Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Technical Geek Discussion #1 - Ski Binding Position

Poster: A snowHead
Disclaimer – This is meant to be a highly anal discussion of where to mount your ski bindings and hopefully will get your techy ski brain cells working during the off season. Open you mind and contribute if you find this topic interesting, take the p1*s if you like but us geeks will just ignore you. Toofy Grin

==========

So…. I got myself a pair of factory SL skis and it has gotten me thinking about correct position of the boot along the length of the ski. There are a few threads on this which are very good and there seems to be three methods quoted to determine the "correct" position to mount your bindings. But how much difference does it really make to your skiing and what method is the way to go.…

There seems to be three popular methods for determining binding position on Alpine Skis.

Campbell Balancer Point (CBP) - basically a wobble board that you stand on the find your balance point. The figure quoted is the distance from the front edge of the boot back to the contact/running length centre line of the ski measured in cm’s. This method is individual to your physiology, boot set up and stance and should be quite accurate.

Ball of Foot over Centre of Running Surface (CRS/BoF) you can determine where your ball of boot is within your boot by several methods and then position this point directly over the CRS as measured for your skis.

Centre point of Boot over Manufacturers (BM) mounting point. This is the default setting used by manufacturers and shop technicians. Occasionally you will get a ski marked with two marks, a "FreeRide" or "FreeStyle" point. FreeRide tends to be further back to allow for off piste skiing keeping your tips higher, and FS is more forward and is meant to assist when doing aerial manoeuvres & rail grinds and is meant to indicate teh cmetre of the skis mass to help keep the skis more balanced rotationally.

For me both CBP and CRS/BoF methods came out the same figures and are typically around4 cm forward of BM method of manufacturer recommended binding position marked on all my skis. Both on and off piste I prefer the more forward setting. This could be unique to me because I have big feet but 4 cm seems to be a lot and it has been reported elsewhere that most competent skiers when balanced end up with a more forward “prescription” than what BM point would suggest.

My “new” SL skis are second hand FIS factory race skis and bought off a sponsored racer who competes at international level. His binding location was set individually for him at the manufacturer’s factory by their top technicians and I was told that they initially set the centre point of the ski boot which is marked on all boots directly over the “middle flex point” of the ski. The technicians measure this point at the factory and is dependent not only on the design of the ski model but is unique to each individual skis stiffness pattern. When I determined where my bindings should be overlaying my boot to his I found this put my boot even more forward (2 – 3cm) than what the CRS/BoF point would indicate. which for me already tends to give quite a forward mounting location.

It just looked Waaayyy too forward and as I had to redrill the mounting plates to fit my boot length I wanted to think this through and ensure I wasn’t missing something. I began wondering if this ultra forward mounting point was only for good racers and would be impossible for an average skier like me to get on with. So I asked another ex sponsored racer, who knows how to ski, about this and he had an interesting view on the matter….

The Bof/CRS is old school and was fine when we needed to project forward along the ski and used more rotary input to steer the skis. With modern skis with large sidecut radii we steer more with pressure and edge. We get higher edge angles and higher loadings by standing more on top of the ski as opposed to moving for and aft, or, twisting the feet. When aggressively skiing you will generate several G’s of force through your body down through your skis to the engaged edge. This force should go through the load bearing part of your foot, which is NOT the ball of the foot, but the “keystone” point along your arch known as the Navicular point. I believe that it is this point that the boot manufacturers typically stamp on the boots and should be aligned with the “Middle Flex Point” of the ski.

The actual flex point centre not necessarily the centre of running surface but is very much dependent on how the ski is constructed and the “sweet spot” location is dependent on the stiffness and flex pattern for that model of ski. Shorter SL skis with stiff tails it is more critical to align the flex point of the ski to the point on your foot that the force vector is transmitted through.

I find all of this interesting in an Academic way and it raises a few Questions. I would be interested in getting views of people in the know.

Does anyone know if the Centre Point marked on boots by manufacturers is actually meant to represent the centre of the arch or is it just an arbitrary position each boot manufacturer uses? Are there any industry standards?

Is the manufacturers mark on a ski related at all to the designed flex pattern?

Should binding mounting point be determined by intended usage as opposed to skill level?

Manufacturers literature tend to say that “expert” binding position is further back and “recreational” position is forward to “ease turn initiation” It seems to me that this is opposite to what I have found and that a more forward position is suitable for all skiers who will be on piste on in the park and further back for off piste in soft snow. The Free Ride, Free Style markings make sense to me and should they add an on piste only or Race mark?

Is there any point in using a campbell balancer as opposed to BoF/CRS?

Does a skiers weight have any bearing on binding position?

It is probably impossible for users to determine the flex point of a ski but should SL skis be mounted typically further forward than BoF/CRS would indicate?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, Why not go with BM and see how they ski ? All my race skis are mounted that way.

Boot fit may play a part too, the marking on real race skis may presume that the BoF is further forward in race boots than it would be in a recreational boot.

You can find out with a tape measure whether the centre point is really in the middle, it is for both pairs of boots I have here.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have no idea in answer to your questions. I'd have thought for a pure SL ski that will not be seeing the soft stuff you can mount as far forward as you like as keeping tips up won't be an issue although maybe you miss out on harnessing some of the power in the tail if you go too far.

I do know on some of my older skis how I'm amazed at he shortness of tail relative to tip from the manufacurers marks and know I know more I'd be inclined to mount them forward of the line. I think I need to do some measuring of where my current skis are mounted on effective edge to get an appreciation for future mounts as I like the position on them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:

Is there any point in using a campbell balancer as opposed to BoF/CRS?

Sure, testing the fit and balance within the boot.

"Can this person balance on marked boot center" is the question.

Quote:

Does a skiers weight have any bearing on binding position?

Does sidecut shape (i.e. _not_ just the overall published radius) in front of the boot have any bearing on binding position?

Does the camber of the ski have any bearing on binding position?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, based on your large boot size, the toe of boot will be infront of the centre of the ski.... the manufacturers boot centre mark is often set up around a boot 300-310mm long typically if you measure back 15cm from the centre of the running surface you will line up with their mark...as you boot is 305+ Xmm you will likely find that this 4cm plus measurement you like to the toe of the boot puts your boot centre somewhere around the boot mid point mark on the ski

does that make sense???

there are a lot of other things whihc i think are a lot more important in the whole chain but it is a consideration
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, the race skis i have dont seem to have a centre point mark on the top sheet, my newer ones had a mark scribed on using permanent marker. what that mark actually represents is not clear. I have also heard from Spyderjon that the centre marks the manufacturers ink jet print on are nowhere near repeatable from ski to ski and that one should measure CRS for a reliable datum point.

CEM, what do the manufacturers of skis typically consider as the Centre? is it CRS, chord centre, point of min sidecut, the nominal flex point i mention, or something else?

Interesting comment regarding boot size vs centre point (for reference i am a 334mm length) are you saying that the boot centre marks (BCM) are positioned for a single "reference" size? i would have assumed that each size of mould would have a centre point that relates to the actual boot length and position of foot within the boot.

Do you feel the Boot centre Mark should be at the navicular point? or was that idle speculation by my friend..

comprex, fair points... i guess the balancer is probably better as it considers lean and ramp angles, beer guts, stance etc.... It may have been just coincidental that my CB and Bof/CRS points coincided. The CRS seems to bear little similarity to the ski manufacturers mid point. As there is only one balancer in the UK that i am aware of i was hoping to get a more generic set of figures that relate to measurable info like CRS, boot centre point etc. and apply that to type of skis (SL, GS, off piste , all round etc) For instance i am guessing SL skis will like more forward mounting point as opposed to DH skis...

I am assuming that each manufacturer does something slightly different, this is skiing why have standards wink but it would be good to know if i can correlate something that i can measure when setting binding locations on differing skis or when giving advice.

i should rephrase the weight question as if i am much heavier than an "average" skier should i typically go forward or aft with my bindings?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 19-05-09 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, on a ski whith no visible centre boot mark [it happens a lot] we used to measure the tip to tail in three ways...tip to tail along the base, tip to tail along the top sheet and chord length....add the three together, divide by three and divide again by 2 which gives an accurate chord centre, this would be consided the boot toe or dependant on the skier measure 15cm back and use as the boot centre point

i have never really thought about the boot centre point being under the navicular, it is half way along the lenght of the boot...does that correspond with the navicular???? not really though about it

Quote:

would advocate positioning a binding so that the BCM is 15mm behind CRS? Why not BCM direcly over CRS?

not something i have given much thought to again...but hey i do the boots, i know what i like in skis but i lkeave the set up to the tech or the individual

this could get really silly
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, Thanks for the Chord Centre measuring method.

Not wanting to get silly but rather would like to come up with some simple methods that i can use to determine where I should mount my bindings. Manufacturers use a "standard human model" method that doesnt work for us on the fringes. wink

A cm or two isnt going to make much difference on a pair of soft recreational skis but for stiff race skis i would think the "sweet spot" is pretty small and binding location is much more critical. +- 3 or 4 cm will make a huge difference in how a race ski behaves.

There is a lot of information on binding mounting for telemark skis but very little for alpine so i am trying to summarise a few methods for people to use as a starting point. Personal preference and intended usage then comes into play but if i took a pair of skis which dont have a mounting point mark on them to a "ski technician" what method would they use to determine where they are going to drill holes in my skis?

there a few methods and each seems to have pros/cons and give different results. I will write up my thoughts along with some guidelines on how binding position affects ski performance and publish them here for review. Perhaps armed with some information people can make a more informed choice when having bindings installed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, What is the difference between your BSL and that of their previous owner (AT ?) ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, previous owner is smaller stature and feet (good guess it was AT) . I think his boot was around the 300 mark but not exactly sure.

Have to admit i am not sure i correctly follow CEM's thinking on boots bigger or smaller that industry average. Lets say i am 30mm longer than average. should i go back a full 30 or half the distance? I would think half would make more sense in relation to the boot centre line.

i didnt want to drill the skis and remount the plate and was able to use some of the existing helicoils and then drill and helicoil the plate to give me two positions to play with. The 1st one i mounted the bindings to keep my boot centre mark directly over his point and the second 1 cm aft of this to allow for my bigger feet. I currently have them forward and two goes in the dome and hey are very hooky and i have been spat out a few times.

Interestingly if i use my Campbell balance point over the CRS i am 2 cm forward of current position. So if i take it back a 1 cm notch almost bang on the CBP/CRS that i like to use
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, I think moving back by half the difference in size.

One other variable would be how tight a fit your boots are, any extra space will be at the toe which will move your foot back relative to the centre line. Moving the bindings back by 1cm sounds about right to me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, yeah half makes sense to me as well. fair point on boot tightness but that is accounted for if you use a campbell balancer or just tap test to find your Ball of Foot within your shell.

the thing that sparked this off for me was that i now have two pairs of FIS race skis that are virtually identical in dimensions. The old pair (Fischer RC4's) are retail models with the bindings pre positioned, the Blizzards were set up at the factory. when i put them side by side the the RC4s are 3.5 cm aft of the blizzards. even going back a cm to get em back to a bit, 2.5 cm difference seems a lot to me and sparked this off.

I am concluding that CBP/CRS is the one for one piste usage and should get you close to optimal before adjusting for personal preferences.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
God this is so geeky it is making me excited. Love this guys brilliant discussion and made me think about stuff that would normally never enter my head!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:

the thing that sparked this off for me was that i now have two pairs of FIS race skis that are virtually identical in dimensions. The old pair (Fischer RC4's) are retail models with the bindings pre positioned, the Blizzards were set up at the factory. when i put them side by side the the RC4s are 3.5 cm aft of the blizzards. even going back a cm to get em back to a bit, 2.5 cm difference seems a lot to me and sparked this off.

Put them back to back and see if the waist is at the same point on the ski.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, why would a pure SL ski not see the soft stuff? Isn't that what they were designed for?
latest report
under a new name, The new Fischer WC SLs don't work very well in powder, it all goes through the hole in the tip.
snow report
comprex,
Quote:

"Can this person balance on marked boot center" is the question.

The Campbell balancer determines the balance point when you are in a skiing stance in your current boot setup. I am curious, do you think the force vector from your CoM should go through this natural balance point or more through the centre of the arch of the foot (navicular point) ?

Would you think a skiers balance point could be/will be at the centre mark of the boot? My Campbell point is well forward of the centre and I am wondering if that is just me and that the boots centre mark is somewhat meaningless other than that it is easy to measure.
ski holidays
skimottaret, All my race skis are mounted using the centre mark over mounting point and ski just fine using 225mm and 235mm boots.

You described your new ones as "hooky", are you sure you are not just noticing the difference of a real race tune ? You want them to carve arc to arc.
ski holidays
think about the COM change when you add or remove a spoiler from the boot, or make the cuff more upright, or lift the heel internally or externally or lift the toe of the boot externally, whilst the campbell balance point is relevent as you say for your boot set up as it is on the machine any one of the changes listed although small can make a dramatic difference to the COM

this is one of the areas which is in the equipment awareness modual which we are trying to get introduced
snow conditions
Quote:

comprex, I take your point that each ski is designed differently and that the side cut radius may be more more fore or aft depending on model/manufacturer. Putting them back to back the Blizzards are 2cm longer including plastic tip (although both labelled 165) but almost no difference that i can make out using a mark 1 human eyball where the minimum waist point is between them. The fischers have almost no edge in them though so a measured comparison isnt very accurate.

I have measured the Chord Centre using CEM's 3 point formula, CRS, and have tried to determine the waist point (now crowned WP wink ) and have determined points on as per this diagram Using CRS as datum point.

Interestingly on this particular ski the manufacturers "mystery point" that i was told is the "centre of flex" is furthest aft.

..............................Boot.....................CBP..........................................BM
Front of ski............................|...............|........|............|.........|.............|........Rear of ski
...........................................CC.............|....CRS.........WP......MP............|
..........................................+4............+0.5....0..........- 4......-5.5...........-7

Points on the boot are fairly easy to measure whether you use BM, CBP or BoF and whatever point you select will be a good datum between skis. The CBP or Bof is really only measurable to +- .5cm perhaps even as much as +-1cm.

What isnt clear to me is how best does one determine the "neutral" point of different skis. Each method gives quite different results, Waist Point, Centre of Running Surface, Chord Centre, Optimal Flex loading point vary on this ski by a whopping 11 CM.

I think that CRS is the easiest to measure and for piste skis a good datum point.You raise a very good point in measuring the Waist Point. IMO that is where the skis wants to turn about and i am guessing, but not sure, that a good designer would located that to coincide with flex for race skis. This point is measurable but hard to do accurately with a say a pair of calipers.

Again i am thinking if one can select one point on the boot and relate that to a point on the ski without a adjustment factor for boot length that would be the best method. THen you can have a table for type of skis (SL being more forward, GS over Bof, park etc etc.)

your thoughts?
snow report
CEM wrote:
think about the COM change when you add or remove a spoiler from the boot, or make the cuff more upright, or lift the heel internally or externally or lift the toe of the boot externally, whilst the campbell balance point is relevent as you say for your boot set up as it is on the machine any one of the changes listed although small can make a dramatic difference to the COM

this is one of the areas which is in the equipment awareness modual which we are trying to get introduced

That would be very useful and yes this is much clearer to me now. I could see forward lean making a huge difference in where CoM is along the boot. Which gets me thinking and wondering would you or Andi set up a boot so that COM was over the Bof, mid point or somewhere else. THis is sssuming you could adjust forward lean, use heel lifts etc What is an optimal set up ?

Thinking about RG's comments he would advocate CoM over Navicular point, Not BoF.

or do you get the best internal fit and use toe heel shims to get delta angle correct. On Andi's balancer does he balance to boot mid point?
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
skimottaret, All my race skis are mounted using the centre mark over mounting point and ski just fine using 225mm and 235mm boots.

You described your new ones as "hooky", are you sure you are not just noticing the difference of a real race tune ? You want them to carve arc to arc.

my feet are 100 mm bigger than yours and i still havent gotten my head around the difference that makes in terms of where you should mount say a pair of SL skis. Assuming the middle of our feet each represent the top of the arch I would think that lenght is irrelevent and you should mount Boot mid point over something on the ski, what that something is i am not sure ...

I think i havent really gotten to grips yet with these properly tuned race skis so probably need to get some milage on them before making small adjustments. I am not good enough to tell very small differences in set up but was able to tell the difference a few CM for aft makes or 1 degree more or less of edge angle on other skis i have tested....
latest report
skimottaret, My previous post was wrong, my boots are 325mm and 335mm.
snow conditions
skimottaret, lever lengths are interesting things , on an average leg length (greater for you as you are so tall) 1degree of adjustment at the foot =10mm of motion at the knee!!!!!!! this applies in terms of medial/lateral shift, fore/aft it will be slightly decreased as the tip point is much longer (the sole length of the boot), but it is a major consideration

the neutaliser machine that Andi uses also relys on feel and visual, it feels better to you, it looks better too, there is no fixed point everyone is different
snow conditions
rjs, okay so same as me then. What i dont get is what the manufacturers mark is meant to represent...

CEM, Yes indeed I can see that Forward Lean is a very major issue when trying to get alignment done. probably overrides a lot of adjustment you can do and get that wrong when selecting a boot you are going to struggle to achieve good balance for an athlete.

Pressing you a bit though, After i was balanced and fit by you guys i then got my Campbell point measured by Jon. It was roughly at the BoF point. I appreciate that everyone has different physiology but if you could build a boot for an athlete and had infinite adjustment over forward lean etc where would you want his balance point to ideally be along the sole of his boot?

I would think mid point would allow him most flexibility when piloting the skis but does that ignore gait mechanics and should you be more nearer the Bof when skiing....
snow conditions
I would aim for between BOF and centre arch....being so tall you will automatically end up further forward than someone with the same set up and shorter legs

try jamming a couple fo hotel rook key cards betwen the sole fo your boot and the AFD at the toe of the binding (SKI CAUTIOUSLY...DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME IT IS AN EXPERIMENT ETC ETC ETC) have a few runs gently and see how it feels if it feels better then put a permanent lifter on the boot or under the binding ...you could also try putting a lifter under your boot and going back on the balancer...see where that puts you
ski holidays
Quote:

I would aim for between BOF and centre arch

Makes sense to me, old skool skinny skis would probably like Bof CRS ... but shaped skis would like the boot more forward. Found a very good link that talks about this very subject and comes to similar conclusions.....

http://www.realskiers.com/ARTICLES/binding_placement.htm

I have played with delta angles and for me it makes a huge difference. i have all my skis set up with 0 delta now, some have 7mm toe shims.... but for aft still seems quite important for stiff skis and i am annoyed that i cant work out where on the ski one should place their boots balance point over...
snow conditions
Okay to get even more geeky I found some more links which tie up with what CEM said that the Ideal balance point should be behind Ball of Foot. and between this and the centre of arch. This seems to be due to several reasons:

1) the foot having three main points of contact, Ball, Heel and little toe metatarsal and when skiing you dont want to be any further forward than the ball of foot as you will feel like you are going over the handle bars. The little toe is behind the ball so brings the point back.

2)virtually all ski boots have an internal ramp angle and the Heel is always higher than the toe, this is typically 3 degrees but varies by manufacturer. so if you are in "high heels" the balance point will want to be a bit further back.

As a rough guide if you take the distance between your navicular point and the ball of foot and go back 1/3 the difference you get a good "idealized" balance point.

So where do you position this point on the ski? Which method will get you the closest so that you can then adjust for personal preference.?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I must admit I find this all a bit confusing as I have only ever mounted bindings according to the mark on the skis and boots.

I understand the idea of playing with formulae and settings to get the best for yourself.

I have always thought that how things "feel" to the individual is very important. So rather than try and "calculate" the best position to mount the boots why not find some rental bindings that allow a good amount of front and rear binding adjustment. Play with different settings till you find your favourite spot on the ski then leave the bindings in that position or mark the position and drill for other bindings?

Not the geeky submission of other SnowHeads but just a thought to get the "right" placement for an individual.
snow conditions
fred, that might work fine for you but if you are really short/tall have big/small feet and are outside the statistically average human model the manufacturers setting might not be appropriate and actually hinder your skiing. Also not all skis have marks on them so you have to work it out for yourself.

The manufacturer setting is almost always further back on the ski making them skid more. Studies have shown more advanced skiers generally prefer a more forward mounting point to the Manufacturers settings.

The point of this is to try to get as close as possible before playing around with feel and personal preference. Few bindings have more than 1-2 cm of adjustment, if any, so getting close is important so you dont find yourself having to turn your skis into swiss cheese by drilling holes all over them.

Your idea of playing with some rental skis to see if a more forward or aft mounting point suits your style is a good idea. You could then mount your own skis X cm plus or minus the manufacturers point. But..... each manufacturer of ski uses different rules of thumb to position their marks and the marks themselves arent applied very accurately....
ski holidays
Yea - I agree with what you have said - but I was suggesting rental bindings on your skis not rental skis. That way you only have to drill once for the rentals then once for your own bindings. Only two sets of holes - not Swiss Cheese.

It was just a suggestion and I fully understand that you are into all the tech stuff and formulae as this thread clearly shows. I wish you luck with your quest.
ski holidays
fred, probalem with most demo/rental bindings is that they are A: heavy, B: do not go above DIN 10, C have a higher amount of delta angle than most retail bindings
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

What isnt clear to me is how best does one determine the "neutral" point of different skis. Each method gives quite different results, Waist Point, Centre of Running Surface, Chord Centre, Optimal Flex loading point vary on this ski by a whopping 11 CM.

You're trying to find a single park'n'ride spot on a ski that was designed to run in at least three different shapes (initiation, fully loaded, exit).

Consider whether BOF/CRS position isn't really relevant primarily during initiation, and whether the OF point is really paramount at turn exit.

In a lot of ways I envy you Sasquatches. You've a very good chance of having all three points within the foot support triangle. Now try the same thing with a sub-290mm boot.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-05-09 13:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
fred, sorry, i thought your idea is a good one and i understood that you advocated using a seperate set of rentals to play around with before drilling on your own skis. snowHead As a general rule of thumb it would work quite well.

An excellent idea if you could test position using adjustable rental bindings on the type of skis you own or are thinking of buying so the shop can drill your own skis to suit your needs. Toofy Grin
snow report
comprex, Not sure i am trying to find a park and ride spot, at the end of the day the bindings cant move and your looking for a good compromise.

You are one of, if not the, most knowledgeable equipment guy here with a big quiver of skis. How do you like to position your bindings? Do you use any standard method or just rely on manufacturers points and or shop technicians?

Which factors are the most important? flex pattern, longitudinal stiffness, waist point, CRS, Chord length etc. etc........

I agree that there is loads to consider but at the end of the day you gotta drill some holes in your brand new skis to suit your own physiology, the ski your on, what you want to do with that ski and account for personal preferences. Having a reliable datum point that is transferable between ski models and manufacturers can only help IMO.

The quest continues Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
Did a little more digging and came up with some interesting (to me at least as Head Geek ) info which seems to tie up with what comprex was alluding to. (my guess is that he has already worked all of this out some time ago Toofy Grin )

As a general rule of thumb Ski Manufacturers design skis so that the ball of the foot goes at the CRS and the mid point line of the boot goes to the waist point. This places 55% of the skis running surface in front of the BCM. This rule of thumb only works for those with average sized feet

What this does in effect is to put the mid sole point of the boot directly over the centre of the side cut radius so when pressuring/edging the ski the force vector is through the middle of the boot. The balance point you use to pilot the skis (your CBP or point roughly just behind your BoF) is more forward at the Centre of Running Surface to assist in steering.

The Industry standard average sized boot (Mondo 27.5 or size 9 1/2 USA 8 ½ UK mens) is approx 300-310mm overall shell length. If your feet are very big, you should therefore move your boot FORWARD not aft along the ski to account for the additional distance between navicular and BoF....
snow report
I think i have figured this all out now and have come up with a new method for mounting Alpine ski bindings which is more robust than any of the current methods.

i have one or two question marks over my theory so if anyone fancies a geek ski discussion on saturday i am all ears.
Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
skimottaret, hate to point this out mate, but you appear to be having a discussion with yourself here wink
latest report
skimottaret, tell me it doesn't involve No More Nails.... Smile
snow report
FlyingStantoni, i know i seem to be getting lost in the mist of geekery... I have passed my paper on for review to one unnamed snowhead but since your not as geeky as i thought you were (Mr. hard vs soft Ptex) may reserve showing you the light of my invention... NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy