Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The future of British ski racing will be determined this Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This Sunday sees the annual general meeting of Snowsport GB, the governing body of British competitive skiing and snowboarding.

As a colleague reminded me this morning, 2009-10 is a Winter Olympics winter, so the funding of our ski teams will be a priority in the chairman's report to that meeting. It was confirmed the other day that the contract of SSGB's chief executive Mark Simmers was terminated on 29 April so the appointment of a new CEO will be something of an imperative too.

A glance at the relevant page of Snowsport GB's website ...

http://www.snowsportgb.com/about/public-information/meeting-minutes

... indicates that no minutes of any meeting have been posted there since 2007. There are no minutes of the 2008 AGM on the site, though presumably they've been mailed to people. I wonder what's happened since 2007?

Anyone planning to be at the meeting?

Here's a who's who of who could be there:

http://www.snowsportgb.com/about/staff/the-board
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't wish to be picky but the first link above gives notice of the 2008 AGM (it happened a year ago this week) but gives no notice of the 2009 AGM.

I assume all interested parties have been notified by post, but this inconsistent and patchy use of the internet seems a bit unsatisfactory.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, I assume members are notified by direct post or email?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today's the day of Snowsport GB's AGM. So this article from the Independent on Sunday concerning Sir Clive Woodward's views on 'Team GB' are worth noting. Sir Clive is now 'Olympic performance director ', on a reputed £300,000 p.a.:

Sir Clive Woodward: Alchemist on hunt for more gold nuggets

Quote:
So what qualities can he bring to the winter sports table? "I'm enthused about the Winter Olympics because I am a big skier [his son is a ski instructor] and I think I can help us win medals there. We've had some great results recently with women's bobsleigh and bob skeleton, and snowboarder Zoe Gillings [whose programme he has helped to formulate].

"We now have some outstanding athletes and the winter sports world is getting worried about us. So it is time to put the Eddie the Eagle image behind us. We've got to move on and the only way to do so is be successful. All you want is for people to deliver their best performances and the medal table will look after itself.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No news from the Snowsport GB AGM - a reflection of journalism having limited scope in our national sport? Was any writer present?

According to the Snowsport GB website, Mark Simmers (whose contract, we're officially told, was terminated 19 days ago) is still chief executive of the organisation:

http://www.snowsportgb.com/about/staff/administrative

I don't know how many national organisations webcast their annual meetings. A couple of cameras can, I imagine, handle it. One can be trained on the 'top table' and the officials making their presentations. Another could be pointed at a spot where those from the floor raise questions for the board. It's really difficult for most people to attend annual meetings of the organisations they belong to, or work for (or which represent their interests). This boost to communications could be beneficial, and better than journalism anyway because the proceedings would be broadcast raw.

I suppose it would cost a few thousand pounds to do this webcasting properly, but a great way to bring people together.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy