Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Construction of TSD6 Arpette (Summer 2009). Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
For those interested and wondering whats going where etc. lots of info on this thread. Check the forum thread during the summer as it will be updated with photos.

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7771&hl=les+arcs

Some other bits and pieces.

http://www.r-montagne.fr/r_actu/2009/i20090423.php

Before

http://www.r-montagne.fr/rm/tsd6_arpette/plan1_arpette.jpg

After

http://www.r-montagne.fr/rm/tsd6_arpette/plan2_arpette.jpg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller, Thanks for that. So Arpette will start where Col de Frettes was, & finish where it always did. No news though of any change to Grand Renard, or did I miss it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
genepi, Not heard nothing on Grand Renard? Stopped using Transarc this year, prefer to head on down to 1800 and up Vagere and then Col De Fretes and into 2000 that way. Even better next year with the new Arpette. Hope its a covered lift like Aracubelle as its bloody cold on that side.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

its bloody cold on that side

quite right Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller wrote:
as its bloody cold on that side.

It varies. It can be bitter in the Arc 2000 bowl as the wind whips up the valley, and relatively balmy on the sheltered side of the Arpette ridge. And vice versa.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, ooh yes, I wouldn't want to hang around in that flat bowl at 2000 Toofy Grin wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
rob@rar, ooh yes, I wouldn't want to hang around in that flat bowl at 2000 Toofy Grin wink

It just depends on how quickly you ski down the steeper bit...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, I've only ever once closed the lid on Arcabulle. Not sure its worth the extra cost Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
genepi, -15 most mornings this year in January coming out of the bowl at 9am with a howling gale. Worth every penny wink Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
genepi wrote:
thefatcontroller, I've only ever once closed the lid on Arcabulle. Not sure its worth the extra cost Confused

That's once more than me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, Well, if you will stay over that side...... Toofy Grin wink

rob@rar, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, aha, that all makes sense now... thank you for this - I consider it a public service ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richie_S, Not a problem. How cool new photos up on the French website, showing the start of the demolition of Arpettes. Can't find a way on their forum to link directly to the post so scroll down the thread

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7771

and

http://www.r-montagne.fr/r_actu/2009/i20090517.php
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi wrote:
thefatcontroller, Thanks for that. So Arpette will start where Col de Frettes was, & finish where it always did. No news though of any change to Grand Renard, or did I miss it?

Doesn't that mean that all traffic up from 1600 (ignoing deux-tetes drag) is going to have to go along across the top of the arpette restaurant before they can get a lift up higher. At least previously there was an option to bail and take the old arpette if the lift q wasn't too severe. Love to see that at Parisian 1/2 term

Still they've saved on the costs of a couple of lifties...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett, The single new lift will take up more persons per hour than the previous 2 and at twice the speed? On the basis of those maths you would still like to keep the 2 x 20+ year old lifts?
latest report
bertie bassett, There's always Clocheret & then over & down combourciere into 1950 Toofy Grin
latest report
I'll miss the Col des Frettes lift. There are some nice off-piste lines underneath it, so it was good for doing quick laps to make the most of new snow before having to head further afield to make fresh tracks.
ski holidays
genepi wrote:
bertie bassett, There's always Clocheret & then over & down combourciere into 1950 Toofy Grin

a lovely route home for us but marred by the pre-saint 1950 lift. The phrase 'I spent a week on it one afternoon' comes to mind wink Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Laughing
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
I'll miss the Col des Frettes lift.

Me too
latest report
rob@rar, I know the off-piste you mean... really good fun for a few laps as you say. At least it should all still be accessible thou.

The Arpette thou is a corner stone of every trip I've been on to Les Arcs - being part of our traditional 1600/Pre/2000 warm-up route. (the speed of the Pre/2000 lift contributing to a relaxing start to the morning for some, enabling those with stiff legs to rest them momentarily and the 2 gaspers amongst my friends to have a morning smoke!)

That warm up will now incorporate a short peice of flatter path section to get to the new starting point of the Arpette- which on a snowboard is probably not the nicest thing to include in a warm up!

Still a faster lift will be much appreciated....

So nothing on the Gd Renard or amendments Clair Blanc that i thought were also proposed?
ski holidays
Richie_S wrote:
rob@rar, I know the off-piste you mean... really good fun for a few laps as you say. At least it should all still be accessible thou.

Yes, just not so convenient as you'll have to ski across the Arpette ridge to get to where the Col des Frettes lift used to disembark. The CdF lift never seemed to have a queue, which I hope continues to be the case with the new lift.
ski holidays
For unashamed saddos Embarassed Embarassed

Looking at the long distance shot of top of Bois De L'Ours and Arpette Lifts under 'Haut TS Arpette et bois de l'Ours' magnifying glass you can see that the top of Arpette is gone.

http://www.lesarcs.com/Webcam-Arpette-GB-2420m.html
snow conditions
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

For unashamed saddos

Laughing
I shouldn't laugh we were looking at a digger and a lorry in Montalbert on the webcam trying to work out if Tina's chalet is having it's new extension built! Laughing
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Yes old boy, You are in the glasshouse with me throwing stones wink Laughing (off to check Monty webcam Embarassed Embarassed )
latest report
New photos and a blog in French.

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?s=5f08846a689a293f418a05ec1624651c&showtopic=7771&view=findpost&p=93299
ski holidays
And a couple more photos stolen from the bizarrely name website

Good bye old friend so long and thanks for all the rides...

snow report
New photos Cool Cool

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=7771&view=findpost&p=94098
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you think it will be uphill to the top of L'Ours from the new lift? If not then going Vagere / arpett will make for an even quicker trip in to th lower end of the 2000 bowl. snowHead
snow report
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Do you think it will be uphill to the top of L'Ours from the new lift? If not then going Vagere / arpett will make for an even quicker trip in to th lower end of the 2000 bowl. snowHead

No it won't. Keep using Transarc its the best route wink Laughing
latest report
New photos Cool

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?s=8d77134984c596470e532c5dfee40f67&showtopic=7771&view=findpost&p=96258
snow report
New Photos Toofy Grin Looks like the lift will come up right across Claire Blanche?

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=7771&view=findpost&p=97548

http://www.r-montagne.fr/r_actu/2009/i20090727.php
ski holidays
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Keep using Transarc

Almost every time we go to Les Arcs the Transarc has broken down..... Sad
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Keep using Transarc

I can see a weight joke there but its just not fair........................ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Keep using Transarc

I can see a wait joke there but its just not fair........................ Toofy Grin

There is a bit of a wait but we found a really old lift nearby which although old and slow seems to work quite well Very Happy
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
but we found a really old lift nearby which although old and slow seems to work quite well Very Happy

Like Montalbert then.......... Toofy Grin wink Laughing
snow report
thefatcontroller, Gotta keep the Grockles away somehow wink
ski holidays
Quote:

old and slow

Time for sandwiches, cup of tea from the thermos and 40 winks under the tartan blanket then? snowHead
snow report
Lots of new photos Toofy Grin Cool . A clear indication now of the route the chair will take.

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=7771&view=findpost&p=98861
ski holidays
The Arcubelle webcam now gets a fuzzy view of the top station, which arrives where the old one did. I thought it was coming up further along the ridge for some reason, but this means good access to all the skiing as before.

Nice snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy