Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season 09/10

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm having a bit of a conundrum and would appreciate any advice. Basically I'm leaving uni this year and I'm currently planning on doing the 09/10 season. I've adready purchased a work visa for Canada from BUNAC to start the ball rolling and I've been intending on spending the season in Whistler.
Few issues with this that I didn't properly think out before buying the visa...

1) The olympics mean that accommodation is limited and very expensive unless I can secure a job with the mountain through intrawest - that leads me onto the next problem..

2) As far as I'm aware, Intrawest are using independent companies to recruit for winter positions. The only one that have a recruitment fair in England is OWH (Overseas working holidays), after calling them today I've found out that all the interview positions for that recruitment fair have already been taken.

I'm not sure where to go from here.. is it too risky to wait until October to go to the recruitment fair before the season starts, and try and get my accommodation sorted then as well? The guy I spoke to from OWH said that most of the seasonal positions will be filled prior to that recruitment fair in Whistler and it'll be hard to get a job if I leave it that late.
Are there any alternative companies that recruit in England? Any job on the mountain would do..

Basically what it comes down to is that I don't want to wait until October, go to Whistler and stuggle to find a job or accommodation.
At the end of day I could get a refund on the visa (lose out on £85), cut my losses and go somewhere else..

In which case; where in Canada or USA is the best place to do a season in terms of good off-piste and snowfall, and lively apres-ski?

Thanks for any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why the need to go to Whistler. Not the placei would want to be during the olympics. Even in BC there are dozens of other resorts to choose from. I believe there is even a thread which discusses them from Kicking Horse/Fernie/Banff all in detail.

Does the Visa also cover the US? If so you have more choice than you can imagine, but like i said BC is the place to be. Theres more to BC than Whistler.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had 3 months in Banff last year, probably the best time of my life. I don't know much about working or accommodation but I do know you need to agree a lease very early. Sometimes starting as early as October. Ski hills start opening in November. Expensive lift pass if that is a concern. If you want any info. give me a shout.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're set on Whistler ask to go on standby list for the interview fair. Otherwise stick a pin in the map of BC and you can find a great place to spend winter. Work your ass off in your summer job to bank an accomodation deposit you can lay down by October.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv, Is it true that you have to get a bus to/from the mountains each day. If so did you find this a problem? Also what is the apres-ski like, I went to Banff when I was about 10 so obviously I have no idea..

Also, FREESKIER, It doesn't cover the US but I am considering applying for jobs and seeing how it turns out in the US. Currently I'm thinking Heavenly (Lake Tahoe) as thats the only place I've skiied in the US. Can you recommend anywhere?

fatbob, Unfortunately I've tried this but they're having none of it.. might just go out there and try my luck then if not go to Fernie
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skibum22, the buses didn't bother me at all, I quite liked some time in the morning to chill and eat some food and have a chat and stuff but that's just me, I guess that could be done at home as well. A car for Banff would be ideal. Nightlife in Banff is ace.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv wrote:
Nightlife in Banff is ace.

I understand that Banff is also the STD capital of Canuckistan. These facts may not be unrelated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
arv wrote:
Nightlife in Banff is ace.

I understand that Banff is also the STD capital of Canuckistan. These facts may not be unrelated.

Yeh, it is. Probably the Aussies Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I too have had the same problem with OWH, they required a £300+ fee and only had pot washing jobs when I spoke to them a few weeks ago. Do you know when the date of the recruitment fair in october?

I was in Whistler for 05/06 season and prepaid accommodation for about £3000. When I arrived the locals thought this was outrageous and could have got a room for about 2 thirds of that price.

I didn't have a job when I arrived but found one in a matter of days and went on the whistler spirit course, so my pass was only $1000 (pretty cheap!)

TBH my mates who've been there for the past few seasons have said the snow hasn't been that great and the mountain's been opened without a decent snowbase. Plus the fog that hangs around mid section makes visability a bit pants too often. I was thinking about checking out Banff or some places in Alberta, the bonus of Whistler is the sea to sky highway enables you to get to and from Van easily.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boardbum, Not too sure when the recruitment fair is at the moment..

So if you do go out to Whistler are you going to wait until you're out there until you sort out accommodation and a job?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go to Jackson Hole, WY!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last year there was NO job fair held by Intrawest (in Whistler), basically all the seasonal jobs were taken by people at those international and Toronto interviews. The quality of employees was good this year, so Intrawest will probably do the same thing for next year. There was managers/senior supervisors from all the departments at all the fairs, so maybe it is run and organised by a local company, but the people doing the interview are the people you will be working for.

If you want a mountain job, then find a way to get an interview if that is the only fair in England.

There are a few 'job fairs' held by local hotels, but that is obviously for hotel work only. Normally around mid to end of Oct.

Intrawest, Fairmont, Westin and a few other (not many) places offer staff housing. Although they don't have rooms for everyone, so its first in best dressed and then you have to have your own accommodation to be employed.
Accommodation will be VERY hard to find this year.

Also, if you wait until October, I seriously doubt you will find accommodation. You may get lucky and score a room somewhere (you better get into the bars and splash some money around) but I doubt it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy