing clarksonism and should not be taken seriously at all. What about all the lake and mountain sports in summer being ruined by a massive concrete monster.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love that route, but as the wife of one, and mother of another, thrower-upper, I'm sure some people would prefer a direct road rather than the winding "wiggling" ones
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good grief. Some people really do want to be spoon-fed mountain access, don't they? They'll be wanting 8-lane access direct to their hotels, next. Long may winding wiggling roads continue. They are more picturesque - and help keep the crowds down to those prepared to endure the journey.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd definitely have preferred a straighter road for the Lardybus on the way back from the EoSB after turning a rather nice shade of green mid-journey, which is ironic as it was the green (genepi) that I mostly blame for my condition that morning. Even so I'd rather suffer than have anyone ruin that lake.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bigpantsjayke wrote:
sounds like a stupid witless right wing
Major projects are anything but right wing. rolling eyes

I think it would be fair to say that SN was 'talking' out of an orifice other than his mouth when he pitched that piece...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, Very Happy I've often thought the road down to the valley from La Ros should be a straight line, right into the lake for those that overshoot Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Similarly, no doubt the Highland Authority in Scotland is preparing to spoil the lovely (and winding) road up the North half of Loch Lomond to make it faster.
These people seem to have no conception that they are spoiling what people are coming to see.
snow report
snowball, I don't think SN means it. Just a sensational line to draw attention to his website.

The best way to avoid any French road issues is to ski in Austria
ski holidays
Actually, this is the line Sean's using to draw attention to his website (on the home page):

Quote:
I keep thinking of Gordon Brown's hand slipping limply into my trouser pocket, looking for my wallet...

What a ghastly thought, but I thought that was Darling's job. Maybe he should trap the groping hand of government in his heated trouser press. The theme here, by the way, is airport taxes and his hatred of Terminal 5. He continues ...

Quote:
The last time I was at T5 was when we had the 'worst snow since the Ice Age' or whatever it was...It was a good 36 hours since the snow fell, four flights were cancelled in a row and I remember a hearing a poor American on the phone, amidst the scrum, begging his travel agent "to just get me out of the UK".

So, the message here is that Sean skis at his personal expense - not that of the Sunday Times' - and flying is too expensive.

Are airport taxes really that expensive?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

Are airport taxes really that expensive?

Buying or selling Laughing

BAA are appealing the instruction to sell Gatwick Edinburgh/Glasgow
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy