Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Chair for Zurs/Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Found this online at: http://www.austria.info/xxl/_site/au/_area/412318/_subArea/754379/_subArea2/777977/_aid/1031577/Ski.html

Quote:
Another new lift is set to commence operations in Lech/Zürs. The new 6-seater chair lift with protective weather canopies and heated seats will offer quick and extremely comfortable rides up to 2.450m.

Does anybody know where this chair is to be installed?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is called Muggengrat bahn on several websites, so maybe a replacement for the old 2 seater chairlift, just guessing anyway...

www.lift-world.info

http://alpinwiki.alpinforum.com/index.php/Neue_Lifte_Saison_09/10

According to www.lift-world.info there will be a gondola from Alpe Rauz to Albona - Stuben for 2010 construction

http://www.lift-world.info/en/lifts/projects/page1.htm?PHPSESSID=bb5d6cb9c70518e849b33f13ab33de27
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting. Muggengrat rarely attracts a big queue. Bigger queues on Madloch.

Wonder about the need for this lift - although sitting on a heated seat will be a pleasure. The old lift was freezing!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ulmerhutte, True about the queues... I love the old 2 seater up from Zug back to Lech - what an atmosphere as you near the top.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is Muggengrat the lift to the left of the lake as you get to the top of the 4 man chair from Zurs that goes off at 10 o clockish? The 2 man straight ahead around the right of the lake that takes you up to go down to Zug is more in need of an improvement. Always a 15 minute queue when I was there at Easter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ernie, yes, and I agree, the other chair is busier IME. The need for a gondola from Alpe Rauz up Albona is not immediately obvious to me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ernie, Muggengrat is the chair on the left, and it takes you to the top of Zursertali, ie the long run back into Zurs, which finishes near the Trittkopfbahn (cable car).

I agree the other chair, ie Madloch, gets much busier, but I think the run would have to be reshaped to cope with the traffic that a higher capacity lift would generate. There are a few choke points on the run into Zug, that could become quite hairy with a big increase in traffic. (I however normally ski it early in the morning, with hardly a soul on it, so no probs. wink )

I guess they would then have to also fix the Zug chair, otherwise the queue would just shift to there - although there rarely seems to be as many people waiting for that chair, as with Madloch. Are some people still out there trying find their way back???
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Stuben Gondola has been talked about for years. One of the reasons Stuben is so quiet is because of the cold north face chairs. That will change after the Gondola install.

http://www.vol.at/news/vorarlberg/artikel/aufruestung-auf-der-albona/cn/news-20090323-07394343

Anyone remember the old chairs at Sonnekopf (at least you were sheltered by the trees) before they got round to putting the Gondola in there?

The German Forum has been discussing ideas about the Stuben Gondola & linking to Zurs for some time.

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&p=469887&hilit=Wenn+die+Geschichte+mit+Paziertal+sich+nicht+ausgeht#p469887
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
The Stuben Gondola has been talked about for years. One of the reasons Stuben is so quiet is because of the cold north face chairs.
Good point.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Must add that the German Forum idea about chair up to Zurs from Stuben will never happen as no more new lifts can be built in Austria. The deadline was last year I think.
At least I know of no submitted approved plans for Stuben Zurs chair.
Only replacement of old lift systems & projects that have already been approved & in The Arlberg case that is the Rendl link to Kappl & Lech link to Warth.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
Must add that the German Forum idea about chair up to Zurs from Stuben will never happen as no more new lifts can be built in Austria. The deadline was last year I think.
At least I know of no submitted approved plans for Stuben Zurs chair.
Only replacement of old lift systems & projects that have already been approved & in The Arlberg case that is the Rendl link to Kappl & Lech link to Warth.

Stanton, do you have a reference for that? I understand the Austrian government will not approve new ski areas, but there was nothing to stop existing ski areas adding lifts. Have I got it wrong?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Stanton, do you have a reference for that? I understand the Austrian government will not approve new ski areas, but there was nothing to stop existing ski areas adding lifts. Have I got it wrong?

No new lifts (as in totally new lift variants, cuttings , new terrain).
They can only build lifts if they submitted the projects for approval & even then they may not be approved. I cannot remember when the deadline was I think it was end of 2008.
There is information about this on the web but I dont have time to dig it up.

You may find something in these sites
http://www.naturschutzanwalt.at/
http://www.umweltanwaltschaft.gv.at/
http://www.tirol.gv.at/themen/umwelt/naturschutz/

Thats why the big areas that want to join up into massive 3-4 Valley style areas have already got there plans in. Like the proposed Serfaus, Lardis, Fiss,See Ski Region . Some of the other Tirol areas also have plans in.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ulmerhutte, I have a friend who is a charted surveyor for lift companies in summer (ski school owner in winter) and he said the same when talking about it recently. No new lifts or pistes, only exceptions are to replace older systems and to eliminate hazardous conditions. The accident/incident logs have to show that any black spots really do exist. Mind you they can be fairly inventive when doing this and elimination of potential hazards on new developments has led to re-grading and alternative routes being provided for "safety's sake" of course. wink

I'm seeing him again soon so I can check the actual latest situation then

Sue wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All, No new hotels either then hopefully, or existing resorts will simply become choked Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sue... I wonder if I met the same guy on a chairlift at Lech this winter. He was however a ski instructor, not a ski school owner, but his summer job was surveyor. The latter seemed to entail a lot of heli flights to the tops of mountain to confirm the GPS co-ords of the summit markers.

Anyway, I digress... I guess it must be true, but it seems a strange move for a country that makes some much money out of ski-driven tourism.

I wonder if St Anton and Iscghl managed to get their plans to join the resorts in before the deadline? It has been discussed by the locals for a long time, but I do not know if it has any basis in fact versus wishful thinking.

Similarly, St Anton and Zurs. While I know there is no desire by Zurs to connect by lift to StA today, I wonder if they put plans in "just in case". (Given that reluctance, I wonder what would compel Lech and Warth to connect? Cannot see much in it for Lech, and creates a whole bunch of issues around getting people home if the connecting lifts have to shut unexpectedly. No winter road between the 2 places.)
latest report
The only way St Anton & Zurs will connect is if they run out of Diesel for the Busses & they cant get Hydro or Electric replacements!! The Valluga Tunnel is the only plan I know about but its unlikey as there is no way to get back (other than bus) & its not accesable or usable in bad weather.

Thats true about Hotels as well. There is a complete Freeze in St Anton. Only pre submitted plans or replacements for old Hotels.
In anycase many Hotels are financial trouble so why build more?

There are ENOUGH lifts in Austria. We dont need anymore. There are allready 3,003 lifts in operation in 334 Ski Areas, how many more do you need?

The St Anton (Rendl) link (2 chairs) to Kappl will go in season (2010/11). The roads & pipework have allready been done last summer.

The Lech Warth link is planned. The environmentlists will have the last word.
snow conditions
Paznaun Valley will be very attractive, Ischgl - Samnaun, Kappl - St Anton and See - Serfaus will be accessible within a short bus ride.

I find the whole topic of new lists, connections etc. very interesting, specially in Austria.
If anyone knows the website with this sort of information please let me know.

I use www.lift-world.info and www.alpinforum.com, however I don't speak German so it can be very hard with Google translator Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy