Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what is CSIA Level 1 ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, makes sense if the member has no interest in working outside Canada I suppose (I can only assume that for the most part CSIA instructors only really work in Canada). No doubt if they are optional and the skier has much of an interest/isn't inhibited by the money factor then the people will do them anyways

The avvy course IIRC is an independent lot from the CSIA.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 14-05-09 17:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CSIA 4:

# Prerequisites:CSIA Level 3 + CSCF Development Level (Trained) + 2 day GS module or
# CSIA Level 3 + CSGA Basic Skills Course + 2 day GS module or
# CSIA Level 3 + CSCF Entry Level (Trained)+ Snow Park certification + 2 day GS module
# Exempted from taking the 2 days GS modules are: Members with Level 3 CSCF OR with 100 FIS points or less.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd actually much prefer to be able to do the CSIA3 then modules to make it an ISIA rather than be forced to jump through the hoops to do it all at once - BASI, from what I understand, does seem to have a *lot* of hoops/modules/stuff to get through - Spyderman mentioned a CRB check? Surely that's something an employer should do not an organisation?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC wrote:
Surely that's something an employer should do not an organisation?

Maybe, although if you work for 3 or 4 different ski schools during a season a centrally administered CRB system (with one payment, not multiple payments) begins to make sense.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
also worth noting that the BASI Enhanced CRB check flags up convictions, cautions and "intelligence " reports if you are under investigation for serious crimes. If you are under investigation for child offenses but not convicted a CRB wont show anything.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
also worth noting that the BASI Enhanced CRB check flags up convictions, cautions and "intelligence "
My Enhanced CRB didn't find any intelligence. I did wonder whether I should be offended or relieved...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I did my CSIA instructor courses, I was shocked to find that any sort of First Aid course isn't part of the requirement. I asked the trainer what happens in the event of an accident, he said ''call the Ski Patrol'', I said the person could be dead by the time they arrived. Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretty sure that's a liability thing... joys of working in the land of lawsuits. First aid is one thing I'd like to get qualified for, though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Could be the key. Even over here rugby referees are told not to take first aid courses, or if they have anyway, not to use the skills in a match incase they get it wrong (leave it to the team's nominated first-aider).
skimottaret wrote:
I did hear that CSIA was looking to come up with additional modules for L3's and L4's so that they can qualify for the ISIA rating but not require a "standard" L3 to do em if the instructor isnt interested in the ISIA stamp.
It's certainly the impression that I've been given.
DaveC wrote:
CSIA 4:

# Prerequisites:CSIA Level 3 + CSCF Development Level (Trained) + 2 day GS module or
# CSIA Level 3 + CSGA Basic Skills Course + 2 day GS module or
# CSIA Level 3 + CSCF Entry Level (Trained)+ Snow Park certification + 2 day GS module
# Exempted from taking the 2 days GS modules are: Members with Level 3 CSCF OR with 100 FIS points or less.
(For those that are unaware - CSGA = Canadian Ski Guide Association).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
and the 2 day GS module, if I remember right, involves an equivilant to the eurotest/speedtest. There's definitely an equivilancy somewhere in the course, anyway.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, though I gather that the standards were slightly different - or more to the point the method of achieving results wasn't quite right, though that is something else they're supposedly looking at. It does sound as if they are concerned that even if they adapted it to meet the exact ISIA requirements the French would still play silly beggars over it...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

BASI, from what I understand, does seem to have a *lot* of hoops/modules/stuff to get through - Spyderman mentioned a CRB check? Surely that's something an employer should do not an organisation?

This it to meet ISIA requirements, that also includes a set number of hours "training" you have to do.

The thing is with a BASI qualification (depending on local laws) you don't have to be employed by an organisation, you can just teach privately. The public should feel confident that if they book a BASI member for a lesson, even if not attached to a ski school, they can leave their children with them. As I understand it SSE and SSS introduced CRB checks well before BASI.

Quote:

Pretty sure that's a liability thing... joys of working in the land of lawsuits. First aid is one thing I'd like to get qualified for, though.

The question of being sued came up in the Red Cross first aid course I did recently. They said that if you have a valid first aid certificate and have followed what you were taught then UK courts will not find you liable. Say for example you moved someone with a possible back injury away from a burning car, they become paralysed and then sue you saying they'd rather have died. The course trainer said that in this sort of example what you have been taught (saving life always comes first) common sense prevails. Of course in some other countries the courts may not be so sensible!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some very interesting stuff here, lots of things I didn't know.
Excellent
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy