Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva / Val Gardena

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I may well be going there from March 20. Matteo offered some useful suggestions for offpiste skiing. I'm looking for: 1) further information on advanced / difficult terrain (I know it's mostly intermediate) and 2) things to do for non-skiers.

Alternatives in the same price range are Meribel, Serre Chevalier and Lex Deux Alpes. Would you recommend any of them over Selva on the two criteria listed above? (yes I know Les Deux Alpes has access to La Grave...)

Thanks in advance for any help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had a brilliant week in Selva at the beginning of Feb, extensive ski area, jolly apres ski and fabulous scenery, In answer to your questions:
1) the blacks between Selva and St Christina are quite challenging, and Arraba also has steeper slopes, however all of the area was within our (12 weeks) skiing capabilities and 2 more advanced skiers whom we went with got bored.
2)There is a swimming pool with jacuzzi, lazy rivers etc in Ortesi, and Cortina, is an easy drive through stunning scenery.

Hope that helps, we really enjoyed it and will probably return, but it may be a bit tame for you, haven't been to any of the others so can't compare.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Advanced/difficult terrain: Look for the "Forcelle" (Forks)
There's one called the "Forcella del Sass Pordoi" just above Canazei sking area, it is lift served
Another one the "Forcella del Sassolungo", which was lift served but the lift and the run was closed years ago on danger reasons (so the lore goes)
As for nice runs, go to La Villa and ski the "Gran Risa" (the december WC GS run )
try to ski it early in the morning, from Selva you should reach it in 40 minutes one hour.
A nice run (for its scenery) is down from Passo Falzarego/Lagazuoi (one can ski back and forth, but I usually take a bus ride from Colfosco to the Falzarego, it avoid the hassle to haveto wait forthe taxibusses at Armentarola-and nearly have to fight for a place)
Porta Vescovo (here try the Surasass black run, it's alway icy) and the Marmolada are also wonderful, but to reach the top of the Marmolada took nearly 2,5 hours (there are three lifts all in a row, and the queues can be horrid, if you arrivethare at the wrong time)
Be prepared to take a taxi ride back to Selva if you spend too much time around and the lifts close.
As for non-skiing, in Selva they are famous for wood sculpture. Try the Konditoreien (cake shops) for Apfel-Struedel, I am not sure if there is a swimming pool, but some hotels should have a fitness center w swimming pool (don't know in Selva, but in Colfosco the Gran Ciasa (Big House in Ladin) is so furnished)
http://www.granciasa.com/
Colfosco is OTOH a much smaller village than Selva, but right down the valley from it there's Corvara, a thad bigger.
Anyway, the main activities for non-skiers there are :
Sunbathing, cake eating, and walking
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks a lot! Matteo, any chance of you being there around that time?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You're welcome Cedric. If I knew about your other choices would have posted about those as well.
Alas, not. I was there end of January for a week (the same week of the ESA/Gathering).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy