Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain urges skiers: "Keep It Green"

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman, but if diesel economy is 25% greater than a comparable petrol engine then the green advantage will also be greater
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, oh yes, I agree. I'm just saying that the "green advantage" would be much less than 25%.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hot on the heels of their "Go green or nanny will spank your botty" email, the SKGB are offering us the chance to take part in a nice eco-friendly TV thing that appears to use copious amounts of helicopter miles... http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?intStoryID=6434

Are the marketing super brains in charge also part-time MPs?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, mostly ex chalet girls, I thought. Not so?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith,

Any reply from the SCGB yet Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stewart, yes, I've just checked my email and (concerning the opening post on page 1) the response from the Club is that they are monitoring this thread with interest and have pointed out this section of the SCGB website:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/respectthemountain/environment/skiclub.aspx

I have 're-requested' responses to the opening questions:

Quote:
- How many journeys taken by SCGB reps last winter were by train, and how many by air?
- How many journeys taken by SCGB executives last winter were by train, and how many by air?
- How many journeys by the SCGB's travel operation (Ski Freshtracks) were by train, and how many by air?

It may well be that the above data is not compiled as a matter of course by the Ski Club, so I've said that there's no huge hurry and will await a response in reasonable time.

In the meantime I'm puzzled as to why the comments of johnboy on 12.5.09 (21.42 hrs) weren't moderated. Could the mods please explain this?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

In the meantime I'm puzzled as to why the comments of johnboy on 12.5.09 (21.42 hrs) weren't moderated. Could the mods please explain this?

I must admit I raised an eyebrow when reading that post but assumed it would be modded off.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, it's possibly because this is a DG SCGB thread, and so the mods haven't bothered to read it. You (and indeed DG) can always PM a mod if concerned.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He gave his opinion of some people, he may be wrong in his opinion of a person or a club but, he is entitled to his opinion.

He did not use profanities unless they were automatically reworded! It would be interesting to see the replies of the club and see for ourselves if they are green or not! I suspect we all know the answer, if anyone skied with a rep this year you may well have been told. Transfers from GVA was a nightmare wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roy Hockley, I doubt very much that the SCGB will bother. FWIW, their holiday department did plan some holidays by train one year. I gather they were poorly supported, and so dropped as not viable. I travelled to the Alps by train for skiing twice this year (perhaps DG will tell us what he did). It was the right thing for me - but not cheap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
(perhaps DG will tell us what he did)

Steel wheels (London-Edinburgh) + rubber tyres (Edinburgh-Kingussie-Aviemore-Cairngorm)
Rubber tyres (London-Milton Keynes) (full 7-seat vehicle)

The Aviemore trip may have been CO2-optimised with onward transport from Edinburgh by rail and public bus from Aviemore-Cairngorm, though the train burns a lot of diesel to get over the Drumochter Pass (1300ft).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, so you did not go to the Alps at all. And I suspect most reps take their skis with them - IIRC you had none on the Cairngorm trip.
One of the binds I found when taking the train was lugging the skis at Paris and between KX and St P. Not a huge problem, but they were quite inconvenient. I could excuse the reps for not taking trains as they went to their allotted resorts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stewart woodward, from your bio: "He has skied many parts of the world..."

Do you have a green policy?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
David Goldsmith, so you did not go to the Alps at all.

A reasonable deduction from the data above. That's correct.
achilles wrote:
And I suspect most reps take their skis with them

Quite possibly so. I'd imagine that some of them secure a pair of rentals in their designated resorts. What is your point here?
achilles wrote:
IIRC you had none on the Cairngorm trip.

That's correct. We couldn't secure a single pair of hire skis in Aviemore, which presented significant logistical problems. The place was heaving (half-term).
achilles wrote:
I could excuse the reps for not taking trains as they went to their allotted resorts.

I've no view on Reps, individually or collectively, on that point. I've simply asked the Club how many Reps travelled by train and how many by air, given the Club's encouragement of others to take the train.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If found that the reps take the very dirty and politically incorrect aircraft to their destination (even if they pay for it themselves) will they ask their representatives to fall on their sword. Just like your politicians over there in the UK do!! Our politicians do not have a history of resigning, even when they receive money in suitcases! wink We must be proud that we have true hypocrites running our parliament, I wonder are they equally proud in Wimbledon?

I personally dont have a problem with anyone wishing to to travel by plane, train or automobile, however you go is fine by me. It is just that if you promote something you should/MUST set an example!
snow report
Roy Hockley, bijou point: although the reps get lots of skiing, their allowances do not cover their expenditure (or that was so in the past) - so no comparison with UK politicians.

David Goldsmith, the point about skis is that they are very awkward things to carry around long platforms and between stations. Had your recent experience of that, you might think it less reasonable to impose trains on the reps - and therefore ask the question you did. If you really had no view on it, asking the question was pointless. But then it was a DG question so ..... rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
Roy Hockley,
Quote:
you promote something you should/MUST set an example!

Should or must? Make your mind up, taffy!
snow conditions
achilles, I have a vivid recollection of single-handedly hauling six pairs of skis around Munich Hauptbahnhof in the rush hour (long skis, not the stunted-growth specimens we see today) - and into the U-bahn - so I wholeheartedly agree with you.

What we need on stations are good old-fashioned ski porters.
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
What a load of tossers. SCGB can go and feck off. What aload of pompus gin drinking ladies' front bottoms Toofy Grin

wee wee off you Be Nice please! paddy poo-poo head lady's front bottom that you are. We kown where you Be Nice please! live. Laughing
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
.....What we need on stations are good old-fashioned ski porters.

Actually, even today when we have trolleys and wheeled luggage, there are times when I thin we could do with old-fashioned porters on hand to help members of the public struggling with luggage. I can do retro.
latest report
achilles, yeah, it's more difficult heaving luggage in and out of trains nowadays, because wheeled cases are so much heavier.
snow report
Why is that? Are the wheels really heavy?
snow report
PJSki wrote:
stewart woodward, from your bio: "He has skied many parts of the world..."

Do you have a green policy?

I don't have any particular green policy. I believe in recycling as much as possible, which is much easier in France than the UK.
latest report
stewart woodward, ok, thanks.

David Goldsmith wrote:

Because women today are fatter and they need bigger therefore heavier clothing.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
Yes, they can be.
latest report
As a matter of intrest I used to go to Switzerland regularly by train, taking the night train (originally from Calais, then Oostend, then Brussels and Finally via Paris, now even the Paris Train has been stopped, I actually prefer going by train, but when the trains no longer run it becomes a problem, going by train now means leaving London on some of the earliest trains in order to arrive in resort on some of the latest and given that it takes 2 hours for me to get up to London followed by 30mins to get across Loondon and a further 30mins check in (minimum) it's no longer practicle to go by train.

What I found particularly frustrating was on several occasions being told by various train staff that the reason the rains were going to be stopped was that the French Railways were putting up prices to the point where it was not economic to run the service (it was not due to lack of demand the sleeping compartments frequently being full to capacity). I subsequently found out from a Swiss politician who had made more detailed enquiries into the matter, that these price increases only occured on lines that didn't go to French resorts, the obvious conclusion being that the French wanted people to go to their resorts and no one elses, but then I don't suppose that particularly surprises anyone Sad
snow report
achilles, Our politicians can wink

PJSki, cant make my mind up just yet! No doubt you are waiting like me to see if our club elders are hypocrites or just pompous and jumping on the band wagon. TAFFY Puzzled
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
achilles, honeybunch - well I've emailed Emma so she can take a look at the questions above and provide some interesting answers.

Few care. You are wasting staff time.

I'm told there will be a resolution at the next AGM to have your membership withdrawn. It seems you have p*ssed off some people who don't like being dictated to by a non skier like you.

I'm further told that dozens of reps and members are gathering signatures to support this resolution as demanded under the terms and conditions. Apparently the people collecting signatures only need to sign a relatively small number each.

Looks like your goose is well and truly cooked. My advice to you is to resign rather than face the ignominy of expulsion. Whatever happens, I would imagine your nose will be rubbed in it for years to come.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Well the 'soft' bag I have has a hard shell holding the wheels and the expandable handle - my guess is that does add to the weight - maybe 1½ Kg, compared to the no-wheeled equivalent I used to use.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
In a multi-point newsletter emailed today today to thousands of skiers, the Ski Club of Great Britain urges skiers to ...

- "opt for train travel over air travel"
- "encourage tour operators to go green"

... and also to adopt other constructive ways to reduce litter, conserve energy, minimise use of resources and protect the mountain environment/wildlife. All very worthwhile and worthy. The full newsletter is readable here

I'm sure the newsletter's author/editor - Emma Pearson - would like to remind us what the Club and its staff are doing to reduce air pollution (in terms of main travel to/from the Alps - not transfers):

- How many journeys taken by SCGB reps last winter were by train, and how many by air?
- How many journeys taken by SCGB executives last winter were by train, and how many by air?
- How many journeys by the SCGB's travel operation (Ski Freshtracks) were by train, and how many by air?

Obviously this isn't exclusive territory for the Ski Club. The ski industry as a whole needs to reduce air pollution if we've a chance of stabilising manmade CO2 levels. How many ski operators have conducted a carbon audit of their operations, which would enable reductions in air pollution to be monitored, year by year?

Anyway, let's start with the SCGB, since my club is making a big public appeal to "keep it green".

The SCGB is encouraging, not forcing, its readers to ski green.

Therefore, in my view, the SCGB is well within its moral rights to encourage, not force, its staff to go green.

Separately, everyone should ignore all green fundamentalists.

The world has been heating up since the end of the last Ice Age.

For thousands of years.

Taking one less flight makes not a serious jot of difference.

Overpopulation, not overtraveling, is the main underlying longterm threat to future of the planet / human race.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
......Overpopulation, not overtraveling, is the main underlying longterm threat to future of the planet / human race.

Yup.
ski holidays
There's a large degree of hypocrisy in any skier talking about going 'green' because all 99.9% can do is merely reduce their so called carbon footprint.

Even the the guys who walk up the mtn, often on the friggin perfect piste that I'm helping to pay for whilst they don't, have got there by car etc.

So it's not black or white, we're merely talking about shades of grey, the depth of the grey largely driven by the depth of the pocket.

Whitegold, whose pockets are pretty deep, makes a very pertinent point re 'over' population.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
The SCGB is encouraging, not forcing, its readers to ski green.

No one has ever used the word "forcing", but the newsletter's text goes beyond "encouraging", which is why I've described it as urging. Take a look at the text:

The Edge newsletter

Here are some extracted quotes:
Quote:
It was a fantastic winter season with some of the best snow for 25 years. Let's make sure it stays that way!

I assume that means "let's ensure that snowfall is maintained by addressing climate change".
Quote:
Encourage tour operators to go green

The SCGB is a tour operator, so it's pertinent to ask what measures its subsidiary Ski Freshtracks has taken to reduce air pollution. Ski Freshtracks has been encouraged for some years now to "go green." What has been its response?
Quote:
Cut down your carbon footprint; take public transport and opt for train over air travel.

That comes across to me as stronger than an encouragement, and reads more like an instruction. Certainly a persuasion.
Quote:
If you want it to be white, keep it green...

That's Emma Pearson's sign-off line at the base of the newsletter, so that seems to be the SCGB's mantra/push - "Keep it green".
snow report
David, the URL you posted for the newsletter here shows your email address - not sure if you know that - but I thought I should point it out - I would not want mine on open display.
snow conditions
Thanks. I was wondering if the link can be generated with a shorter URL?
ski holidays
Looks as though it can, so now it has been wink
ski holidays
Breaking News... I am reliably informed by a very reliable source, that the request for information regarding such matters as reps' travelling arrangements and their green-ness, has now been escalated to the Chairman of SCGB perhaps because certain folks below that level didn't understand the question. I expect this will knock MPs' expenses right off the front page. I hope my reliable source will still be alive to update me on developments. Don't have nightmares.
snow conditions
Wow what a fantasticly friendly, uncomplicated, not at all sarcastic(mmmmmmm), bunch of like minded people you are. Makes good reading though, out of interest has the SCGB replied yet, anywhere?
Sorry to interupt, please carry on. I think it may be a long summer not affected by the green policy or lack of green policy as mentioned above. Any one got any ice for my organic fairtrade G + T. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Rocki, Have they replied? I think the original poster has had some response but he didn't think it answered his questions. I don't think anyone follows a green policy here because skiing ain't green.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Thanks for that, I didn't see the second more lovin page until my post come up, I had a green pair of skis once fischers i think. Any way thanks for the prompt reply, please carry on. Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy