Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

“Typically, when I think of ski towns, I think elk"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not the words of a zoologist or naturalist - these are the thoughts of Korean-American chef Honga Im Hopgood, who runs Honga’s Lotus Petal, a Pan-Asian restaurant in Telluride, Colorado.

Honga Im Hopgood wants you to eat what grows in the mountains:

Quote:
“Typically, when I think of ski towns, I think elk, and heartier fare. If there’s fish, it tends to be trout,” said Hopgood, “So it’s a definite balance having an Asian restaurant here at 8,750 feet, and trying to be conscious about the food I provide—trying to source things locally, where they’re available, and working with high altitude farmers.”

Source: World's best ski resort restaurants [Forbes.com]

Do you eat the produce of high-altitude farmers, or do you prefer air-freighted lobster?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't care that much for lobster, and I do enjoy elk, so I'm with the high altitude elk farmers on this one. There is (or was)a restaurant on the slopes in Aspen with a ridiculous name, (Krabloonik?) which serves elk, moose (possibly moose mousse) and so on, although it's probably air freighted in from somewhere else, this being USA, and very good it was too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought I was kidding with the lobster remark. Here's some text from the "Our Commitment" section of Honga's Lotus Petal website:

Quote:
When it comes to our seafood, we try to take a stand and do our part, which can be a challenge here at 9,000 feet. With that said, all the fish we serve is delivered fresh daily (primarily from Hawaii) and researched extensively for sustainability.

Source: http://hongaslotuspetal.com/commitment.html

Here's another gem:

Quote:
we launder our own napkins in-house to cut down on water usage

Could a washing machine expert please inform us how the location of a washing machine affects its water consumption?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond wrote:
I don't care that much for lobster, and I do enjoy elk, so I'm with the high altitude elk farmers on this one. There is (or was)a restaurant on the slopes in Aspen with a ridiculous name, (Krabloonik?) which serves elk, moose (possibly moose mousse) and so on, although it's probably air freighted in from somewhere else, this being USA, and very good it was too.
Agreed. I've been there too - it's the place in the middle of a wood, with a school for huskies next door, isn't it?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's it, although i'd forgotten the huskies.

When I think of seaside towns, I think 'whelk'.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond, yuk, can't stand whelks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elk jerky is excellent. The local butchers in Fernie make their own jerky out of all kinds of local fauna.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems to me all marketing ploy.

Still, I prefer elk in the mountains and lobster/crab by the coast.

For one thing, it's pretty difficult to find restaurants serving elk at say, Norfolk Virginia! (or for that matter, Manhattan). And even if I can find one, it's likely to be rediculously expensive. While I can have elk at the "cattle states" for a more "standard" fare. Fresh crab/lobster are dirt cheap at the seaside towns. So it doesn't make sense to pay a princely price to have day-old seafood at the mountains.

More over, there's at least a chance of the elk being local at Telleride but zero chance of local lobsters. Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
richmond, yuk, can't stand whelks.
I love 'em, with a bit of aioli, ideally, but chilli vinegar'll do..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy